Where did you get your DS

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am new to the dutch shepherd world. I grew up with Golden Retrievers, English Spring Spaniels, and pitbulls. I camp and hike a lot so I am looking for the perfect companion to go on adventures. I am extremely into obedience training. I love the feeling of being able to walk my dog off leash and he/she will follow all of my commands.

Where did you get your DS

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

I would love to hear where everyone got their DS from? Thoughts on breeder?
-Sly
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Where did you get your DS

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie, who is now 16, was an import from France, I was doing Ringsport and I already had a Mal that was an import from France, the mal was already here and being trained by my trainer when I got him. Sadie I got from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

We got Brodie from Sentry K9 located in Spring, TX. I think all he has are DS. As a matter of fact he just had a litter. He has a FB page that he shares pics of the dogs before and after they find homes.
Kalia and Brodie
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I got Karma from Alphak9kennels in South Carolina. The owner was a nice older man but I think he prides himself on having very hard working lines. Not the best for everyone but fit perfectly for what my family needed. Best dog I've ever had bar none. I believe the breeder is downsizing now due to some health issues but still breeds some. Alot of his buyers are police and sheriff departments.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I got Radar from Miami-Dade Animal Services (County Shelter).

I understand the desire (and, sometimes need) to pay for and get a dog from a breeder, but I hope that rescue is at least a consideration.

Based on a lot of posts I see on Facebook, there seems to be a lot of Dutch Shepherds in the shelters.

Also, hopefully you took a moment to read the post on How To Select/Research a Breeder. I posted it, but it was compiled by a very knowledgeable member of the forum.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Yoda came from land of oz.... callie came from my breeding...
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 pm I got Radar from Miami-Dade Animal Services (County Shelter).

I understand the desire (and, sometimes need) to pay for and get a dog from a breeder, but I hope that rescue is at least a consideration.

Based on a lot of posts I see on Facebook, there seems to be a lot of Dutch Shepherds in the shelters.

Also, hopefully you took a moment to read the post on How To Select/Research a Breeder. I posted it, but it was compiled by a very knowledgeable member of the forum.
I’m so glad you posted that link because after reading what you wrote I was worried. When we got Brodie we got a ‘Purchase Agreement’ we had to sign and medical records from the vet showing everything that was mentioned in your link. Thank you for posting that.
Kalia and Brodie
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am new to the dutch shepherd world. I grew up with Golden Retrievers, English Spring Spaniels, and pitbulls. I camp and hike a lot so I am looking for the perfect companion to go on adventures. I am extremely into obedience training. I love the feeling of being able to walk my dog off leash and he/she will follow all of my commands.

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am Thalie, who is now 16, was an import from France, I was doing Ringsport and I already had a Mal that was an import from France, the mal was already here and being trained by my trainer when I got him. Sadie I got from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.
Very cool to import the family like that!
-Sly
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

Wes Thomas wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 pm I got Karma from Alphak9kennels in South Carolina. The owner was a nice older man but I think he prides himself on having very hard working lines. Not the best for everyone but fit perfectly for what my family needed. Best dog I've ever had bar none. I believe the breeder is downsizing now due to some health issues but still breeds some. Alot of his buyers are police and sheriff departments.
I will not be doing police work. Although, I live a very active life style and love training dogs. I go camping and hiking a lot so I’m looking for a great companion that I can’t take very far in obedience training.
-Sly
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm Yoda came from land of oz.... callie came from my breeding...
I have read about the 2nd or 3rd gen dogs from a breeder may be more house orrientated than work work work
-Sly
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dedicated2Dogs wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am Thalie, who is now 16, was an import from France, I was doing Ringsport and I already had a Mal that was an import from France, the mal was already here and being trained by my trainer when I got him. Sadie I got from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.
Very cool to import the family like that!
No, they are not related. They just both happen to be imports, The Mal was already with my trainer when we all met and started working with him. A year later, We imported Thalie
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dedicated2Dogs wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 pm
Wes Thomas wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 pm I got Karma from Alphak9kennels in South Carolina. The owner was a nice older man but I think he prides himself on having very hard working lines. Not the best for everyone but fit perfectly for what my family needed. Best dog I've ever had bar none. I believe the breeder is downsizing now due to some health issues but still breeds some. Alot of his buyers are police and sheriff departments.
I will not be doing police work. Although, I live a very active life style and love training dogs. I go camping and hiking a lot so I’m looking for a great companion that I can’t take very far in obedience training.
They are great for long hikes and camping, in Thalies younger days she would come mountain biking with me and we would be out all day.
ImageImage
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

Shylah came from in the middle of traffic, right here, in this not-the-greatest part of Orlando
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
Webbie2160
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have two dutchies one 2yr old female and a 12 week old Male. We are involved in several different dog sports and would love to find a PSA club in AZ

Post by Webbie2160 »

Both my male and female were imported from Holland through the help of my breeder, but a middle man does get pricey just a heads up!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dedicated2Dogs wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm Yoda came from land of oz.... callie came from my breeding...
I have read about the 2nd or 3rd gen dogs from a breeder may be more house orrientated than work work work
I've never heard of experienced that... I raise my dogs as working dogs... my puppy had more drive than her father
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

My Gypsy was a stray that was extremely malnourished and so obviously abused by how skittish and scared she was. Now a happy and loved brat!! 💕🐾
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Rogue came from a breeder in California who’s family has breed K9 Germans and Dutches for years. Her father was imported from Holland and mother is here.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG