Questions about people selling DS

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Goldpanner
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am looking for a forever companion dog. My previous dogs passed away after 14 years and 14.5 years, they were siblings (brothers). They were rescues from the British Columbia SPCA and their breed mix was Chow/Mastiff cross. I am interested in a rescue because no dog should be left behind.

There are no bad dogs....only bad owners.

Questions about people selling DS

Post by Goldpanner »

hello all,

I found a DS in Vancouver, British Columbia on Kijji and I have questions for everyone:

-I asked some questions about age, why are you giving him up ($1500), any health issues, who were the breeders.
-they told me the age Born March 16, 2017, no health issues, not into the breed and the breeders were Von Weise.
-They wanted to know why I was asking about the breeders; I wanted to know bloodlines. They did not think the DS breeders were still into DS anymore. I did not get the telephone number. All they said about the parents were from America and were protection dogs.
-They told me they breed German Shepherds and this was their first DS. THey said they were co-owners in a female DS and it died from a c-section and they got a male pup as compensation. Now they don't want it. They don't have enough time for him.

My question for everyone....does this not seem weird that the pup would not go back to the original breeder? The people seemed nice enough to text with and got some information; but I am not sure about this.

Thanks in advance.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Questions about people selling DS

Post by TimL_168 »

That all sounds pretty shady.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree, something is not Kosher
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I realize that in this case you wouldn't be getting a pup, but most of the advice in the Selecting a Breeder post should apply - Especially given they are breeders (DS, GSD, or other).

It seems odd to me that they would have a problem with asking all the right questions.

I know they got the dog for free from the original breeder, but they should have received hip screening and bloodline information. If they don't do due diligence for their own dogs, how can they be trusted?

Did you get a chance to meet the dog? Do they offer a contract for health or re-homing concerns?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Yep. Everything Michael said.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

That's the we don't want him cause he's a shitter and we don't want the breeder knowing we are selling it people
Goldpanner
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am looking for a forever companion dog. My previous dogs passed away after 14 years and 14.5 years, they were siblings (brothers). They were rescues from the British Columbia SPCA and their breed mix was Chow/Mastiff cross. I am interested in a rescue because no dog should be left behind.

There are no bad dogs....only bad owners.

Post by Goldpanner »

I never met the dog because Vancouver is an 8 hour drive to Vancouver from my location in Trail. I was looking for some information but it did not seem right.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

If it doesn’t seem right, it usually isn’t. I hope the pup finds a good home and that no one gets taken advantage of.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG