Training videos

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Re: Training videos

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 am I’d love to see a video on improving about turns.

Thanks Steve!
Which about turn? The german about turn or the flip turn?
I had to look up the flip turn, but to answer your question.... yes :lol:

ETA: being serious Millie is slow in the German about turn and isn’t staying tight even on leash. If I catch her nose with a treat I can “pull her through” okay but it still needs major work
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 am I’d love to see a video on improving about turns.

Thanks Steve!

ETA: being serious Millie is slow in the German about turn and isn’t staying tight even on leash. If I catch her nose with a treat I can “pull her through” okay but it still needs major work
Drive drive drive!!!! Everything in training relates to making drive! So when I get the chance to make the building drive video you will see what I mean! You can have speed without drive
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve.... that is so great that you are making videos!! Your are an asset to this forum
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:06 am
Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 am

Drive drive drive!!!! Everything in training relates to making drive! So when I get the chance to make the building drive video you will see what I mean! You can have speed without drive
See Steve, this is why you get paid to do this stuff. I ask for help on something and you tell me what I really needed to work on in the first place. :lol:

^Don't take the laughing emoji the wrong way, I'm being serious. After you said that I was thinking about it all night and it's one of my biggest problems with her right now. I'm really looking forward to the video Steve!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

I'll get it made asap I have a funeral tonight one of my club members passed away last week... and my asshole neighbor has been out cutting his grass with scissors all day lol I try not to have the dogs out making noise when hes around cause then then animal control shows up to tell
E
Me I have to keep it down
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 pm animal control shows up to tell Me I have to keep it down
That would be a fun video - what kind of noise statutes do you have where you live?

We get until 11pm.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

centrop67 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:01 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:05 pm animal control shows up to tell Me I have to keep it down
That would be a fun video - what kind of noise statutes do you have where you live?

We get until 11pm.
I think it's like 8 am to 9pm but hes an asshole... it's not the noise... hes the guy that looks over the fence cause hes nosey as hell and hates the dogs... long island is super packed and I live in a nice neighborhood with schools across the street... this jerk off thinks he owns the block and calls on everyone for anything... we are allowed 10 dogs which I keep it under that but still hes one of those guys that my grass gets over 4 inches and hes complaining about it
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 pm

We get until 11pm.
I think it's like 8 am to 9pm but hes an asshole... it's not the noise... hes the guy that looks over the fence cause hes nosey as hell and hates the dogs... long island is super packed and I live in a nice neighborhood with schools across the street... this jerk off thinks he owns the block and calls on everyone for anything... we are allowed 10 dogs which I keep it under that but still hes one of those guys that my grass gets over 4 inches and hes complaining about it
Have you tried wolf staring him every time he's outside to establish dominance? That would be my go to

If that doesn't work, pee on his shrubbery to put him on notice you have no problem claiming his territory as your own
Nicholas

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:13 pm

We get until 11pm.
Have you tried wolf staring him every time he's outside to establish dominance? That would be my go to

If that doesn't work, pee on his shrubbery to put him on notice you have no problem claiming his territory as your own
Bwhahahaha that's next
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Two words
Bite
Suit
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

TimL_168 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:24 pm Two words
Bite
Suit
I was working one of our county k9s in my yard, squad car parked in front... we were doing bitework to fix the out... and Mr Bob calls the police on us lmao
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

spartan wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm @tim , if you have two balls , dog runs and picks up one ball , then if dog comes back to slow , raise your arm in the air with the ball
If you have two dogs or if you go out with friend with a ball minded dog
Both dogs in sit / down position
Throw one ball , release dogs
One dog picks up , raise hand with ball ,, then other dog runs back to get ball
I use ball on rope , and let down run and jump up to get

@odbird ,how old is the dog ?
I think ball on rope is better , makes a whistle type of sound when released , my type of ball and rope floats quickly
Can throw at a longer distance and quickly change ball course
I would try not to play ball at home , play ball outside
Buy a new ball outside
When you throw the ball , you can walk backwards, this will make the game more fun for dog and make your own balance better
If the dog drops ball away from you , insist he pick up , I use the phrase “ pick “
With puppies I sometimes sit on the ground for them to bring ball back
After you have finished playing , let the dog carry the ball back to the house or car
When at home , I take the ball from them
I agree with this... the only thing I do different is I backtie the dog and build drive for months before I even do anything with the dog and ball
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

spartan wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm @tim , if you have two balls , dog runs and picks up one ball , then if dog comes back to slow , raise your arm in the air with the ball

I think ball on rope is better , makes a whistle type of sound when released , my type of ball and rope floats quickly
Buy a new ball outside
When you throw the ball , you can walk backwards, this will make the game more fun for dog and make your own balance better
If the dog drops ball away from you , insist he pick up , I use the phrase “ pick “
After you have finished playing , let the dog carry the ball back to the house or car
He is 6 months so his attention span might be another factor lol
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

BOTH!!!!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

oddbird wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Buy a new ball outside
His attention span is short because the game goes to long and drive isn't being used it's being deminished.... gotta put money in the bank to be able to make withdrawals same goes for drive
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Buy a new ball outside
His attention span is short because the game goes to long and drive isn't being used it's being deminished.... gotta put money in the bank to be able to make withdrawals same goes for drive

Is a game lasting less than one minute too long? :shock: :? :huh:

I’ll get maybe three good throws in and then he starts dropping them halfway back. I only throw them maybe 10 ft out at most
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

oddbird wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 am

I’ll get maybe three good throws in and then he starts dropping them halfway back. I only throw them maybe 10 ft out at most
30 seconds can be too long If drive for the ball has not been built
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:30 am
oddbird wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 am

30 seconds can be too long If drive for the ball has not been built
(That’s what she said). Ok. This is bad of me. Wrong thread. Had a cocktail too many..... as you were.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve- wanna hear something I DIDN'T expect? I played through the Collared Scholar's engagement/ play thing last month... En is maybe 1 notch more engaged... But her grip has gone to complete sh!t. She hits and slid right off for a week. I went back to really fighting hard on the tug, and she's right back to digging in deep on contact and not slipping.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Joxgirl wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:45 am [
(That’s what she said). Ok. This is bad of me. Wrong thread. Had a cocktail too many..... as you were.
Y'all need Jesus. Just sayin'...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor