Training videos

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Training videos

Post by TimL_168 »

Spartan-
To balls- check.
Oh... Wrong thread....
Seriously though, I use two tugs, two Frisbees, two balls... She just trots back to me slowly after just a few throws. I figure I should probably limit to one or two throws to keep her wanting, but it's a major energy burn in the mornings for us.
I'm also thinking about throwing the tug (lower value to her than frisbee) and presenting the frisbee when she's on the return. I'm concerned she might start dropping her retrieve in the field though, which she's pretty solid with currently.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:47 am Steve- wanna hear something I DIDN'T expect? I played through the Collared Scholar's engagement/ play thing last month... En is maybe 1 notch more engaged... But her grip has gone to complete sh!t. She hits and slid right off for a week. I went back to really fighting hard on the tug, and she's right back to digging in deep on contact and not slipping.
Is that Meghan Karnes? She had yodas brother as a puppy I always wondered if she kept him
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

That’s her Steve. How cool. I hope she has him. She lives about an hour from me.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Joxgirl wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:26 am That’s her Steve. How cool. I hope she has him. She lives about an hour from me.
I'm not sure if she does... I dont do the facebook thing but I know she had him as a pup... one of his brothers was killed in the line of duty.... his only sister was euthanized because stupid people tried to train her like she was an adult dog in protection at 11 weeks old and they didnt like her... the other brother lives on a farm in wisconsin and is awesome
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

TimL_168 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 am Spartan-
To balls- check.
Oh... Wrong thread....
Seriously though, I use two tugs, two Frisbees, two balls... She just trots back to me slowly after just a few throws. I figure I should probably limit to one or two throws to keep her wanting, but it's a major energy burn in the mornings for us.
I'm also thinking about throwing the tug (lower value to her than frisbee) and presenting the frisbee when she's on the return. I'm concerned she might start dropping her retrieve in the field though, which she's pretty solid with currently.
You can two toy a dog to death if the drive for the toy isn't super high then you'll never have the speed... I use the backtie so much in my training to build drive
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Look at Tim, trying to dirty up a thread. Look what you attract Steve.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:45 pm I agree with this... the only thing I do different is I backtie the dog and build drive for months before I even do anything with the dog and ball
Steve, when you backtie, do you allow the dog to get the tug every so often?
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

oddbird wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 5:45 pm I agree with this... the only thing I do different is I backtie the dog and build drive for months before I even do anything with the dog and ball
When the dog is showing its drive at the highest state then its rewarded and taken off the back tie and I use that drive in obedience
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 pm
oddbird wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 pm
When the dog is showing its drive at the highest state then its rewarded and taken off the back tie and I use that drive in obedience

Thank you! I’m going to start working on drive with my little one as soon as the tug with handles I ordered gets here.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

@Steve Gossmeyer

Below is two short videos I shot last night, shows the flip turn & Grendel's footwork on focused heeling especially turns.

Little dude can literally spin in place with me both directions, I was very impressed with how quickly he's figured it out despite still being an uncoordinated puppy.

Any thoughts, critics, etc?

Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/