Learned something new today... Free training tip

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
DSworkingdad
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to DSs, but not to high-drive dogs, here to learn like everyone else.

Learned something new today... Free training tip

Post by DSworkingdad »

Took Callie to a local trainer that has 40+ years experience in the dog training world, has never done anything else. I was conducting some trainer interviews to see which was going to match my style training, ideals and just overall how Callie was going to respond. Now, some or many may be familiar with the command "Out", however, he demonstrated something I hadn't seen before with a puppy and it was really impressive. First off Callie was very wary of him, we were in a confined room with my wife and two daughters, the trainer lured her over to him with a treat. I have never had one of my dogs take a treat or anything from someone not in my family actively training them, but that isn't what surprised me. What surprised me is that when she came over, she showed no fear of him and began puppy biting/nipping the trainer's hand that had the treat in it. He explained how, then demonstrated, saying, "No" "Stop" "Ow" "Ouch" "Callie" would do nothing to stop her from biting him. Then he said, "HOWCH", pronounced like the word couch with, but instead of a "c" used an "h". To my amazement, she INSTANTLY backed off and left it alone. It was like he staked his claim on the treat and she respected it. He began to break down the psyche and how dogs are wired to understand the dog language and how the "HOWCH" sounds like the mother's corrective bark. My wife was extremely pleased as she has tired of using "leave it" and we don't want to ruin her by "No-ing" her to death.

He stated he came up with it after being in the competitive world and having an older, gentle, kind woman whom could bring herself to get "OUTS" off her chest with some authority. He said, just by adding the "h" he was able to make is more of a barking tone and it worked for her.

So, I'd say give it a try when the next opportunity presents itself, might surprise you.
Last edited by DSworkingdad on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Learned something new today... Free training tip

Post by Dutchringgirl »

This is one thing that many humans dont to is work with animals as if they were an animal. When i used to train horses and worked on foaling farms, we were the "moms" we treated the foals like the mom did, well as well as humans can imitate horses.

Humans treat dogs like humans. When Sadie was a pup, I would do things that the mom would do, put my hand around her muzzle when I would want her to be quiet etc.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I do say “hup” for Zoey to jump up onto something and she seems more responsive or more willing. No idea what the connection is there but I’ve been doing that since she was very little.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I’m embarrassed to say that I sniff around Rogues face (face only) with loud sniffs like dogs do. She keeps still and let’s me do it like how dogs do. Shlt, now you all know my weirdness that not even my family knows. :pint:
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 am
Humans treat dogs like humans. When Sadie was a pup, I would do things that the mom would do, put my hand around her muzzle when I would want her to be quiet etc.
I might try this
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I will give “HOWCH” a try
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

We tried. Howch no matter but shaisse like almost german is new word so dog went confused. I think that was what hapened.