Training my DS

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
GunnersMom2018
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm 47 and have owned dogs all my life. This is my first Dutch Shepherd, his name is Gunner and he is 4 months old. We live in WV

Training my DS

Post by GunnersMom2018 »

Is it better to train a 4 month old DS in a obedience class or one on one?
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Training my DS

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Depends what you are looking for... One on one will get you better results but less socialization... and vice versa.. personally i do one on one and add socialization into the training but not all one on one trainers do that... explore your options and higher a good trainer... I find i get the best results out of my clients when I do one on one in their home ... but we also do field trip training in public once the dogs obedience is very good
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree with Steve ( Of course). Personally, I would rather work on OB first and get the dog to understand you and what you are asking, then take them out in public and work there.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Both are good options. Do your research and find good quality trainers. No offense to pet store type training but... in my novice opinion, that’s like the Walmart of a type of training for such a high end, intelligent, DS puppy. :DSlove:
I wish I could have Steve train with Rouge and me for a week once a year. :DSorange:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm
I wish I could have Steve train with Rouge and me for a week once a year. :DSorange:
Training with someone quality like steve in such a high drive sport is so cool. I miss it so much. I could bring my basset over to him and have some fun ! :eek:
ImageImage
Amyaskinbeck
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live in California and currently have two dogs. Mallory is 9 and a rescue she is german shepherd/rottie. We also have a 10 month old german/Dutch that we got at the age of 4 weeks. He was abandoned and very sick. After 15 weeks of antibiotics and 2000 in vet bills he is our baby. He has passed the CGC certification and the Advanced CGC. He is currently doing protection training right next to our city’s finest canines. We never heard of the Dutch breed until our little Tucker came into our lives and we are so happy he has.

Post by Amyaskinbeck »

We did personal training first and got his puppy training, through a reputable trainer . Then we went to a trainer more suited for the breed to get his good citizen certification. After that his has continued with the trainer but in a group setting doing protection training. We started him as soon as he was done with his shots. We did the socializing ourselves. Taking him places and let him meet other dogs and different types of people. He also goes to daycare once a week just so he can be in a large group of dogs. I agree with not taking him to pet store training they will only give the basics. My brother went throug pet store training to the advance classes and his dog still is unruling.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm Both are good options. Do your research and find good quality trainers. No offense to pet store type training but... in my novice opinion, that’s like the Walmart of a type of training for such a high end, intelligent, DS puppy. :DSlove:
Bring that booty out!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm
Training with someone quality like steve in such a high drive sport is so cool. I miss it so much. I could bring my basset over to him and have some fun ! :eek:
Bassett on the long bite hmmmm hahaha
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm
Bassett on the long bite hmmmm hahaha
If the decoy had a yummy cookie , then watch her !!!!!
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:31 am
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:00 pm Both are good options. Do your research and find good quality trainers. No offense to pet store type training but... in my novice opinion, that’s like the Walmart of a type of training for such a high end, intelligent, DS puppy. :DSlove:
Bring that booty out!
I will work on it. Maybe next year.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG