Alpha K9 in Greenville, SC

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Malapterus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud new owner of Schneider, male black brindle shorthair from Alpha K9 Kennels

Alpha K9 in Greenville, SC

Post by Malapterus »

Has anyone ever heard of or dealt with this breeder? I am having trouble finding reviews online - the ones on YELP are actually a different location.

They apparently have a couple 12 week old pups ready to go for $1500, and roughly $300 to have a pup delivered from there to PA. The owner states on the site & to me on facebook that they prefer to discuss business over the phone, which is weird, but I don't know if it's unusual.
Malapterus
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Alpha K9 in Greenville, SC

Post by centrop67 »

Are you sure you have the name right?

I couldn't find them affiliated with the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce.

I couldn't find them through any other type of search.

Closest I could find is Alpha K9 Solutions in Henderson, NC which is ~90 miles from Greensboro.

Unless you can find someone with experience with them, I would proceed with caution.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Malapterus
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud new owner of Schneider, male black brindle shorthair from Alpha K9 Kennels

Post by Malapterus »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm Are you sure you have the name right?

I couldn't find them affiliated with the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce.

I couldn't find them through any other type of search.

Closest I could find is Alpha K9 Solutions in Henderson, NC which is ~90 miles from Greensboro.

Unless you can find someone with experience with them, I would proceed with caution.
It's GreenVILLE, in SOUTH Carolina. I'll find out what township/borough that is and do a little look myself
Malapterus
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I have heard of them. I spoke with them when I was looking a puppy back in 2013. Send me a private message if you would like to talk about it more.
Karen & Xander
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

My DS was breed Alphak9kennels.. she is the most high drive dog anywhere around. She has zero fear of anything. I have her as protection dog for my family since I constantly work out of town but I would not recommend for beginners. I've been offered thousands of dollars for her by k9 trainers because she is so hard and quick and intelligent.. that being said she does great around my family but any stranger that comes on my property will be bitten if I'm not at home. If I'm outside with her she is cautious but fine. She's already bitten 3 people on separate incidents.. all 3 incidents she was doing her job but alphak9 breeds very very hard dogs that are quick to bite. She CANNOT be around other dogs even as a pup.. So if you are looking for a pet I would steer very clear of these knpv bloodline dogs from this breeder... but for a protection dog or working dog you would be at the right place.. It all depends on what you are looking for. Wouldn't trade my dog for any in the world though..
Malapterus
Just Whelped

Post by Malapterus »

I went ahead and took the risk and it paid off. So far the only negative I have is when he shipped the dog up he bought the kennel at the airport which ended up costing me an unexpected $125, but it is a very good kennel.

He apparently has non-high-drives and I picked up a 13 week old male. He was very well behaved when he first came home and remains well-behaved today, even though he has come out of his shell of shyness. In less than a week he has learned to live inside and climb stairs and is doing pretty good on the housebreaking.

He doesn't come when called and does not understand 'no' very well yet, and also does not respond much to toys that squeak. I thought perhaps he had a hearing issue, but he responds to odd high-pitched noises I make as well as toys that 'grunt' instead of squeak. I think he just needs to learn to pay attention to me!

His fur is super soft and he was very healthy when he arrived, with medical records of all the appropriate shots. Right away he was eating and drinking normally & after two days he was eliminating normally.

He was barking in his crate the first few nights, but we did not know he needed to be 'acclimated' to it. Last night after just one day of acclimation and some exercise at the park he hardly made a noise all night.

He wants to be close all the time, but does not need constant attention. My roommate puts a dog bed next to the computer and the dog will hang out there quietly, napping or amusing himself with a chew toy, for hours with no fuss.

He cost me $1500 via wire transfer to the breeder, and $463 in shipping including the kennel.

Once we find him the right toys & housebreak him fully, I am confident he will be a very good dog for the house. As of right now, I would whole-heartedly recommend this breeder, though I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I make the guy a Yelp page.

Before I bought, I went on their Facebook page and contacted a few of their commenters. One responded and has had her dog for a while and wants to get a new one from the same breeder soon. This is what ultimately sold me on this breeder & I am glad it happened.
Malapterus
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I am happy it's going well.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I'm surprised but very happy for you lol.. I hope your new pup turns out to be a great one. The breeder Bob seemed very very knowledgeable when I met him so I'm sure he sent you the right dutchie for your situation. Best of luck
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Glad it’s working out.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
baronson7069
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 4 year old Dutch Shepherd

Post by baronson7069 »

Buyer beware!

We are responsible dog owners. We have raised a doberman, German Shepherd, Labrador and GSP at separate times.

We bought a Dutch Shepherd from these people. They assured us that their litters were raised for both working and residential pet purposes, and that they would place us with one suitable for household pet.

The dog is now 4 and a special needs dog based on super high animal agressiveness. He re-direct bites, and must be muzzled outdoors at all times. He spent 5 months in service dog training with the miracle workers at SIt Happens in Pennsylvania. They saved his life. He will need to be managed the rest of his life.

Come to find out through blog research and talking with another owner of one of the siblings, these people had an entire litter of problem dogs. Some worse than ours. Our research on blogs indicates that most of the litter had to be put down by their respective owners due to aggressiveness.

I hope these people suffer they way we have in raising our dog. Stay Away! Boycott!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

baronson7069 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:38 pm Buyer beware!

We are responsible dog owners. We have raised a doberman, German Shepherd, Labrador and GSP at separate times.

We bought a Dutch Shepherd from these people. They assured us that their litters were raised for both working and residential pet purposes, and that they would place us with one suitable for household pet.

The dog is now 4 and a special needs dog based on super high animal agressiveness. He re-direct bites, and must be muzzled outdoors at all times. He spent 5 months in service dog training with the miracle workers at SIt Happens in Pennsylvania. They saved his life. He will need to be managed the rest of his life.

Come to find out through blog research and talking with another owner of one of the siblings, these people had an entire litter of problem dogs. Some worse than ours. Our research on blogs indicates that most of the litter had to be put down by their respective owners due to aggressiveness.

I hope these people suffer they way we have in raising our dog. Stay Away! Boycott!
Did you contact the breeder and let them know this was an issue when it started? So much more goes into genetics and environmental exposure.. glad you kept your dog and recieved proper training... but to blame the breeder for this isn't really fair.... there's so many more factors that come into play here.. now if you contacted them and they did nothing I could see making a post like that... but the puppies may have shown the behavior they felt would be a good fit and it didnt turn out that way... Yoda and one brother of his are the only dogs out of 8 that are alive.. two were put down for similar issues you are describing and a lot of that was from their bad training and the genetics of the dogs... could they blame his breeder yes they could but it isn't that simple to point the finger and say its alpha k9s fault... I know plenty of people with positive experiences with them... obviously you had issues and did what you could with what you got...
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

What kinds of people had the other dogs? Where they people that wanted a dutchie because it was cool? Did they put them in situation that created the aggressive behavior? Honestly the dutchie is not a dog for people without experience with working dogs with intense drive... hell my dog is handler aggressive he feels I was unfair with a correction... but I know the line that I shouldn't cross with him and I have a wonderful relationship... but he's also an IPO dog that trains 5 days a week and had time in his outside pen during the days I cant work him... he probably would have been in the same situation as your dog if someone without experience had him.... just saying you cant put it all on the breeder... unless you contacted them when the issues started and they did nothing to help you... this is a risk you take buying a dog like a Dutch shepherd
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

^^well said !
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 am hell my dog is handler aggressive he feels I was unfair with a correction... but I know the line that I shouldn't cross with him and I have a wonderful relationship...

Even Thalie, who is low prey drive, super quiet and sweet, has gone up the leash on me when she felt the correction was unfair, so even a quiet DS can be handler aggressive and she is from champion stock.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 am ^^well said !
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 am hell my dog is handler aggressive he feels I was unfair with a correction... but I know the line that I shouldn't cross with him and I have a wonderful relationship...

Even Thalie, who is low prey drive, super quiet and sweet, has gone up the leash on me when she felt the correction was unfair, so even a quiet DS can be handler aggressive and she is from champion stock.
It's part of the breed.. not a fault on a breeder... breeders sell puppies and expect people to have done their research and train
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

It's part of the breed.. not a fault on a breeder... breeders sell puppies and expect people to have done their research and train
I had a ton of Ring training under my belt when I got Thalie and learned that was just part of what they did. I saw it happen a lot and had it happen to me. No matter what went on, I never blamed anyone else.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

I had a ton of Ring training under my belt when I got Thalie and learned that was just part of what they did. I saw it happen a lot and had it happen to me. No matter what went on, I never blamed anyone else.
Same thing when I got Yoda I knew what I was getting into
baronson7069
Just Whelped

Post by baronson7069 »

We called the breeder to discuss at 5 months when the problem was becoming obvious.

The breeder (the old man I believe) told us "sometimes you need to string em up and let em know who is boss." As he used a racist metaphor. That was all the help or advice they could or would offer.

We inquired extensively about their demeanor and appropriateness as pets/non-working dogs before we purchased.

disgusting people as far as I am concerned.
baronson7069
Just Whelped

Post by baronson7069 »

And just because our guy is loved and is lucky enough that we could afford the extensive training and management, and we love him dearly,

doesn't make what those people are doing ok.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Sounds like handler issues, people not knowing how to manage these dogs, and trainers encouraging over correction creating aggression issues. This breed doesn't tolerate heavy handed type correction for long.