FOOD Question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

FOOD Question

Post by DSworkingdad »

So I switched Callie, currently 9 weeks, from Instinct RAW due to lack of interest, over to ACANA (Owned by Orijen) Heritage Free-Run Poultry. Now, I'm noticing a lot more itching, thinking she has a chicken allergy. If so, I'm looking at swapping over to the Zignature Trout and Salmon dry food. I'm also trying to rotate her around until I find a food that she can "free-feed" on (meaning finish in one sitting, not leaving food in the bowl). What do you guys think? Swap to a different ACANA or swing over to Zignature? Other Suggestions... I also ran across a food, American Journey, that has great reviews and seems to have no recalls, interested in feedback. Link below:

https://www.chewy.com/american-journey- ... /dp/135821

I know food/diet conversations can get crazy, however just keep in mind that I'm all about providing her with the best diet, So I'm only looking at the top rated brands. Before you mention Dog Food Advisor, I'm familiar and all of the mentioned foods are top of the list.
Last edited by DSworkingdad on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Echo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: New owner of an Dutch Shep - ECHO
I thought it was only right to join the Forum and become part of the Fam

Re: FOOD Question

Post by Echo »

With my dogs I have stuck to Orijen and Acana (basically same thing). But with my dutch pup Ive been feeding him some wet food lately though after talking with a vet, he mention he thinks they're superior over kibble. I did some research and was actually convinced. I still feed my golden dry and I like Acana, i dont have experience with the others mentioned though.
As for the free feeding, I think if i free fed my Golden or dutch pup they would explode... :lol:

There's my 2 cents, Good luck on the search!
-Mat
Mat
Echo - 2 months
Forged in a fire lit long ago, stand next to me you'll never stand alone...
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Post by DSworkingdad »

Echo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:09 am With my dogs I have stuck to Orijen and Acana (basically same thing). But with my dutch pup Ive been feeding him some wet food lately though after talking with a vet, he mention he thinks they're superior over kibble. I did some research and was actually convinced. I still feed my golden dry and I like Acana, i dont have experience with the others mentioned though.
As for the free feeding, I think if i free fed my Golden or dutch pup they would explode... :lol:

There's my 2 cents, Good luck on the search!
-Mat
So let me clarify the "free feed" as I now realize I may have not worded that correctly. What I meant was have them freely feed their allocated amounts and have them reliably eat the entire portion in one sitting without leaving the bowl with food still in eat. A longer way of saying, she doesn't finish her food portion when put down in front of her. I'm not meaning just dump the bag in one of those gravity feeders.
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

I feed mine a food called nutriment, always eaten the whole lot, it was the first and only one we tried, I’m in the uk so not sure it’s available in other countries. Jay
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have fed Acana / orajen for many years, but my basset is so very itchy. Sadie is itchy but sometimes its hard to tell if its a nervousness or not, she is very anxious. I am happy with the brand but I am thinking of switching to Earthborn to see if that stops the itching.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped

Post by DSworkingdad »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 am I have fed Acana / orijen for many years, but my basset is so very itchy. Sadie is itchy but sometimes its hard to tell if its a nervousness or not, she is very anxious. I am happy with the brand but I am thinking of switching to Earthborn to see if that stops the itching.
I've heard good things about Earthborn. I'm really curious about this American Journey dog food, it has so many good reviews, never been recalled and the ingredients overall are great. I'll provide a link in case you're interested.

Here is the link from chewy:

https://www.chewy.com/american-journey- ... /dp/135821

* I think I read a review about someone have a picky basset with itchiness and allergies when reading through and they said this was a problem solved food for them. It's also pretty cost effective.

UPDATE: Just found this, guess Chewy is the maker of the food.

http://www.bestpets.co/american-journey-dog-food-reviews

I use this place to compare foods, they give a great breakdown between brands, ingredients and price.

https://www.pawdiet.com/compare/america ... omparison/

I'm also looking at Zignature... Hmm. Guess I will keep trying until I find something she craves.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

good stuff, thanks ! I usually use dogfoodadvisor.net, but I will check that place out to do comparisons. I do get stuff from Chewy ! there is always a chewy box out front.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
jonm61
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jon, I live in Atlanta, GA. I am currently dogless, having just lost my 10 year old DS to thyroid cancer.

Post by jonm61 »

I have mine on Nature's Logic. It's one of the few foods that I have been able to cold switch them to with no stomach upset. They use exactly the same ingredients in every flavor, except the protein, which makes rotating the protein easy. I rotate them through beef, pork, sardine, duck and salmon (they get one of those for a month, then the next one) and occasionally I'll get rabbit, venison or lamb. Gunner doesn't really like chicken or turkey, so I just don't bother with them. The rabbit is a little rich, which does upset their stomachs a little, so I've cut back on it.

This has been an awesome food, that they've been on for three years now, and do well on.

https://www.natureslogic.com/