General Feeding recommendation for puppy?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

General Feeding recommendation for puppy?

Post by Echo »

Hey guys,

So I just picked up my pup yesterday and hes doing awesome, picking up on basic house training quick! I just had a question about how much food this breed eats at 8 weeks.
I know it totally depends on the dog and his activity level but for a general idea how much did you feed at this age.
I currently feeding him, Orijen Six Fish, with a little cottage cheese. The package recommends 2 2/3 cups for expected 66lb weight, and 3 1/4 for expected 88lbs, he will fall somewhere in between this. But i felt like that was too much, am i wrong?
For someone with past experience would you say this is a good starting point. I would watch his weight and adjust in the future but I'm looking for a starting point, Im feeding about 1 1/2 cups right now..
Feel free to just shout what you did with your pup at 8 weeks would love to hear and chat!

Thanks!! :wtg:
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Re: General Feeding recommendation for puppy?

Post by Jay knowles »

Hi , from the moment I got my pup home I pretty much changed to a raw diet since she was 8 weeks old and not had any problems. She is a very fit healthy 5 month old dog now. Jay
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I am thinking that the I am thinking that the amount of 2 1/2 cups is something that you should split over three times a day but I could be completely wrong.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Echo
Puppy

Post by Echo »

Jay knowles wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:23 pm Hi , from the moment I got my pup home I pretty much changed to a raw diet since she was 8 weeks old and not had any problems. She is a very fit healthy 5 month old dog now. Jay
Thats awesome, definitely optimal, what exactly are you feeding? Ive been thinking about doing the BARF diet, just have to figure out how much its going to cost me monthly. Gotta go to my local butcher soon. Thanks for the welcome, on the new member page too btw.
-Mat
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Echo
Puppy

Post by Echo »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 am I am thinking that the I am thinking that the amount of 2 1/2 cups is something that you should split over three times a day but I could be completely wrong.
Yeah it is.. honestly Its been awhile since I owned a pup lol After talking to my friend it seems about right forgot how much these little guys can eat. I was thinking of switching to some wet food while i figure out if Im gonna do RAW or not though.
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

Hi, feeding a food called Nutriment which is a complete raw meal with all the veg fish oils etc all mixed in already. We then supplement this with whole fish,chicken wings and necks, chicken hearts and turkey necks. Wife also cooks up extra veg and potatoes on a Sunday which are mixed in on a monday and a Tuesday. Pepsi the dog has this 4 times a day soon to be reduced to 3. Haven’t weighed her for a couple of weeks and she’s 5 months on the 1st of nov, she will be close to 50lb and between 21”/22” to the shoulder and she’s not fat. I would say she’s eating a good 2lb of food a day and it’s costing about £20.00 a week. Hope this helps Jay
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

Image A quick pic of mine not even five months and a good pup. Very healthy in my opinion on her diet.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Cute puppy
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Are you sure it’s a Dutch?? I’ve never seen one asleep :lol:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Echo
Puppy

Post by Echo »

Jay knowles wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm Hi, feeding a food called Nutriment which is a complete raw meal with all the veg fish oils etc all mixed in already. We then supplement this with whole fish,chicken wings and necks, chicken hearts and turkey necks. Wife also cooks up extra veg and potatoes on a Sunday which are mixed in on a monday and a Tuesday. Pepsi the dog has this 4 times a day soon to be reduced to 3. Haven’t weighed her for a couple of weeks and she’s 5 months on the 1st of nov, she will be close to 50lb and between 21”/22” to the shoulder and she’s not fat. I would say she’s eating a good 2lb of food a day and it’s costing about £20.00 a week. Hope this helps Jay
Thanks thats the exact type of insight i was looking for, Ill definitely take some of that into consideration when I make the switch. Yes, your pup looks like she's in amazing shape, and her coat looks super healthy... Thanks for sharing Jay.
-Mat
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Echo
Puppy

Post by Echo »

Joxgirl wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 am Are you sure it’s a Dutch?? I’ve never seen one asleep :lol:
Let me guess...
Jay-"Play dead so i can get a pic for the forum and Ill give you all these chicken wings"
Dutch- "Say no more"
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Echo wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:40 am
Joxgirl wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 am Are you sure it’s a Dutch?? I’ve never seen one asleep :lol:
Let me guess...
Jay-"Play dead so i can get a pic for the forum and Ill give you all these chicken wings"
Dutch- "Say no more"
:wtg: :lol:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

Trust me when it’s awake it’s a 100% something.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:57 am
Trust me when it’s awake it’s a 100% something.
:lol: “It’s awake” ....that’s funny.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

I'm at the 9-week stage now and the best advice I can give you is some told me 2 feedings per day, others said 3. I stuck to twice a day and feed about a cup per feeding. Set their feeding times, give them a reasonable amount of time to eat. Once they are done, they are done, pick up the bowl no matter how much is left and carry on. They will not starve, don't worry, if anything it will make the next meal enticing for training. For my dutchie, she eats better after exercise, so I usually do a 20-minute mixed exercise/walk with her before meal time. Also, after the final meal, she gets water to help digest it down, but after she goes out for her last potty break before going in the crate, I cut off her water. Helps with keeping midnight potty breaks to a minimum, you are welcome to do what you like.

Also when feeding, watch for more than usual itching and or swelling. I just had mine on ACANA Heritage Free-Run Poultry which is a top-rated food and an Orijen product. I noticed a lot more itching and "believe" it to be an allergy. That is why I'm getting ready to try the Zignature Trout and Salmon blend, I hear great things about the fish diets including better, shinier coats. One other I'm investigating is American Journey. Can't go wrong with any, I just like to switch up foods for a few reasons:

1.) Brings out any potential food allergies
2.) Allows you to shop around for a food that might cost less, be just as healthy, and be something your dog loves
3.) As with #2, allows you to find a food for the picky eaters
4.) Helps switch things up, I mean would you like to eat nothing but chicken for the rest of your life?
5.) May or may not have a sensitive stomach, I swapped foods at different rates and never had digestion or diarrhea issues for mine

In the past, I made my working dog "work" for some or most of their kibble. I wanted them to view me as their "meal ticket" and would use the opportunity for training/bonding (kinda like a mama feeding their young). I would start by "targeting", just getting puppy to follow my hand and rewarding for behaviors I would like to see again or things that make me happy. For instance, an unintended stay, hanging out with me, anytime they look directly at you, follow you, lie down. These are all building blocks for when you bring in the verbal commands and/or use of a clicker for precise feedback. You don't want to go yelling out commands and not feeding when they don't do what you want. Up to you whether you want to feed by bowl or hand. Note: Using their kibble also makes for a cheaper training reward, especially if it's a food they love.

Just my two cents... I'm probably missing something or don't conform with someone's thoughts, but heh, vet says she healthy, coat looks beautiful and she loves everything so far.
Echo
Puppy

Post by Echo »

DSworkingdad wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 am I'm at the 9-week stage now and the best advice I can give you is some told me 2 feedings per day, others said 3. I stuck to twice a day and feed about a cup per feeding. Set their feeding times, give them a reasonable amount of time to eat. Once they are done, they are done, pick up the bowl no matter how much is left and carry on. They will not starve, don't worry, if anything it will make the next meal enticing for training. For my dutchie, she eats better after exercise, so I usually do a 20-minute mixed exercise/walk with her before meal time. Also, after the final meal, she gets water to help digest it down, but after she goes out for her last potty break before going in the crate, I cut off her water. Helps with keeping midnight potty breaks to a minimum, you are welcome to do what you like.

Also when feeding, watch for more than usual itching and or swelling. I just had mine on ACANA Heritage Free-Run Poultry which is a top-rated food and an Orijen product. I noticed a lot more itching and "believe" it to be an allergy. That is why I'm getting ready to try the Zignature Trout and Salmon blend, I hear great things about the fish diets including better, shinier coats. One other I'm investigating is American Journey. Can't go wrong with any, I just like to switch up foods for a few reasons:

1.) Brings out any potential food allergies
2.) Allows you to shop around for a food that might cost less, be just as healthy, and be something your dog loves
3.) As with #2, allows you to find a food for the picky eaters
4.) Helps switch things up, I mean would you like to eat nothing but chicken for the rest of your life?
5.) May or may not have a sensitive stomach, I swapped foods at different rates and never had digestion or diarrhea issues for mine

In the past, I made my working dog "work" for some or most of their kibble. I wanted them to view me as their "meal ticket" and would use the opportunity for training/bonding (kinda like a mama feeding their young). I would start by "targeting", just getting puppy to follow my hand and rewarding for behaviors I would like to see again or things that make me happy. For instance, an unintended stay, hanging out with me, anytime they look directly at you, follow you, lie down. These are all building blocks for when you bring in the verbal commands and/or use of a clicker for precise feedback. You don't want to go yelling out commands and not feeding when they don't do what you want. Up to you whether you want to feed by bowl or hand. Note: Using their kibble also makes for a cheaper training reward, especially if it's a food they love.

Just my two cents... I'm probably missing something or don't conform with someone's thoughts, but heh, vet says she healthy, coat looks beautiful and she loves everything so far.
I seemed to have missed this, wonderful feedback, thank you!
Mat
Echo - 2 months