Dog collars (choice)

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Dog collars (choice)

Post by Jay knowles »

Morning , I’m interested in what collars people are using and why there choice. I chose a modern icon 1.5 “ hard type collar. I didn’t realise how hard this collar would be and if I would have been better with the softer option. Puppy doesn’t seem that bothered by it and it’s not damaging her neck in anyway and she wears it 24 hours a day. I also attach her lead to this for walking. Will try to get a pic latter many thanks Jay
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Re: Dog collars (choice)

Post by Jay knowles »

Just one more point do these hard type collars soften a little after a bit of time.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En uses the 2" Ray Allen cobra buckle collar. It's thick and rigid. It's not supposed to be super duper comfortable, but it's supposed to keep an attachment point and spread the load out. Very quick and easy to use. I've never trusted plastic buckled collars... my grandparents Malamute would routinely break heavy duty marine grade snap swivels and stuff when she hit the end of her trolley run. I bought the collar with the built in handle. It's a little difficult to get a grip on quickly; the nylon webbing has sort of flattened a little bit over time, but En also has a tiny neck. It the collar was opened up a little I think that handle would stay opened up more. I do use it every day.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I started off for the first several months with a martingale collar but after Karma began to getting older it just wasn't working well for correction and the plastic clips just didn't hold up so the train er suggested a solid leather collar. So I purchased a good 1" D ring leather collar and matching leash and have only had to replace it once in 2 years but that was only due to a freak occurrence with the other collar catching a tree root. I got a relatively good priced, Amish made leather collar. They are thick and quality. Easy to adjust. Very soft to the touch. But firm when you need to correct the dog. I rubbed coconut oil all over my leash and collar to keep it soft and flexible and easy on the hands.
Attachments
PhotoPictureResizer_180404_223608355_crop_725x667.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_180404_223608355_crop_725x667.jpg (347.61 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Last edited by Wes Thomas on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

right now the only collar I have on Sadie is a collar with a handle.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Jay knowles wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:22 am Morning , I’m interested in what collars people are using and why there choice. I chose a modern icon 1.5 “ hard type collar.
I too bought Zoey a modern icon collar 1.5” rigid and I feel like it’s just a little much. I then bought her a 1.5” air light collar from k9 tactical gear and it is awesome. Same look and feel just wayyy lighter for the dog and still 100% quality feel to it. Check em out.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

borellar15 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 am
Jay knowles wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:22 am Morning , I’m interested in what collars people are using and why there choice. I chose a modern icon 1.5 “ hard type collar.
I too bought Zoey a modern icon collar 1.5” rigid and I feel like it’s just a little much. I then bought her a 1.5” air light collar from k9 tactical gear and it is awesome. Same look and feel just wayyy lighter for the dog and still 100% quality feel to it. Check em out.
Thanks for the heads up on the K9 tactical gear collar. Trouble is in the uk it seems hard to actually see any of the collars in person. Will see how she gets on with this one ,but agree with you it seems a little over the top. The way she’s growing she will probably grow out of this one any way. Thanks Jay
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

For pups and training, it depends on the situation... I prefer the Starmark pro-collar or a 2.5mm Herm Sprenger. IF you're going to do e-collar, you can start them as a puppy, I like the educator models. HOWEVER, if you choose these routes PLEASE seek out a good trainer that can teach you exactly how they are intended to be fitted and used. There is already enough controversy as to how they look and how half the industry feels about them. They work for me, maybe not for you or your training path. Also, prepare to have to avoid or educate a good bit of the populace as to why you chose that route. I get people that stop me all the time and say they are barbaric training devices... I guess it depends on your outlook. I could say I think it's abusive to have a horse 'broke' and have them lug my 220 lbs persons around for miles. I surely wouldn't wish that on anyone, lol. People also have no problem eating animals every day either, I guess it depends on where you draw the line. I digress, as its not my intention to rant, rather than prepare you.
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

Post by Echo »

DSworkingdad wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 am For pups and training, it depends on the situation... I prefer the Starmark pro-collar or a 2.5mm Herm Sprenger. IF you're going to do e-collar, you can start them as a puppy, I like the educator models. HOWEVER, if you choose these routes PLEASE seek out a good trainer that can teach you exactly how they are intended to be fitted and used. There is already enough controversy as to how they look and how half the industry feels about them. They work for me, maybe not for you or your training path. Also, prepare to have to avoid or educate a good bit of the populace as to why you chose that route. I get people that stop me all the time and say they are barbaric training devices... I guess it depends on your outlook. I could say I think it's abusive to have a horse 'broke' and have them lug my 220 lbs persons around for miles. I surely wouldn't wish that on anyone, lol. People also have no problem eating animals every day either, I guess it depends on where you draw the line. I digress, as its not my intention to rant, rather than prepare you.
I like hearing different perspectives... I got an educator mini for my pup but I have read varying opinions on what age they should introduced at, anywhere from 2 months to 1 year. Whats your opinion?
-Mat
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
sysyphus
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Foxy

Post by sysyphus »

Use multiple collars for Foxy. Her day to day collar is a Herm Sprenger fur saver. For camping and hiking and outdoors in the bush she wears a K9 tactical, tighter fit and less likely to get hung up on brush. Often par these with a e collar for off leash in public spaces and camping. Usually only need the vibrate to get her attention. No one has ever questioned the e collar and I really couldn't care less if they did. Also have a Herm Sprenger prong, though it's not used much, only for on leash in heavy public areas. I think of collars as tools and having only one doesn't always cut it.
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

Echo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:33 am
DSworkingdad wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 am For pups and training, it depends on the situation... I prefer the Starmark pro-collar or a 2.5mm Herm Sprenger. IF you're going to do e-collar, you can start them as a puppy, I like the educator models. HOWEVER, if you choose these routes PLEASE seek out a good trainer that can teach you exactly how they are intended to be fitted and used. There is already enough controversy as to how they look and how half the industry feels about them. They work for me, maybe not for you or your training path. Also, prepare to have to avoid or educate a good bit of the populace as to why you chose that route. I get people that stop me all the time and say they are barbaric training devices... I guess it depends on your outlook. I could say I think it's abusive to have a horse 'broke' and have them lug my 220 lbs persons around for miles. I surely wouldn't wish that on anyone, lol. People also have no problem eating animals every day either, I guess it depends on where you draw the line. I digress, as its not my intention to rant, rather than prepare you.
I like hearing different perspectives... I got an educator mini for my pup but I have read varying opinions on what age they should introduced at, anywhere from 2 months to 1 year. Whats your opinion?
-Mat
If their neck can hold up a collar, they can go on an e-collar. Earlier the better, however, you can try out multiple different collars. Like I said the only ones I like and trust that were recommended by a 41-year dog trainer is the Starmark Pro and the educator mini-series. The Herm Sprenger 2.5mm is also a good choice.
jonm61
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jon, I live in Atlanta, GA. I am currently dogless, having just lost my 10 year old DS to thyroid cancer.

Post by jonm61 »

I have rolled leather collars, and Ruffwear nylon collars for swim days. That's all they need for day to day. They wear e-collars when we're out, (even though they rarely need them anymore, I still find them to be a good reminder to be on their best behavior) and I have prongs that I use when necessary.
Amyaskinbeck
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live in California and currently have two dogs. Mallory is 9 and a rescue she is german shepherd/rottie. We also have a 10 month old german/Dutch that we got at the age of 4 weeks. He was abandoned and very sick. After 15 weeks of antibiotics and 2000 in vet bills he is our baby. He has passed the CGC certification and the Advanced CGC. He is currently doing protection training right next to our city’s finest canines. We never heard of the Dutch breed until our little Tucker came into our lives and we are so happy he has.

Post by Amyaskinbeck »

We use a 1.75 tactical2 collar from k9tacticalgear. Small awesome business. They pay attention to detail and will work with you for what you need.

We buy all our dog gear from them. Leashes, collars, harness, tabs, bite work gear. Www.k9tacticalgear.com
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

Post by Echo »

DSworkingdad wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:12 pm
Echo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:33 am
-Mat
If their neck can hold up a collar, they can go on an e-collar. Earlier the better, however, you can try out multiple different collars. Like I said the only ones I like and trust that were recommended by a 41-year dog trainer is the Starmark Pro and the educator mini-series. The Herm Sprenger 2.5mm is also a good choice.
Thanks for he insight, I am familiar with the Herm fursavers, but not the Starmark. Is there much of a difference from your standard prong to the starmark? Wondering if your trainer gave any insight on that. I have used prongs in the past and feel it is an amazing tool when used correctly.
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
sysyphus
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Foxy

Post by sysyphus »

Starmark looks chintzy to me. Looks like a shoe lace for the loop, haha. Stick with a Herm.
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

For regular day-to-day I just have regular breakaway, quick release collars on my two younger dogs my older one has a leather collar. My Dutchie came with a harness and that was horrible, he pulled me all over the place and there was no control without what so ever. He also came with the prong collar but I have never used one before so I waited until I went to the trainer and she could help me fit it on him properly and teach me how to use it. I didn’t wanna have a bad experience with him or me. So before I had the prong collar after the harness, I used the regular choke chain and that was just like having nothing on him either. The prong collar has made such a huge difference in him as a dog and him paying attention to me. I felt like with the harness and the choke collar we were having a tug of war but with the prong collar a slight correction and he is very well behaved.
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

DSworkingdad wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:12 pm If their neck can hold up a collar, they can go on an e-collar.
Im not sure who told you that but that’s absolutely not true. Puppies are too young to understand what the ecollar is correcting them for. Most trainers will tell you the dog really needs to be at least 8 months to a year before using an ecollar. Hell my trainer told me he doesn’t even correct his dogs at all until 6 months of age.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

I had one custom made for Otto, everything in the stores was too skinny. This is for everyday but when he is on leash I use a prong collar.
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I like Tactipup. Prices are reasonable. There is a really good D ring on it. Customizable with a name included in the price. Heavy duty webbing and a plastic closure. I haven’t had any issues with it and have had it on Rogue since we got it. I use it on leash and as her everyday collar. It’s 1.5” wide. I just bought a second one at 1” wide for a different look option. And I paid the $5.00 extra fee for nice rubber type flag to be added. Very happy with this collar.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG