Can we talk puppy schedules?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Can we talk puppy schedules?

Post by DSworkingdad »

So, I wanted to get some input from some of the more seasoned pros on here. I have a new (working- Protection and Detection) DS puppy and I’m trying to optimize her schedule the best I can around work/life balance. I'm reading and researching the most I can to give this pup the best quality life, education, bonding and stimulation as I can. The times on my schedule are flexible as we all know life happens and everything doesn’t always go according to plan. I put the (to and from) time in to give myself a reference of time and how much needs to be occupied to get through the day. My wife is a stay at home, last time preggers wife, currently, which allows more time with puppy.

My current schedule is as follows:

0615-0620: Take puppy out before work
0620-0645: Pup goes back in the crate while I get ready for work
0645-0700: Morning feeding (1/4 can of Taste of the Wild wet food and 1 cup of TOTW dry puppy kibble
0700-0710: Take pup back out for potty (high praising for going in the designated spot, lower praise for going outside, but not in designated space)
0710-0745: Goes in crate while wife and girls get ready to go to school
0745-0820: Take pup back out to go potty before taking kids to school
0820-0915: Wife takes the kids to school, pup goes in crate
0915-0940: Wife gets back, eats breakfast does morning chores (pup stays in crate)
0940-1000: Wife takes pup out for walk
1000-1030: Puppy playtime, work on some of the basics
1030-1045: Puppy goes back out for potty
1045-1115: Puppy bonding, lays next to one of us while we work or read something
1115-1130: Puppy goes back out for potty
1130-1215: Puppy goes back in crate, wife goes to pick up 1st kid
1215-1300: Get back eat lunch with Arianna
1300-1315: Afternoon feeding (1/4 can of Taste of the Wild wet food and 1 cup of TOTW dry puppy kibble
1315-1330: Goes out for potty
1330-1400: Puppy Playtime, work on some of the basics
1400-1500: Nap time in kennel
1500-1515: I get home from work
1515-1530: Take pup out for potty
1530-1645: Puppy goes back in crate while I go to the gym
1645-1700: Puppy goes back out for potty break
1700-1715: Evening feeding (1/4 can of Taste of the Wild wet food and 1 cup of TOTW dry puppy kibble
1715-1730: Puppy goes back out for potty break
1730-1845: Puppy goes back into crate, Family goes to dinner
1845-1920: Puppy goes back out for a potty break and walk (20 minutes)
1920-1935: Puppy comes back in after walk, drinks water, relaxes with us
1935-1945: Last potty break before sleep
1945-0615: Puppy goes in crate to sleep for the night and is taken out as necessary until 0615

Questions:
1. Leash on or off? Right now, I take pup out without a leash since I have a fenced backyard… Does anyone leash up once out and at what time do you put it on and why?
2. Am I over stimulating her with my wife being home with her and does she need to have more nap times?
3. Ideas for puppy playtime? I have heard and read about NOT working on obedience and starting in the right order of training.
4. Is there anything you would change on my schedule to accommodate other activities or re-order it, what would you change and why?
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Can we talk puppy schedules?

Post by borellar15 »

Well that is a very well thought out schedule. Idk if any of us planned quite like that haha. Couple of things I would suggest but are totally up to you it’s a matter of preference really.

1st, looks like you already have planned it this way for the most part but I would take her out to the bathroom every single time she comes out of the crate. Period. If you don’t want accidents in the house that’s just good practice.
2nd as for the leash and the backyard I wouldn’t worry about it but the sooner you get them used to a leash the better.
3rd as for the obedience. I would start imprinting with her ASAP. This doesn’t mean corrections this means having her target your hand with a treat in it and luring her into basic positions (sit, down, stand) etc. you can even start trying to do a stay once you get her to learn down just by backing away, click, reward and then just keep backing away further and longer. The only thing I would say is do not correct her right off the bat. You don’t want your working puppy being corrected that young. The first 6 months should be positive bonding between you and the dog not no! Stop! This and that all the time. She’s going to bite your hand non stop and your pant legs. Do your best to not get pissed off or correct her just keep something handy to redirect her bite to. Technically a correction can even be pulling back on a treat you have already presented.

If you have time, I can’t stress enough how much I would suggest watching training videos and working with a trainer. Davekroyer.com has lots of good videos for just 7.99 a month. I wish I would have started watching those a loooong time before I did. Super helpful for a working puppy.

