Stay, Run, Jump, Tug

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Stay, Run, Jump, Tug

Post by centrop67 »

I started a new game with Radar this week, and I am regretting it, because I am afraid for my fingers.

Basically, I ask him to stay at a distance, I hold out (to my side) his tug toy, and then I say get it. He comes running, jumps, and then grabs the tug (Hopefully, without my fingers). He seems to want to grab the tug as close to my hand as possible, and I have to be quick to keep from getting bit. No blood yet, but some close calls.

He was already way excited to play tug when I offer it to him. Now he gets over the top when I pull out the toy, so I would love to find a way to make this safer.

Suggestions?

Can I train him where to grab the tug? I've thought about salad tongs.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Stay, Run, Jump, Tug

Post by TimL_168 »

I deal with the same thing with En. She does it with the flirt pole, a tug, rope-ball...everything. If it's just her tug, she'll start off gripping it farther down. As she gets more excited, she goes up closer to the hand. I think there are two considerations of the same factor ; flinching. Flinching is bad. No matter what you're doing. I've definitely caught myself moving my hand away as the dog comes in. Being dogs, with a quicker reaction time, they adjust. We're probably actually teaching them to go closer to the hand because the hand will be moving away.
To avoid this, I use a hand on each end of the tug very often now. She'll go right for the middle. With the rope-Kong, I'm doing "take it" drills. She only gets rewarded when she avoids the rope.
Alternatively, you can get a cheap set of boxing gloves. That was actually a fun thing to do with Aurora when we were younger.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I agree with TimL_168... Hold the tug with both hands out in front of your body so the dog has to bite upwards and targets the center of the tug. Avoid holding the tug too low.. this seemed to work great with Karma when I first started working with her and this is also how I was shown by my first k9 trainer who has trained hundreds of working dogs all over the world.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Wes Thomas wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 am I agree with TimL_168... Hold the tug with both hands out in front of your body so the dog has to bite upwards and targets the center of the tug.
This works great when I am standing right in front of Radar, but how do I not become a bowling pin for the distance game?

I guess a little rotation pivot at the right time would work but still sounds dangerous.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

received_10206790353332905.jpeg
received_10206790353332905.jpeg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
Targeting is a very important skill for any dog that is toy driven. Start with something bigger, like a bite pillow.
Patty and Ice
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Bite pillow purchased! Should have it on Saturday.

Thanks for the tip.
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

ICE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm received_10206790353332905.jpeg

Targeting is a very important skill for any dog that is toy driven. Start with something bigger, like a bite pillow.
I didn't think to mention that...En's main tug is a 12".
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oooooooooooooooooh I never taught mine to come and grab anything from my hand from a run. Sadie is so quick that she still will grab things from me when she is really hyped up, she has a very hard time keeping control, i have to be on my toes to keep my fingers.

If I play or reward them, the tug gets tossed at the last minute. I teach Fetch , Rapporte(aport) and
Go Out, En Avant(on-a-vahn).
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I got the bite pillow on Saturday. I got one with the handles inside.

Radar was like what the heck is that thing when I first showed it to him, but it didn't take him long to understand.

We played so hard last night when I got home from work, and I ended up with a blister on the back of my thumb from the new toy. So much for safety.

He absolutely LOVES it, however (Thanks Patty).
Michael
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Great job Michael! He will learn targeting quick. Here is another toy I just bought that ICE and I really like..
http://www.almk9equipment.com/Mini-roun ... p100077271
Patty and Ice
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, thats fantastic!!! That pillow looks great!! Ill have to get one for Sadie !!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 am I started a new game with Radar this week, and I am regretting it, because I am afraid for my fingers.
:lol:

Basically, I ask him to stay at a distance, I hold out (to my side) his tug toy, and then I say get it. He comes running, jumps, and then grabs the tug (Hopefully, without my fingers). He seems to want to grab the tug as close to my hand as possible, and I have to be quick to keep from getting bit. No blood yet, but some close calls.
:pint:

He was already way excited to play tug when I offer it to him. Now he gets over the top when I pull out the toy, so I would love to find a way to make this safer.

:yernuts: :pint:

Suggestions?

Can I train him where to grab the tug? I've thought about salad tongs?

:duh: :pint: :wtg:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I’m going to follow you Michael on this. Please keep us updated.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

[/quote]

This works great when I am standing right in front of Radar, but how do I not become a bowling pin for the distance game?

I guess a little rotation pivot at the right time would work but still sounds dangerous.
[/quote]

:pint: :popcorn:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm Bite pillow purchased! Should have it on Saturday.

Thanks for the tip.
Where did you get the pillow from? Please let us know what you think of it.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you Patty for the bite pillow suggestion. I will have to find one to buy too.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG