Therapy dog

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
bszksmith
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have 2 dogs. Shaka, a rescue Akita mix (maybe mixed with Dutch) and Zombie a Dutch Shepherd. Shaka is 6 and Zombie 5. Zombie does agility, obedience, flyball and is registered with Delta Society. He currently is doing physical therapy with patients at a local hospital. Zombie currently is learning scent work. I also have 3 cats to keep the house lively.

Therapy dog

Post by bszksmith »

Zombie (and his Akita-Dutchie look a like brother Shaka) have been asked to participate in a pilot program at the VA Hospital in Madison. The VA has been very reluctant to use therapy dogs in their hospitals despite dogs being used at all other Madison hospitals. They finally agreed to a 3 month trial program. Zombie and Shaka will visit their Psychiatric ward. Lots of PTSD and suicide type issues. The boys are one of 4 teams to give it a try. A number of people have thought dogs like Zombie would be great there because he is like the dogs that they would have been around in Afghanistan et al. Wish us luck.
Karen Smith,
Zombie (the Dutchie) and
Shaka an Akita mix
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Therapy dog

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Good luck !!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I think its awesome. There is a Veterans Program down here that specifically places dogs with soldiers in need. I can't think of a more worthy cause.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Can't wait to hear how it goes...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ditto!
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

What a great thing to do! Hope they keep the program.
Did anyone else hear about theTD program that barred raw fed dogs from participation?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:What a great thing to do! Hope they keep the program.
Did anyone else hear about theTD program that barred raw fed dogs from participation?

Why would they do that? What does Raw feeding have to do with what a dog can do?
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Try the link. I just don't believe it.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -pets.aspx
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:Try the link. I just don't believe it.
Just dosnt make sense, :dsangry:
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

alspyce wrote:Try the link. I just don't believe it.
pfffff... What's that about :dsdoubt:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

I believe it was Delta that banned raw fed dogs. The concept is that they will pass Salmonella through stool and it may end up on their coats. My opinion, if it hasn't been proven, then it doesn't exist. But that is my understanding. TDI (who we use) does not make any requirements regarding feeding protocols.
Christie Meyer

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Christie M wrote:I believe it was Delta that banned raw fed dogs. The concept is that they will pass Salmonella through stool and it may end up on their coats. My opinion, if it hasn't been proven, then it doesn't exist. But that is my understanding. TDI (who we use) does not make any requirements regarding feeding protocols.
In that case, I should have had salmonella twice a month :dsdoubt: Nonsens... Dogs cannot have salmonella because the acid in their stomics is too strong, so how could the bacteria ever come out alive in their stool?? :huh:
bszksmith
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have 2 dogs. Shaka, a rescue Akita mix (maybe mixed with Dutch) and Zombie a Dutch Shepherd. Shaka is 6 and Zombie 5. Zombie does agility, obedience, flyball and is registered with Delta Society. He currently is doing physical therapy with patients at a local hospital. Zombie currently is learning scent work. I also have 3 cats to keep the house lively.

Post by bszksmith »

Yes, Delta no longer allows raw fed dogs to work as a Delta register pet partner. Happened about a year ago. Certainly lots of thoughts as to why that happened but at the end of the day all that matters is they said no to raw fed. I have not read the research papers in the area but it is possible for intact microorganisms to travel from the stomach to the intestinal tract. Think Activa yogurt. It is possible with probiotics but pathogens and their survival through the stomach and intestinal tract is another matter. Then there is the whole issue of what dogs and people get on the bottoms of their feet/shoes and bring with them into a facility. Complicated issue and unfortunately the decision results in the exclusion of some very fine dogs.
Karen Smith,
Zombie (the Dutchie) and
Shaka an Akita mix
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

So nurses are not allowed to eat grilled chicken that could have a tiny bit of rawness in them? :roll: Pfff, seems a bit...strange to decide raw fed is dangerous... Next policedogs will be forced to eat raw so they can transfer bacteria to the bad guys :dsshock: :dssmile:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Karen, please do keep us posted and even send me PMs on the progress of this program if you will. I too am very interested especially since our local VA Hospital is constructing a brand new psych facility designed for veterans with PTSD. I would like to get particulars from someone that has first hand experience. A Battle Buddies program (part of the Wounded Warrior program) was started at the local Army base but the director was transferred to DC along with several others who moved so it just fizzled out. It is the program where they place shelter dogs with veterans. They had me lined up to do some basic ob on the dogs to be placed but, oh well.....anything that will aid a veteran in my book is worthwhile.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Christie M »

I remember reading a few studies where they looked at the bacteria content in feces from raw vs. kibble fed dogs over time. The raw fed dogs did pass a considerably higher amount of pathogenic bacteria - hence the concern of raw feeding in homes with young children and/or immunosuppressed individuals.

I feed raw and I'm not saying it was a good decision. But the opposition does have some valid data to back their arguments.
Christie Meyer

Lavish
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: (Animal) Crazy people of the north ;)

Post by Lavish »

The therapy dog program in my area also will not tolerate participation with anyone who feeds raw :(

Best of luck with your fur kids helping to make a difference to those who need a little extra help. :dssmile:
Jessica and Jetson
bszksmith
Just Whelped

Post by bszksmith »

Denise - I will be glad to keep up updated. My first turn is in July. I know a lot of people had to work very hard to get us a trial period for it. The process stalled for quite a while. It is a strange bit of coincidence that a gal on my softball team lost her brother because of PTSD after he came back from Afghanistan. I have no doubt the dogs will help. Now we just need to prove it to keep the program going.
Karen Smith,
Zombie (the Dutchie) and
Shaka an Akita mix
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

:cheer: Good luck :cheer:
Sue (and Sugar)