Advise from trainer and vet

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am new to the dutch shepherd world. I grew up with Golden Retrievers, English Spring Spaniels, and pitbulls. I camp and hike a lot so I am looking for the perfect companion to go on adventures. I am extremely into obedience training. I love the feeling of being able to walk my dog off leash and he/she will follow all of my commands.

Advise from trainer and vet

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

I spoke with my vet, she is trying to push me away from the breed because she has seen to many with bad tempers. I also direct messaged a trainer on Instagram who has a DS. His name is kanine.karma.trainjng he told me “They’re the most intense dogs on earth and unless someone has years of experience training high drive working dogs, it’s never a good idea. Any dog can hike and camp, these dogs will still be going 200mph after hiking 10 miles. They’re born and bred for bitework. That’s they’re purpose. If you don’t have an amazing trainer lined up to work with you on that stuff, I really wouldn’t get one.”
-Sly
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Re: Advise from trainer and vet

Post by Kaliag »

Dedicated2Dogs wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 am I spoke with my vet, she is trying to push me away from the breed because she has seen to many with bad tempers. I also direct messaged a trainer on Instagram who has a DS. His name is kanine.karma.trainjng he told me “They’re the most intense dogs on earth and unless someone has years of experience training high drive working dogs, it’s never a good idea. Any dog can hike and camp, these dogs will still be going 200mph after hiking 10 miles. They’re born and bred for bitework. That’s they’re purpose. If you don’t have an amazing trainer lined up to work with you on that stuff, I really wouldn’t get one.”
I have BY NO MEANS any of the training some of the people on here have with Dutchies. I came from 15 years of owning Boxers and decided to get one and I will tell you this.....Brodie is an amazing dog. Do I have issues? Hell yes I do. Do I have A LOT to learn? HELL YES I DO. Is he different than any dog I’ve owned? OMG!!!!!! HELL TO THE YES HE IS!!! Would I trade him for another? HELL NO!!! I think in order to have a companion like a DS you have to be dedicated and willing to learn the breed.
I have learned so much on here from just asking questions. Everyone on here that has experience with the breed is going to help you understand them. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GROUP!!! And I love this breed.
But I will say this that I have learned, have patience with your little guy (or gal). Don’t give up.
Kalia and Brodie
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dedicated2Dogs wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 am I spoke with my vet, she is trying to push me away from the breed because she has seen to many with bad tempers. I also direct messaged a trainer on Instagram who has a DS. His name is kanine.karma.trainjng he told me “They’re the most intense dogs on earth and unless someone has years of experience training high drive working dogs, it’s never a good idea. Any dog can hike and camp, these dogs will still be going 200mph after hiking 10 miles. They’re born and bred for bitework. That’s they’re purpose. If you don’t have an amazing trainer lined up to work with you on that stuff, I really wouldn’t get one.”
I tend to agree. The nice pets you see onFB are mixes. now that does not mean they are not out there, Thalie is a quiet dog who would NEVER bite anyone, a baby could feed her food out of her hand, she has NO agression, but out of all of my years in ring, maybe one other female was quiet like her, very low prey drive, she used to go all day.

It is risky , but like she said, if you only want to hike and camp, there are plenty of other breeds out there that you would have a great time with and all breeds will protect their humans, our basset hounds bark at strangers.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

So you spoke to Dave lol he lives 10 minutes from me... he can be a little dramatic but I do agree.. get a good german shepherd... realistically a dutchie shouldn't be a house pet it is a working dog... and breeding them for pets weakens the breed from it's original purpose!
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

You've already gotten some great advice on this.

But I'll share a bit of history & two analogies which I think will help explain what the pro dog trainers (Steve and Dave apparently lol) and the other owners here are saying.

These dogs (especially the KNPV/NKBV breedings which are by far the most common) are tough, aggressive, athletic, smart, protective, loyal & have energy for days. They're originally the poor country mans dog, who had a herd of sheep/goats or what not. They lived off meager scraps, received little to no medical attention or grooming. They were a tool, they were there to make the shepherds life easier, put food on that man's table so his kids literally could survive, and protect his property/family/flock. They were expected to herd sheep all day and protect all night.

They're a no frills working animal. They were not the dog of the wealthy or the city dweller.

These dogs were a staple in northwestern Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany etc) and their unique traits were first categorically recognized and utilized as being valuable to police/military/people in need of personal protection, in Germany by Captain Max Von Stephanitz who breed the best examples he could find to make the German Shepherd Dog. As a matter of national pride the Belgians & Dutch followed suit (Malinois mainly & Dutch Shepherd respectively). (Gross overview, but I'm not writing a book here! LOL)

In the modern era, the groups most responsible for maintaining and preserving these breeds as intended are the KNPV & NKBV. Programs that produce dogs suitable for serious work police/military/personal protection and dog sports. Vast Majority of the Dutchies you will find are connected to these programs.

GSD's due to their popularity over the years are much more varied to the point the extremes of show lines vs working lines are essentially different breeds. Which is where the GSD advice came from as you can easily find one more suitable to your tastes, whatever that may be, than you can a Dutchie.

So that's the brief history on to the analogy.

1) What are the police, military, and private security? They are organizations empowered with the task of providing training to and the strategic use of people to commit violence (or the threat thereof) on our behalf in order to protect us, maintain societal order, and defend territory.

The difference between their actions and a violent criminal is intent & benefit. As such, the differences of personality and psychological makeup between a criminal & a police officer or infantry soldier is typically smaller than most people usually care to think about. Typically it's a difference of guidance, values, discipline, & mental stability.

By the way, the above statement is far from a slight I won't detail my whole life story but I'm the furthest thing possible from a cop hater or anti-military, it's simply a accurate assessment of reality as born out both colloquially (have you ever heard the term "sheepdog" in reference to a cop or military member? Because the above is what it means, i.e. they're closer to the wolf (criminal) than the sheep (regular people) but they choose to use that for good) and through numerous scientific studies.

Obviously dogs do not think to this same level, however, the point is that a good Shepherd IS capable of violence and aggression to a level capable of matching his partner in the police or military. Also like their partner they are disciplined & mentally stable, when raised properly and given healthy outlets. And that means more than going on hikes.

Which brings me to analogy number 2

Have you ever done any martial arts training: boxing, kickboxing, bjj, judo, wrestling etc? Or even a softer approximation of them like kickboxing fitness classes? Because protection sports for dogs are alot like martial arts for them. It requires & develops discipline, fitness, thinking under extreme pressure, toughness both mental & physical, & self confidence.

It's vastly more exhausting both mentally & physically than a hike & creates bonds on a much deeper level than your hiking buddy. Further, just like martial arts for humans it doesn't make them more prone to violence than they were in the first place, in fact it paradoxically does the exact opposite. It provides them the discipline, training, self confidence & mental clarity to more accurately discern threats, confidence in their ability to defend themselves in any situation, and trust in their handlers judgement to let them know if there is anything to worry about.

Just like in people, the dude with multiple blackbelts isn't running around starting fights. He or she is too disciplined and confident in their abilities to feel threatened enough to need to.

All of that was a really really long way of supporting what other people have told you, Dutchies shouldn't be your first choice if you want a hiking buddy that you've trained in obedience. They need more than that, you're basically asking if you should get a sports car as a daily commuter for city driving and acknowledging you'll need to follow the posted speed limits. That ain't why you get a sports car.

But if you are going to get one anyways, I strongly recommend the dog sports for providing it the proper outlets for it's natural temperament.
Last edited by Tennessee3 on Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

^ this ^!!!!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Tennessee3 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm You've already gotten some great advice on this.

But I'll share a bit of history & two analogies which I think will help explain what the pro dog trainers (Steve and Dave apparently lol) and the other owners here are saying.

These dogs (especially the KNPV/NKBV breedings which are by far the most common) are tough, aggressive, athletic, smart, protective, loyal & have energy for days. They're originally the poor country mans dog, who had a herd of sheep/goats or what not. They lived off meager scraps, received little to no medical attention or grooming. They were a tool, they were there to make the shepherds life easier, put food on that man's table so his kids literally could survive, and protect his property/family/flock. They were expected to herd sheep all day and protect all night.

They're a no frills working animal. They were not the dog of the wealthy or the city dweller.

These dogs were a staple in northwestern Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany etc) and their unique traits were first categorically recognized and utilized as being valuable to police/military/people in need of personal protection, in Germany by Captain Max Von Stephanitz who breed the best examples he could find to make the German Shepherd Dog. As a matter of national pride the Belgians & Dutch followed suit (Malinois mainly & Dutch Shepherd respectively). (Gross overview, but I'm not writing a book here! LOL)

In the modern era, the groups most responsible for maintaining and preserving these breeds as intended are the KNPV & NKBV. Programs that produce dogs suitable for serious work police/military/personal protection and dog sports. Vast Majority of the Dutchies you will find are connected to these programs. GSD's due to their popularity over the years are much more varied to the point the extremes of show lines vs working lines are basically different breeds. Which is where the GSD advice came from as you can easily find one more suitable to your tastes, whatever that may be, than you can a Dutchie.

So that's the brief history on to the analogy.

1) What are the police, military, and private security? They are organization empowered with the task of providing training to and the strategic use of people to commit violence (or the threat thereof) on our behalf in order to protect us, maintain societal order, and defend territory.

The difference between their actions and a violent criminal is intent & benefit. As such, the differences of personality and psychological makeup between a criminal & a police officer or infantry soldier is typically smaller than most people usually care to think about. Typically it's a difference of guidance, values, discipline, & mental stability. By the way, the above statement is far from a slight I won't detail my whole life story but I'm the furthest thing possible from a cop hater or anti-military, it's simply a realistic assessment of reality as born out both colloquially (have you ever heard the term "sheepdog" in reference to a cop or military member? Because the above is what it means, i.e. they're closer to the wolf (criminal) than the sheep (regular people) but they choose to use that for good) and through numerous scientific studies.

Dogs do not think to this same level, however, the point is that a good Shepherd IS capable of violence and aggression to a level capable of matching his partner in the police or military. Also like their partner they are disciplined & mentally stable, when raised properly and given healthy outlets. And that means more than going on hikes.

Which brings me to analogy number 2

Have you ever done any martial arts training: boxing, kickboxing, bjj, judo, wrestling etc? Or even a softer approximation of them like kickboxing fitness classes? Because protection sports for dogs are alot like martial arts for them. It requires & develops discipline, fitness, thinking under extreme pressure, toughness both mental & physical, & self confidence.

It's vastly more exhausting both mentally & physically than a hike & creates bonds on a much deeper level than your hiking buddy. Further, just like martial arts for humans it doesn't make them more prone to violence than they were in the first place, in fact it paradoxically does the exact opposite. It provides them the discipline, training, self confidence & mental clarity to accurately discern threats, confidence in their ability to defend themselves in any situation, and trust in their handlers judgement to let them know if there is anything to worry about.

Just like in people, the dude with multiple blackbelts isn't running around starting fights. He or she is too disciplined and confident in their abilities to feel threatened enough to need to.

All of that was a really really long way of saying of supporting what other people have told you, Dutchies shouldn't be your first choice if you want a hiking buddy that you've trained in obedience. They need more than that, you're basically asking if you should get a sports car as a daily commuter for city driving and acknowledging you'll need to follow the posted speed limits. That ain't why you get a sports car.

But if you are going to get one anyways, I strongly recommend the dog sports for providing it the proper outlets for it's natural temperament.
This!!!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

^^ This should be a sticky post. This is a great write up about the DS.
ImageImage
Amyaskinbeck
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live in California and currently have two dogs. Mallory is 9 and a rescue she is german shepherd/rottie. We also have a 10 month old german/Dutch that we got at the age of 4 weeks. He was abandoned and very sick. After 15 weeks of antibiotics and 2000 in vet bills he is our baby. He has passed the CGC certification and the Advanced CGC. He is currently doing protection training right next to our city’s finest canines. We never heard of the Dutch breed until our little Tucker came into our lives and we are so happy he has.

Post by Amyaskinbeck »

I want to thank you for you analogies. We have a Dutch Shepherd/ German Shepherd mix. We rescued Tucker at 4 weeks old. He had an extremely difficult life in 4 weeks with some behavioral problems and physical. After 2000 in vet bills to get him physically healthy we noticed that he is smart but needed a confidence builder. We do hike 2 times a week but know he needs more. He has been in protection training for 3 months and loves it. It builds his confidence. When hiking he wants to jump over or on things all the time, so this week I’m going to look for agility classes. What I’m getting at is you have to be in tune to what your dog needs. Tucker is an amazing dog but it has been work, where our other dog a German Shepherd Rottie mix could Care less about all of this stuff. She just wants to be with us and hike. Thank you because I have a way of explaining why he is in protection training to people who think we are doing it just to make him mean. That’s not it at all. We have owned dogs our entire lives and have never spent this much energy on a dog.however this seems to be what he needs to have the confidence and for him to be happy.
Attachments
CA81A925-1BE0-413E-A0E3-02E33F961B13.jpeg
CA81A925-1BE0-413E-A0E3-02E33F961B13.jpeg (127.42 KiB) Viewed 44627 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He is so beautiful !!! I had a pitt rottie mix, she was the best, sooooooo easy. She was with me on my farm and would just sun bath all day, then sneak off over the the Agriculture High School down the road and go sit in the class room with the kids. The school would call me at the end of the day to go pick her up
ImageImage
Dedicated2Dogs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am new to the dutch shepherd world. I grew up with Golden Retrievers, English Spring Spaniels, and pitbulls. I camp and hike a lot so I am looking for the perfect companion to go on adventures. I am extremely into obedience training. I love the feeling of being able to walk my dog off leash and he/she will follow all of my commands.

Post by Dedicated2Dogs »

Great feed back from everyone!! Thank you all so much! I love hearing all the different views on this.
-Sly
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Amyaskinbeck wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 pm I want to thank you for you analogies. We have a Dutch Shepherd/ German Shepherd mix. We rescued Tucker at 4 weeks old. He had an extremely difficult life in 4 weeks with some behavioral problems and physical. After 2000 in vet bills to get him physically healthy we noticed that he is smart but needed a confidence builder. We do hike 2 times a week but know he needs more. He has been in protection training for 3 months and loves it. It builds his confidence. When hiking he wants to jump over or on things all the time, so this week I’m going to look for agility classes. What I’m getting at is you have to be in tune to what your dog needs. Tucker is an amazing dog but it has been work, where our other dog a German Shepherd Rottie mix could Care less about all of this stuff. She just wants to be with us and hike. Thank you because I have a way of explaining why he is in protection training to people who think we are doing it just to make him mean. That’s not it at all. We have owned dogs our entire lives and have never spent this much energy on a dog.however this seems to be what he needs to have the confidence and for him to be happy.
I'm glad I could help!

Those have been on my mind alot recently for various reasons and I figured I'd share for anyone else struggling to put that into words, cause trust me it took me awhile to put that together.

By the way Tucker is absolutely stunning! :DSlove: I'm really happy things are working out for ya'll, Tucker is a lucky dude.
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Amyaskinbeck
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live in California and currently have two dogs. Mallory is 9 and a rescue she is german shepherd/rottie. We also have a 10 month old german/Dutch that we got at the age of 4 weeks. He was abandoned and very sick. After 15 weeks of antibiotics and 2000 in vet bills he is our baby. He has passed the CGC certification and the Advanced CGC. He is currently doing protection training right next to our city’s finest canines. We never heard of the Dutch breed until our little Tucker came into our lives and we are so happy he has.

Post by Amyaskinbeck »

Thank you. However i think we are the lucky ones. I was so happy to read your post.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

@Tennessee3 Your post is one of the most popular posts I've shared over on the Facebook page.

Thank you,

BTW - did you realize you actually gave us THREE analogies?
1. LEO/Military
2. Martial Arts
3. Race cars
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Good stuff above.
I’m just a nurse who wanted a dog for protection. I read up on this breed as soon as it was planted in my head. I knew from the very start that this was going to mean a life of dedication to this dog daily, with constant learning and training. There’s a pretty price tag with lessons with a trainer, but I’m in. I had to chose if I was ready to give up cruising the ocean and the random get-a-ways to costal vineyards. I’m in. We can take her camping when we start again and hopefully in the next year we will fly to NY. Meanwhile, this is no lap dog pet. I’m glad this forum is here and the store is nearby :pint:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm Good stuff above.
I’m just a nurse who wanted a dog for protection. I read up on this breed as soon as it was planted in my head. I knew from the very start that this was going to mean a life of dedication to this dog daily, with constant learning and training. There’s a pretty price tag with lessons with a trainer, but I’m in. I had to chose if I was ready to give up cruising the ocean and the random get-a-ways to costal vineyards. I’m in. We can take her camping when we start again and hopefully in the next year we will fly to NY. Meanwhile, this is no lap dog pet. I’m glad this forum is here and the store is nearby :pint:
Look forward to meeting you!!!!
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote:

Look forward to meeting you!!!!
Awwwwwwwww
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

centrop67 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:37 am @Tennessee3 Your post is one of the most popular posts I've shared over on the Facebook page.

Thank you,

BTW - did you realize you actually gave us THREE analogies?
1. LEO/Military
2. Martial Arts
3. Race cars
I'm just happy to help and I'm glad people enjoyed it!

There's a writer somewhere inside screaming to get out, so I appease him with occasional overly long forum posts :lol:

Besides, I don't even have a Dutchie. I gotta earn my keep somehow LOL
Nicholas

Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm Good stuff above.
Hey, you're braver than I was! I started on a softer GSD before I jumped in the deep end with no floaties and got this Mal. So props to you :wtg:

I look at it like this, if you're the kind of person that doesn't get a Dutchie based on what I wrote you either weren't cut out for one in the first place or you're realistic enough to realize it's not a good fit. Or you're smarter than us :lol:

If you get one anyways, hey at least you knew what you were getting yourself into! And knew to stock up on the booze :pint:
Nicholas

Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Ha ha ha. Michael wrote that these dogs should come with a warning label. I agree.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG