Border Collie vs. Dutch??

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
MckennaV_90265
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to Dutch Shepherds, previous experience with Malinois.

Border Collie vs. Dutch??

Post by MckennaV_90265 »

Wondering if anyone has owned both a Dutch and a Border Collie at the same time and can offer some insight on how the two breeds differ personality and requirement wise?
Some background on Ridge ( our five month old Dutch) : We got a Dutch because my fiancé and I are super active and I have all the time in the world to give to a dog that requires a lot. We needed a dog that was going to be protective of us, able to go all day long and not become tired yet relax with us on the couch sometimes. And thats exactly what Ridge is... so far...
He's awesome, super responsive, incredibly smart, always listens, protects us like crazy, and chills with us when we relax. I run, hike, and work on agility with him around 4 hours a day and then train, play mind games and teach him new commands and tricks, or scent work for around 1-2 hours every day. I assume the new puppy will have around the same opportunity and time to exercise and learn.
We are considering a Border Collie for our next dog, not anytime soon, maybe in a year or so when Ridge is done mentally and physically maturing. We want a dog with the same energy level and intelligence as Ridge but not the protectiveness, Ridge is our protector and we like that but want the new pup to be a bit more chill around strangers and strange dogs, not bark at every noise it hears or feel like it needs to attack new dogs that approach us.
Would a Border fit our lifestyle like Ridge does? Are they protective? Do they require the same exercise and mental stimulation? I realize they are herding dogs and like to herd people, other dogs and other animals, this is fine and Ridge exhibits some of this behavior as well, he herds the rabbits, our two old labs, and will follow the cat around, but is gentle and never injures them. Will a Border Collie do this as well?
I am also a bit of a hard ass when it comes to obedience. Ridge knows that I am in control and knows that disobeying commands is not an option. Yes, we play and have fun but when I give a command Ridge listens, I don't tolerate any aggression or dominance in the household, all my animals get along and I make sure Ridge knows that he is not the boss, I am.
Will a Border Collie need a firm hand like this? Are they able to chill around the house at the end of the day?
Attachments
IMG_8969.JPG
IMG_8969.JPG (26.33 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
MckennaV
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Border Collie vs. Dutch??

Post by Dutchringgirl »

MckennaV_90265 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 pm Wondering if anyone has owned both a Dutch and a Border Collie at the same time and can offer some insight on how the two breeds differ personality and requirement wise?

OOOH You will require TWICE the amount of :pint: :pint: :pint:

Some background on Ridge ( our five month old Dutch) : We got a Dutch because my fiancé and I are super active and I have all the time in the world to give to a dog that requires a lot. We needed a dog that was going to be protective of us, able to go all day long and not become tired yet relax with us on the couch sometimes. And thats exactly what Ridge is... so far...
He's awesome, super responsive, incredibly smart, always listens, protects us like crazy, and chills with us when we relax. I run, hike, and work on agility with him around 4 hours a day and then train, play mind games and teach him new commands and tricks, or scent work for around 1-2 hours every day. I assume the new puppy will have around the same opportunity and time to exercise and learn.
We are considering a Border Collie for our next dog, not anytime soon, maybe in a year or so when Ridge is done mentally and physically maturing. We want a dog with the same energy level and intelligence as Ridge but not the protectiveness, Ridge is our protector and we like that but want the new pup to be a bit more chill around strangers and strange dogs, not bark at every noise it hears or feel like it needs to attack new dogs that approach us.
Would a Border fit our lifestyle like Ridge does? Are they protective? Do they require the same exercise and mental stimulation? I realize they are herding dogs and like to herd people, other dogs and other animals, this is fine and Ridge exhibits some of this behavior as well, he herds the rabbits, our two old labs, and will follow the cat around, but is gentle and never injures them. Will a Border Collie do this as well?
I am also a bit of a hard ass when it comes to obedience. Ridge knows that I am in control and knows that disobeying commands is not an option. Yes, we play and have fun but when I give a command Ridge listens, I don't tolerate any aggression or dominance in the household, all my animals get along and I make sure Ridge knows that he is not the boss, I am.
Will a Border Collie need a firm hand like this? Are they able to chill around the house at the end of the day?
I know border collies are just as high on crack as the DS, but I do not think they are as protective. They will be a good pair since they both require a ton of stimulation, mental and physical.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I've had 3 border Collies. 1 as a child and 2 as an adult and in my opinion they are great great dogs. Out of all 3 Collies none of them were protective of me. Come to think of it they weren't aggressive towards any other animals or strangers lol. My dutchie karma is very high drive and can't be compared to any other dog I've had. Of course the Collies liked to play but not even the one that could catch freesbies and fetch well had the speed or agility that Karma has. Now my Collies had much more of the herding instinct than my dutchie but I never personality utilized it in any way but it was quiet funny to watch them heard the neighbors cattle lol. Karma could care less about any other thing in this world other than her ball, freesbies or bite sleeve. Now both are very brilliant dogs and I hate to be biased but I know karma has more potential and learns quicker but that could change on a dog by dog basis. My only concern which you've seemed to address is that your ds will do well with another dog. Karma will absolutely not tolerate any other dog but again each dog is different. I know there are alot of factors but I can't think of a better dog to fit your lifestyle than the border collie. I absolutely love them but for my and my family needs our dutchie fits precisely since we need the protection aspect as well with me being out of town often for work. I hope you find a good breeder for your border collie. Best of luck. My best border collie was a rescue lol even though I've paid high prices for big name breeders.
MckennaV_90265
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to Dutch Shepherds, previous experience with Malinois.

Post by MckennaV_90265 »

Wes Thomas wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 pm I've had 3 border Collies. 1 as a child and 2 as an adult and in my opinion they are great great dogs. Out of all 3 Collies none of them were protective of me. Come to think of it they weren't aggressive towards any other animals or strangers lol. My dutchie karma is very high drive and can't be compared to any other dog I've had. Of course the Collies liked to play but not even the one that could catch freesbies and fetch well had the speed or agility that Karma has. Now my Collies had much more of the herding instinct than my dutchie but I never personality utilized it in any way but it was quiet funny to watch them heard the neighbors cattle lol. Karma could care less about any other thing in this world other than her ball, freesbies or bite sleeve. Now both are very brilliant dogs and I hate to be biased but I know karma has more potential and learns quicker but that could change on a dog by dog basis. My only concern which you've seemed to address is that your ds will do well with another dog. Karma will absolutely not tolerate any other dog but again each dog is different. I know there are alot of factors but I can't think of a better dog to fit your lifestyle than the border collie. I absolutely love them but for my and my family needs our dutchie fits precisely since we need the protection aspect as well with me being out of town often for work. I hope you find a good breeder for your border collie. Best of luck. My best border collie was a rescue lol even though I've paid high prices for big name breeders.
Thats awesome! They sound like amazing dogs! Glad to hear about the lack of protective instinct,I just wouldn't be able to handle TWO super protective dogs. Introducing Ridge to the new pup would be key, Ridge actually loves to play with adult dogs, loves our friends dogs, which have become his doggy friends, and the neighbor dogs, he just has issues with new strange dogs he's never met, but only if they approach him, me, or his doggy friends, for the most part he will ignore strange dogs. If we're on a trail or a run with one of his doggy friends and a new dogs approaches, Ridge will actually guard his friend from the new dog.
MckennaV