Shady breeding

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Kenda
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi from Oklahoma! I have 2 outstanding Dutchies, a snarly dachshund, and 3 horses! I love long walks on the beach.. oops wrong kind of about section! ;) Seriouslyy though, I'm kinda new to the breed, just about a year, and we love taking our animals on trips, hiking, etc.

Shady breeding

Post by Kenda »

So there’s a conversation going in a working dog forum I’m in. Essentially, a reputable breeder gave a washout bitch to someone with the promise that she’d be spayed. The person who got the dog, didn’t spay her, bred her, and used the original breeder’s kennel name to raise her prices. Obviously, this is wrong. But my question is, can a washout for military or K9 still be a good dog to breed? Dutchies are popular, and not everyone wants one for scent detection, bomb, or other bitework. They make fabulous agility dogs, as well as family, or personal Protection.

So in this case, yeah the original owner had expectations and they weren’t met. And he is correct to be pissed.

But his argument, aside from the obvious, are that breeders who aren’t breeding true working k9’s are doing a disservice to the breed. True or false? Opinions welcomed..
Kenda/mom/pack leader
Mike/OH/pack leader mate
Lovie/snarly 7 year old dachschund who sleeps, eats, pees, and snarls
Shadow/ gorgeous 9 month old puppy Dutch Shepherd female
Max/newest pack member, 4-6 year old male Dutch Shepherd
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Shady breeding

Post by centrop67 »

Kenda wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 am But my question is, can a washout for military or K9 still be a good dog to breed? Dutchies are popular, and not everyone wants one for scent detection, bomb, or other bitework. They make fabulous agility dogs, as well as family, or personal Protection.
That may depend on the reason for the washout. The worst case scenario is when it's a washout due to aggression. Now you have dogs ending up in shelters, having bite incidents, and then ultimately BSL (Breed Specific Legislation).
Kenda wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 am a reputable breeder gave a washout bitch to someone with the promise that she’d be spayed.
There should have been a contract and a refundable deposit (once spayed). Verbal agreements can be binding, but much harder to enforce. I am not blaming the breeder, but good business sense could have prevented the problem.
Kenda wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 am breeders who aren’t breeding true working k9’s are doing a disservice to the breed
I've read recently where one organization is encouraging increased breeding to keep the DS going. But, that has to be breeding with a purpose whether it's K9 Service solely, personal protection, or one of the many other activities the breed is capable of.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers