Need input from ppl that have 2 dogs

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Need input from ppl that have 2 dogs

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Ok so. I know DS have unending energy and all that jazz. But how long did it take for your DS to calm down and get used to a second dog?? Or are they constantly playing and running?? Please please please tell me that they will calm down and sit still for a minute or so eventually!!!!! I am in need of some reassurance. Lol. And some hard liquor. Gypsy is pretty laid back for the most part. Not all finicky and jumping at the smallest sound but when it comes to play she is NONSTOP. On the other hand Nala (non DS) is the complete opposite. I have come to notice that Gypsy has low drive for the most part but is fairly high prey drive. They both listen fairly well. To be honest it seems to me that Gypsy actually listens better now with another dog around. Although as always her recall is her biggest challenge. Where Nala recalls with no problems. Unless she's at the neighbors. Lol. Anyways I'm getting off topic. Back to the calming down with a second dog. And. . . . . . . GO!!!
:help: :pint:
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Need input from ppl that have 2 dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

nope, never. I have had two for 8 years now. Thalie, who is now 16 has slowed from age, but but when she was younger, they stopped if I stopped but many times Sadie would grab a tug and then it was game on. even now with a Basset, sadie and cookie (BH) still play, or sadie is bugging me to play.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Oh no!!! So i am going to become a true alcoholic by the time this is done. Haha
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Does Nala ever “tell” Gypsy that she wants to stop? I have two boys and my oldest is a low energy senior. When he has had enough play time, I send the puppy to “place” (elevated dog bed) or put him in a down, let the senior get some space and then at that point, if he has been in his place or down long enough then he is usually on to the next thing once he has been released. Helps if I give him a chewy after he has been released ;)
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Nala doesn't necessarily "tell" her to stop. I mean she will walk away and try to settle down. Nala is pretty much a push over. She took a bit to be submissive for Gypsy. But she (Nala) is pretty chill. She is I say they opposite of Gypsy. But even though she is very alert and up and down she doesn't always need to be, I don't even know a word for it, active?? I notice too that when they play for overly extended time, even though Gypsy doesn't stop, she (Gypsy) gets testy and that will trigger a fight. So I need to forcibly place them in a down to relax for a bit before they can play nice again.
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

GypsyTheDS wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 am Nala doesn't necessarily "tell" her to stop. I mean she will walk away and try to settle down. Nala is pretty much a push over. She took a bit to be submissive for Gypsy. But she (Nala) is pretty chill. She is I say they opposite of Gypsy. But even though she is very alert and up and down she doesn't always need to be, I don't even know a word for it, active?? I notice too that when they play for overly extended time, even though Gypsy doesn't stop, she (Gypsy) gets testy and that will trigger a fight. So I need to forcibly place them in a down to relax for a bit before they can play nice again.
If you have to forcibly put them in a down, then the down probably should have been given sooner if they are anything like my dogs. If you notice that Nala is over it or tries to walk away, that’s about when I would try the down or place command then redirect Gypsy upon release. Your mileage may vary, but it’s worked well for my boys!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I agree that if you need to step in and give them a time out, then its past the time. I never really had to because Thalie was the "mom", Sadie was a rescue and never had proper mom teachings, so Thalie became her mom, Thalie would tell Sadie to stop by putting sadies muzzle in her mouth and Sadie would submit and chill. Plus Sadie has Double Hip Dysplasia and would stop soon anyway on her own.
ImageImage
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

I rarely add my input, because from my point of view my DS is a total not-norm, she's very low drive compared to most other's descriptions
is she active? yes, is she down to do whatever you want to do? yes... but given she spends most of the day with my disabled father while I'm at work, a lot of her time is spent conked out on the couch or laying in the sun out back
they do get zoomies and chase each other in circles around the backyard (unless the weather is too hot/cold we try to leave the porch door open for them)
Shylah (DS) seems to like to rough-house more than Shota (notDS), she'll run her into a fence corner and play bite at her legs or try to knock her over, not that Shota doesn't instigate it sometimes, but I tend to call her off when she's getting kinda bully-ish, she's got about 20lbs on Shota too
I think they've calmed down a bit since I first adopted Shota, but I'm with them everyday so everything blurs together lol
best guess (they were both rescues) Shylah's around 8 and Shota's around 5
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Thanks for all y'all's input!!!! I actually have noticed like i said that Gypsy tends to mind better with Nala around but these little "tantrums" still are bound to happen. They are getting better as the days go by. I feel like Gypsy looks at me like she feels neglected since we got Nala. But she gets grouchy with Nala and I have to make her see she is doing wrong. So I always try to make sure Gypsy is still always close to me to make up for her "time outs" and hopefully she will come out of her slump. I don't feel like i am paying more attention to one than the other. But I may be wrong. At least I try not to. And I feel so bad like there is a Doggie Carnival here tomorrow I would like to go to. But to go I would have to leave Gypsy home with her absolute LOVE of other dogs. Lol AS IF!! ;) More the opposite. But anyways I don't want Gypsy to be jealous but sometimes it can't be helped. Omg. I am not the crazy cat lady!!!! I'm the crazy dog lady!!!!! Do I look too much at my dogs like kids?? Is this bad??
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

GypsyTheDS wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:19 pm I feel like Gypsy looks at me like she feels neglected since we got Nala. But she gets grouchy with Nala and I have to make her see she is doing wrong.
That is all human stuff not dog stuff. Dogs do not feel neglect or jealousy. Instead of showing what Nala did wrong, since that is also human stuff and your stuff, not dog stuff, look at what is triggering Nala to be grouchy, if she is growling at Gypsy, she is trying to communicate and no one is listening to her. Figure out what Nala is trying to say and listen to her, not reprimand her.

GypsyTheDS wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:19 pm So I always try to make sure Gypsy is still always close to me to make up for her "time outs" and hopefully she will come out of her slump.
again, human stuff , there is no "slump" in dog land, its miscommunication on the human
GypsyTheDS wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:19 pm
I don't feel like i am paying more attention to one than the other. But I may be wrong. At least I try not to. And I feel so bad like there is a Doggie Carnival here tomorrow I would like to go to. But to go I would have to leave Gypsy home with her absolute LOVE of other dogs. Lol AS IF!! ;) More the opposite. But anyways I don't want Gypsy to be jealous but sometimes it can't be helped. Omg. I am not the crazy cat lady!!!! I'm the crazy dog lady!!!!! Do I look too much at my dogs like kids?? Is this bad??
Not bad, just thinking dogs live in the human world,
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

:pint:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Boaz1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog groomer with my own shop. In July I got my first Dutch Shepherd and am very impressed with him.

Post by Boaz1 »

I don't have two dogs, just one DS, Boaz. He is three now and more settled though he is always ready to play ball, go for a walk or the dog park. When I first got him at three months he was wild. In the evenings after he really was tired out he was like a child. He would boomerang around the house a "bouncing off the walls" kind of thing. Like he couldn't calm down, would fight calming down. Put him in the crate for as few minutes, then he was ok. In the crate he learned how to calm himself. Only had to do it a couple of days.

About that "bothering" you to always do something. I can't shift in my chair withoujt Boaz alerting, even if he's sleeping. He is ALWAYS paying attention. He perks up, looks right in my eyes ready to do whatever I have planned. He follows me from room to room watching my face, cocking his head back and forth if I speak. It is like he's always saying, "let's go do something, let's go do something." Though it is true that he always likes to do things I have finally figured out that he is waiting for me to tell him, whether by word or action, what we are doing. If I sit down to mess with my kindle he's fine, he curls up beside me. He just wanted to know the plan . That is sweet. I no longer feel like I am being constantly pestered!
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Boaz1 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:10 pm I don't have two dogs, just one DS, Boaz. He is three now and more settled though he is always ready to play ball, go for a walk or the dog park. When I first got him at three months he was wild. In the evenings after he really was tired out he was like a child. He would boomerang around the house a "bouncing off the walls" kind of thing. Like he couldn't calm down, would fight calming down. Put him in the crate for as few minutes, then he was ok. In the crate he learned how to calm himself. Only had to do it a couple of days.

About that "bothering" you to always do something. I can't shift in my chair withoujt Boaz alerting, even if he's sleeping. He is ALWAYS paying attention. He perks up, looks right in my eyes ready to do whatever I have planned. He follows me from room to room watching my face, cocking his head back and forth if I speak. It is like he's always saying, "let's go do something, let's go do something." Though it is true that he always likes to do things I have finally figured out that he is waiting for me to tell him, whether by word or action, what we are doing. If I sit down to mess with my kindle he's fine, he curls up beside me. He just wanted to know the plan . That is sweet. I no longer feel like I am being constantly pestered!
I like this perspective
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This is all humans thinking that dogs are human. The Bothering, is human stuff. These are working dogs, they are meant to work and to obey you ( most of the time) so they watch you to see what you want from them, when they poke you to play or do something, that is just them ready to work. They are bred to go work all day.

When you think of them as dogs and what they are supposed to do and not as humans with human words and emotions, it will make sense.

I mean no disrespect here to humans. Most of the time
ImageImage
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Lol. Lisa, no offense taken. :) I just baby my dogs too much and need to think of them as dogs. I agree with all you have said. There has not been a fight for a few days now. I have been paying closer attention to their actions and responding or stepping in where I believe I need to before a fight breaks out. The last little "grumble" was when it was time for bed and Gypsy didn't want Nala in "her" space. But was quickly snuffed with a NO. They don't seem to be as skitzo when free. But still a ton of play. I dont see how they can do nothing but play when it's damn near 90 degrees and not even a breeze but. . . . .:) All in all things are good and they have decided to become friends. Thanks again everyone with your help!!!