When to Give Free Reign of House?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: When to Give Free Reign of House?

Post by Joxgirl »

karenz wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:40 pm I started working with Xander around 8 months old leaving him out of the crate. I bought an internet camera that I can view from my phone. It has audio on it. I would put him in the room with the camera and leave the house. At first I would just go outside and eventually built up to going to the store and running errands. I could watch him on the camera and keep an eye on him. It gave me piece of mind to see what he was doing. If it looked like he was up to no good I’d turn on the audio and tell him to “leave it”. It was kind of funny because he’d look at the camera like “ where are you and how did you know what I was doing”. He actually did really good and never destroyed anything. I think I got lucky with him. He stays in the house as long as I need him to and doesn’t bother anything. It took a month or so to build up to a couple hours. He did fine but I took it slow and gradually built him up to basically being alone 4 or 5 hours if needed.
Genius!!!!!!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This photo can be our " motto" :wynar: :dswink"

although the newbies may wonder what the heck we do here :lol: :lol:

Dogs??? Alcohol??
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:31 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm :wynar: :wynar:

Now THIS photo needs to be on the cover !!!

The face is so perfect !!!
I agree. Was it a real photo or photoshopped???? Can Michael just close his eyes long enough for us to sneak it in the contest? Maybe we can all pass his a round of that bottle..... :pals: :lmao:
1)That bottle is almost empty.
2) overnight. I've been giving her free run day and night for months now with no problem.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Wes Thomas wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 pm Karma was around a year old. Now she's never crated unless we are traveling somewhere or she's at the trainers house. I was nervous at first about leaving her unattended but my wife insisted. My wife said "how is she going to protect me while you are out of town if she's in her kennel?" So she's limited to the hardwood floors only but has had 0 problems..
I think this will be our strategy as well. I want my boy to sleep in our bedroom so badly but his crate is just too large. Once he is past adolescence, I think he will get the privilege of sleeping in the bedroom without his crate.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
sysyphus
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Foxy

Post by sysyphus »

Foxy is 8 months and she has never spent a day in a crate. Tried it a couple times and she got out. Couch has been chewed up a bit that's it, she is pretty chill.
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:51 pm Image
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:38 am Never mind. En just chewed the zipper off off my only good coat.
:pint: :pint:
😂😂😂
Kalia and Brodie
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

I leave Brodie out of his kennel in small incriminates. We have a 2 story so even leaving him d/s by himself is a test. I have a saying..... ‘A quiet Brodie is a bad Brodie’. But he surprises me sometimes when I sneak d/s and he’s laying there chewing on his bone like a good little guy.
Kalia and Brodie
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:51 pm Image
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:38 am Never mind. En just chewed the zipper off off my only good coat.
:pint: :pint:
All I can think about is the Somali pirate meme. En's thinking. "This is my jacket now" ...or she's thinking "b!t*h, play with me or I'll eat your Tito's, too"
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

oddbird wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 pm [quote="

I think this will be our strategy as well. I want my boy to sleep in our bedroom so badly but his crate is just too large. Once he is past adolescence, I think he will get the privilege of sleeping in the bedroom without his crate.
We moved furniture out of our bedroom just to put that big crate in our room, But it is so crammed tight.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 am This photo can be our " motto" :wynar: :dswink"

although the newbies may wonder what the heck we do here :lol: :lol:

Dogs??? Alcohol??
Yes!!! That’s what we do. :hic: :beer: :wynar: :pint:
And then there is Steve. :smokin:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:35 pm
oddbird wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 pm [quote="

We moved furniture out of our bedroom just to put that big crate in our room, But it is so crammed tight.
We would have to move our bed out of our room in order for his crate to fit. Somehow, I don’t think the hubs would got for that :lol:
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

We would have to move our bed out of our room in order for his crate to fit. Somehow, I don’t think the hubs would got for that :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: Would he consider switching up rooms...swap your bedroom to the living room and living space in the bedroom?? Ha ha ha. These dogs change our lives.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG