Advice on separation of puppy / dog(s) for proper bonding

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Advice on separation of puppy / dog(s) for proper bonding

Post by Tennessee3 »

Ya'll are my go to source of advice on things so I was hoping to get ya'lls take on this. (After my trainer of course!)

What's ya'lls opinion on the proper amount of separation to make sure dogs bond primarily to you vs. your other dog(s)?

I've heard the keep them separated and train/play individually or they'll end up too "doggy" many times but as with most things, it can be a pain to parse what's advice for your "average pet owner" vs recommendations for working dog owners or more specifically WD owners who do a sport.

For anyone who's unaware, I've got a year old WLGSD I'm training in IPO (Millie) & a 12 week old Mal pup (Grendel) that'll be doing the same.

Would you say I'm doing the proper amount, too much, not enough? based on the below information.

Right now, after the first week I took of to be at home 24/7, they're both crated during the day. Roughly 6 hours as my wife and I's schedules are offset by a couple hours. When I get home, I let them out to potty then pack up and take them to the park. Millie goes first while Grendel stays crated and watches, not that he's paying much attention with the gigantic temper tantrum he's throwing the whole time :DSangel:, then Millie gets crated while Grendel trains.
No @SteveGossmeyer, I'm not going all instagram training hero on him. We work on simple manners (sitz, plotz), focus training (saying his name and he gets treats when he looks at my face), leash acceptance, and then we play till he gets tuckered out. Once he gets those down, it will be mainly short tracks and very short focused heeling sessions followed by lots of play time.

After that it's back to the house and the dogs get crated for a bit so Grendel can take a nap and Millie can focus on the work we just did. Then it's dinner time & they get to play together in the back yard, we also let them hang out together on the bed in the evening when the wife is winding down. Then it's back out for another potty break, then Grendel goes in his crate for the night. Millie sleeps in the bed with us.

After he bit my hand for taking a trachea from him the 1st day (ironically I was taking it so he wouldn't lose it on the way to his crate, short sighted little shit :lol:), I hand fed him for a couple days every meal, and I'll still do that some for his dinner. Not sure if that makes any difference for this, but it did fix his resource guarding. Little tidbit I picked up here, btw so cheers to you guys!
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Advice on separation of puppy / dog(s) for proper bonding

Post by Dutchringgirl »

to be honest, I have no idea. even when Thalie and my Mal were in heavy training, they were with me 24/7. I trained them an hour a day, they weren't crated. Thalie never leaves my side. The guys I trained with ran the whole gammut, some were like me, dogs were with us 24/7, some of the high testosterone guys had the dogs not with them unless they were training. For me, if I am going to have an animal, they are with me all of the time. There is no " to doggy" for me. they are dogs, they are supposed to be doggy.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:48 pm to be honest, I have no idea. even when Thalie and my Mal were in heavy training, they were with me 24/7. I trained them an hour a day, they weren't crated. Thalie never leaves my side. The guys I trained with ran the whole gammut, some were like me, dogs were with us 24/7, some of the high testosterone guys had the dogs not with them unless they were training. For me, if I am going to have an animal, they are with me all of the time. There is no " to doggy" for me. they are dogs, they are supposed to be doggy.
I’ll mark that down as a vote for “stop worrying so much”. :lol:
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

My IPO d0gs get 0 time with other dogs! And no balls unless training... no human can give a dog what another dog can give a dog. My dogs get nothing for free from me! If you want to get the best out of your dog the really should spend all free time training or engaging with you and not woth other dogs
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

You know how I fix resource guarding with food? I dont f**k with them when they eat... my dogs eat in their crates and I leave them alone
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:57 am You know how I fix resource guarding with food? I dont f**k with them when they eat... my dogs eat in their crates and I leave them alone
Well..... nobody ever said you don’t keep it real :D

I don’t usually mess with them while they eat, he found it somewhere in the house or yard.

As to your stance of no dog-dog interaction, that’s what I was seeing that caused me to bring it up. They go nuts for each other, and I feel like the bonding process is definitely going much slower with him than it did with Millie. Not to humanize him too much but I get the vibe that I’m the wet blanket, always breaking up the doggy fun time.

I was hoping the minimization I was doing would be enough. Apparently not. I’ll focus on keeping them separate as much as possible, completely separate just isn’t feasible.

As always, thanks for the free advice!
Nicholas

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie boned with Thalie way too much, but Sadie was a rescue and was taken away from her mom and didnt have the good mom interaction. Sadie cant do crap on her own. Thalie was always fine and never cared about being with other dogs even though she was always with my mal. I dont work them anymore, but even when I did, they were together. I never had a food problem, even with Sadie. I just put the food down and just always left them alone anyay, no one is allowed to bother the others while eating though.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage