Don't play tug?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Don't play tug?

Post by centrop67 »

Stolen from the Non-Working Dutch Shepherd Facebook page...

(Sorry Tareena, but it's worth sharing).

Someone over on the NWDS FB page posted:
Our breeder told us not to play tug with our dog because it might encourage the dog to start biting or something along those lines.
This sounds ridiculous to me.

What say you?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Flaro1522
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just purchased a Dutch Shepherd puppy and named him Murphy. He is 6 months old. I am formerly the owner of an Australian Shepherd. I live in the Chicagoland area. I am a high school teacher and coach.

Re: Don't play tug?

Post by Flaro1522 »

I play with my dog once a day at least. It's his favorite thing to do and it makes him happy. I also let him win almost every time. He hangs on too well to the tug and I have no interest on tugging for 15 minutes straight without him outing once. It tires him out better than anything, with the exception of training...but tug takes much less time. He has never once been aggressive toward me, my sons, or my wife. In fact, I think he listens better after. Seems like it increases the bond we have. That's just my 2 cents. I'm definitely no expert.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

That breeder shouldn't be breeding dutch shitters then
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I’ve heard not to play tug because it teaches them to be aggressive.
I play tug with Rogue.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Joxgirl wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:43 pm I’ve heard not to play tug because it teaches them to be aggressive.
I play tug with Rogue.
I’ve heard the same thing but literally just tonight was reading in Mike Ritland’s book that he believes in playing tug with dogs, as long as you start and stop the play. His thoughts on it are that dogs that get to have that “release” in a channeled/controlled outlet like that are far less likely to try and act out that same drive in less appropriate ways. So, right after I finished the book I played a game of tug with my little Monster. He did far better with bite inhibition on my arms/hands (we need a longer tug!) than I anticipated and he seemed to enjoy it.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, that may have been the point the trainer tried to make but did not do so well. If your dog knows out and listens, then tug is the best, but if they are not trained and get to wound up and wont out and just keep winding up, then you will have a problem.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

What type of tug do you all use?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:44 am What type of tug do you all use?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I3PSD ... 43706&sr=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009946J ... 43819&sr=1

Pocket tug toy for convenience and quick rewards, but for extended play the two handle is a must. Unless you’re just dying to know what shoulder surgery or a broken finger feels like :evil: :lol:
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Currently we use a rope but I want to get an actual tug toy
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I’m going to buy the two handle one right now off of Amazon smile
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Just got a real nice two handle bit pillow from ALM last month. Been meaning to post pics. It's great, but not convenient to transport.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Also...using the tug has been the single most useful tool for building engagement in all of my dogs. Dogs like ours would most likely be uncontrolled psychos without basic engagement.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

spartan wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 pm
oddbird wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 am
Joxgirl wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:43 pm I’ve heard not to play tug because it teaches them to be aggressive.
I play tug with Rogue.
I’ve heard the same thing but literally just tonight was reading in Mike Ritland’s book that he believes in playing tug with dogs, as long as you start and stop the play. His thoughts on it are that dogs that get to have that “release” in a channeled/controlled outlet like that are far less likely to try and act out that same drive in less appropriate ways. So, right after I finished the book I played a game of tug with my little Monster. He did far better with bite inhibition on my arms/hands (we need a longer tug!) than I anticipated and he seemed to enjoy it.
Hello which M Ritland book ?
It was in Team Dog, more towards the end of the book. It’s a super easy read.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together