Lastly.... totally up to you but I just feed twice a day. Helps create appetite and daily feeding schedule. If they’re not hungry put the food back up. They won’t starve I promise you. Also I don’t give water that late just to avoid accidents but that’s completely up to you. Judgement call. I cut water off at dinner feeding that’s the last one unless a walk is involved after.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

You want to be careful about creating to rigid of a schedule. Most times winging it is best. Make sure the pup has had ample time for potty before he's crated for a length of time. When he seems overwhelmed or just plain getting on your nerves - then a bit of crate time. I wouldn't feed on a regular schedule - I feed 2x a day (a puppy gets a 3rd feeding) but its never at the exact same time. Use some of the feed for training, especially if your feeding kibble. You can start OB immediately, just keep it fun in short sessions. Mostly just working for engagement. Don't correct - and don't ask too much.
If your fenced in I wouldn't bother with a leash - too many things to hold - you will need to have a toy with you at all times to redirect the crazy pup biting. But - make sure he's accustomed to a leash as he will need it sometimes.
Patty and Ice
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

DSworkingdad wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm 3. Ideas for puppy playtime? I have heard and read about NOT working on obedience and starting in the right order of training.
I’m not sure where you heard that but I would start on imprinting obedience positions ASAP. Again not correcting just targeting and luring into positions with treats in your hands. Engagement. Look up videos on working on engagement with your working pup.
You can even start basic protection work stuff such as creating drive and targeting certain things for biting with a flirt pole or something.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, well............not reading the whole thing right now, SHort on time, what i will say at the moment, is I keep the leash on at all times until she knows the system.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Right order? play play play. You can do OB, always do OB, I dont have a schedule per se just make sure you take her out to potty enough and often enough.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

nap times can be even if she seems to be way crazy, she can go nap in her crate
ImageImage
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

borellar15 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:55 pm Well that is a very well thought out schedule. Idk if any of us planned quite like that haha. Couple of things I would suggest but are totally up to you it’s a matter of preference really.

1st, looks like you already have planned it this way for the most part but I would take her out to the bathroom every single time she comes out of the crate. Period. If you don’t want accidents in the house that’s just good practice.
2nd as for the leash and the backyard I wouldn’t worry about it but the sooner you get them used to a leash the better.
3rd as for the obedience. I would start imprinting with her ASAP. This doesn’t mean corrections this means having her target your hand with a treat in it and luring her into basic positions (sit, down, stand) etc. you can even start trying to do a stay once you get her to learn down just by backing away, click, reward and then just keep backing away further and longer. The only thing I would say is do not correct her right off the bat. You don’t want your working puppy being corrected that young. The first 6 months should be positive bonding between you and the dog not no! Stop! This and that all the time. She’s going to bite your hand non stop and your pant legs. Do your best to not get pissed off or correct her just keep something handy to redirect her bite to. Technically a correction can even be pulling back on a treat you have already presented.

If you have time, I can’t stress enough how much I would suggest watching training videos and working with a trainer. Davekroyer.com has lots of good videos for just 7.99 a month. I wish I would have started watching those a loooong time before I did. Super helpful for a working puppy.

Lastly.... totally up to you but I just feed twice a day. Helps create appetite and daily feeding schedule. If they’re not hungry put the food back up. They won’t starve I promise you. Also I don’t give water that late just to avoid accidents but that’s completely up to you. Judgement call. I cut water off at dinner feeding that’s the last one unless a walk is involved after.
Boreller15,

I really appreciate your time and effort putting together that reponse. I will definitely look into the DaveKroyer website as I have looked everywhere for working puppy videos. Again, thanks for your response.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

My yard is fenced but I took my puppy out in a leash to go potty. I use the “take a break” command. This way she was directed gently to the area I wanted her to relieve herself. Lots of praise. Having her in the leash also made it easy to bring her back inside vs her desire to want to stay out and play. (It’s not fun chasing a puppy early in the morning or late at night when all you want to do is get back inside.)
I agree with having them take a potty break when first coming out of the crate and just before returning her to the crate.
I think a schedule is great. How ridge it you make it will help her know what’s next. However, like some people, if the schedule goes a bit out of whack it could cause issues. I have a schedule but it’s loose. It works best for us. Do what works best for all of you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG