Dogs in a hot car in Phoenix

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Dogs in a hot car in Phoenix

Post by centrop67 »

I think that you approached the situation correctly by asking the store to find the owner of the vehicle, but you were probably legally able to take additional action (first calling the police) and then extracting the dog. The problem is even though you may have civil immunity, you never know the consequences of any confrontation you might have with the dog owner on scene.

Arizona Law:
Arizona: HB 2494 provides civil immunity for persons who rescue a domestic animal from a locked and unattended vehicle after notifying law enforcement.
Here in Florida: (Law Instituted in 2016)
Florida: Stat. § 768.139 grants civil immunity for damage to the vehicle for a person who “enters a motor vehicle, by force or otherwise, for the purpose of removing a vulnerable person or domestic animal,” as long as certain conditions are met, such as first calling 9-1-1, using no more force than is reasonably necessary, and remaining with the vulnerable person or animal in a safe location near the vehicle until law enforcement arrives.
I've also seen a lot of push-back (discussions) from people on the laws that allow breaking into a vehicle to rescue a dog.

Finally, I believe the temperature that could generate a dangerous situation for dogs in a vehicle is MUCH lower than 90 degrees.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I've been on the other side of this twice.
Both times with Aurora.
First time was in winter. Had a lady lambast me for leaving her in the truck when it was maybe 40°F. Told me the dog was suffering and going to freeze to death. I thanked her for her concern. There was not going to be any reasoning with her.
Second time was in the spring. Maybe 70°. Cloudy& breezy. Windows wide open. She can't/won't/doesn't leave the vehicle. A woman lost her mind about it. Told me she was going to take my dog.
The second one is the one that bothers me. If a person like that tried to "save" En, I'd be sued and Endeavor would be killed.
I get that people want to hep. I appreciate that. But there is no accounting for intelligence in this particular vigilante approach.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Quote: "Stanford University School of Medicine conducted a study to measure the temperature rise inside a parked car on sunny days with highs ranging from 72 to 96 degrees F. Their results showed that a car's interior can heat up by an average of 40 degrees F within an hour, regardless of ambient temperature. Ambient temperature doesn't matter - it's whether it's sunny out. Eighty percent of the temperature rise occurred within the first half-hour. Even on a relatively cool day, the temperature inside a parked car can quickly spike to life-threatening levels if the sun is out. Precautions such as cracking a window or running the air conditioner prior to parking the car were found to be inadequate."

Car out of the sun, windows way down, less than 30 minutes, and available water are the keys. Even 60 degree sunny days can get dangerously hot in a car, over 100 degrees.

Or just get a remote start like I did, so the A/C is running.

ETA to make clear the first paragraph wasn't from me
Last edited by Tennessee3 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

There's actually a law preventing me from(legally) running the engine while I'm away from it here in Maryland.
As someone whose spent a lit of time working out doors and using crappy old work trucks, the whole "parking in the sun" thing is one I always take for granted. Even if it's cooler out, I park in the shade with the dogs. If I'm gonna be a while, I account for the shadows creep. Just something that's so ingrained in me that I forget to talk about it.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have no problem calling cops and then if the dogs are in distress, I will break the window, dont care.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Yes, I think that the stipulation that police should be called first is imperative. It's much easier to take a rational approach that way.

It's the one's that overreact and don't take that step that are a problem - and I can see where that can be a real big issue.

I've run in to the gas station a couple of times with Leela and Radar in the SUV. Every time I do it I expect to hear some noise from someone. However, if they were to try to "break" my dogs out they're more likely to get bit. For that reason I try my best to NEVER do this.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

TimL_168 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 pm There's actually a law preventing me from(legally) running the engine while I'm away from it here in Maryland.
As someone whose spent a lit of time working out doors and using crappy old work trucks, the whole "parking in the sun" thing is one I always take for granted. Even if it's cooler out, I park in the shade with the dogs. If I'm gonna be a while, I account for the shadows creep. Just something that's so ingrained in me that I forget to talk about it.
Well that's certainly an... interesting.... law.

Good to hear, alot of people don't understand it's the sun not really the ambient temperature (which shouldn't surprise me but it does, it's very basic science). The rays heat up the metal and radiate the heat inward and the blacktop is radiating it upwards.

I need to get my windows tinted, I still worry about some do-gooder busting out one of my windows to "save" my pup. Who would be less than receptive to their noble efforts, to put it mildly.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Yep. It's law. It's illegal for someone to warm up their car here. If the engine is running, the driver must be in the car. I'm not exactly sure what the penalty is, but I'm sure it's enforced more than the penalties for actually stealing a car that was left running.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I have a Mercedes sprinter that’s my dog truck with an ac unit on it (kinda like the ones for rvs) I’ve had people freak out on me!!! (My dogs go apeshit if someone walks by the car) and I’ve had people threaten to smash my windows out... and when I say do you see that box on top of the truck that sounds like an ac unit well that’s an ac unit lol and they leave me be... I never leave my truck out of sight for this reason.... but I always tell them thank you for your concern and checking out the situation I may even open my truck so they can see it’s nice and cold in there... on the other side I’m with Dutchgirl I’ll smash a window fast if a dogs in distress... the key is to get the crazy ass people to calm down and evaluate the situation first! Most don’t they just freak out cause they are too stupid to investigate first! You break my window unlawfully I’m having you arrested and pressing charges after you get out of the hospital with severe dog bites!!!
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

Post by ralbucks »

I've had a woman come at me when I was staying on a patio at a table with an umbrella with the dog in the shade, water next to him telling me, for maybe 3-5 min max, with an angry face I should not keep the dog in the heat.Not in a car, but in open air! :DSlove: When I thanked her for her input,but that he is Ok in the open air, she called me a moron. I guess that word gets used a lot. Guess there are plenty of people who will get into your business, but really they don't have anything better to do or their day did not go well so they take it out on you. And it is the over-vigillant people who scare me the most. If I saw a dog in a hot car I would do what the first poster here did, but I would not get into someone's business like that woman did to me.