Puppy Kindergarten

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
bobbyblakem
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Living in Charlotte, NC I'm an attorney that works actively with Craft Breweries. In addition I'm an avid runner, training for my first Marathon. We just adopted Iris our half Dutch Shepherd half German Shepherd puppy on 01/17/18. She was born 11/19/17.

Puppy Kindergarten

Post by bobbyblakem »

How does everyone feel about puppy kindergarten? Is it worth it? We have a retired police dog trainer which will begin doing one on one sessions with Iris but she won't start working with her until 4 months, so I'm wondering about whether or not I should be doing something more than my training with her in the interim.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Puppy Kindergarten

Post by centrop67 »

This is a critical time in your pup's life to learn how to react to the outside world. How much faith/trust do you have in those running the facility?

It's great that you have a trainer lined up, and I know there's lots of opinions available here on the forum, but ultimately your trainer is going to have the best advice in this area. She will know what's in store for the pup, and what's best for her before that starts (Hopefully).

I would keep going with the one-on-one obedience for now.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

training is always good as long as the trainer knows what they are doing.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Maybe save the money and wait for the trainer. Teach puppy the very basics and enjoy the puppy and the antics
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Jas31663166
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Working dog owner

Post by Jas31663166 »

I started bring Cajun to doggie daycare to socialize him but started training on day one with just me and him.
But when he turned 6 months I had a former navy seal (that actually trained dogs for the navy) and then for the police department where he retired and man what a difference in just 2 days of training.
Cajun is fully off leash now and know listens very well , as much as a 9 month old can lol
And he is now working on protection work