What would you do?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

What would you do?

Post by borellar15 »

So.... unrelated to Dutch Shepherds, however, I wanted to get some opinions or am just kinda interested to see how others here would react in this situation.

So I’m currently out at work on a drilling rig in Oklahoma. There is a person on location, well actually there are about three people out here that have their dogs with them. I do not. As much as I would love to have Zoey here to help pass the time, I would not put her in situations where she would be anxious or nervous when I have to go outside of the trailer and do stuff and would not feel comfortable with her around all the heavy machinery and moving objects.

Anyways....one of the said personnel has a Cane Corso with him that he bought for he says $1800 with a back story as well that it was abused by children as a puppy. The dog is scared. Clearly. Not in an aggressive way or anything I don’t at all get the feeling like the dog may react aggressively but it is just frightful. It walks with its tail between its legs as it follows him around everywhere. Avoids other people so much that it goes under the desk and goes a few feet away from anyone it passes. So I’m like oh okay. The dog clearly was abused and he’s trying to make a better life for it. Good deal. Wouldn’t have paid $1800 for that situation myself but that’s neither here nor there.

Then I see a sport dog e collar on the dog too. This dog has no training I can tell and he said he just got it 3 weeks ago. So the fact that he’s got a sport dog e collar on it at level 7 out of 10 is alarming to me. I asked him about it and he said it’s just for recalling her as she sometimes gets scared and runs off out here and he doesn’t want her running into danger or anything. I tried explaining to him that this was the completely wrong approach to this and that the dog doesn’t understand the corrections he’s giving it when he uses it and that the ecollar is only going to worsen her fear if she’s not properly trained.

I guess what I’m wondering is what would you guys do in this sort of situation. I have to work with this person so you know, I don’t want to get too involved but just sitting by watching someone unknowingly worsen that dogs condition is hard being a person that cares for dogs and animals in general for that matter. I don’t think he means harm by any means but he’s just uneducated on animal behavior. I also don’t want to be that annoying person that tells you how to raise your dog or kids or whatever. How can I politely guide him in the right direction without making my work situation uncomfortable as I will have to be around this person while I’m out at work? I’m thinking of bringing some of my stuff up here with me next time and trying to let him agree to let me work with her a little bit when we’re not busy. Maybe I can show her that not all humans are to be feared and once I gain her trust I can show him that she doesn’t need an e collar she just needs to be on a leash if outside. What are your thoughts?
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: What would you do?

Post by TimL_168 »

Solid plan. Tell him you can help. Tell him you'd even like to.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 pm Solid plan. Tell him you can help. Tell him you'd even like to.
10-4
Image Image
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

I would never use e collar for dog who is afraid. Thats all.

We used couple times cause took off for rabbit hunt, and there are highways.

E collars are not for afraid dogs. Period.

I would say that he would benewith clicker, and contact training, with nosework and training distractions.

If u add e collar to this with afraid dog, u make the dog aggressive.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Susannah wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 pm I would never use e collar for dog who is afraid. Thats all.
yes, but that is us, this is a question about a guy who has no clue. I have seen people just slap them on for lack of a better solution
Susannah wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 pm We used couple times cause took off for rabbit hunt, and there are highways.

E collars are not for afraid dogs. Period.

I would say that he would benewith clicker, and contact training, with nosework and training distractions.

If u add e collar to this with afraid dog, u make the dog aggressive.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is a very tough situation. Even though the Ecollar will be doing more harm than good. It could save the dog from getting hurt or killed. I have no idea the situation on a rig. If you have the resources on there, show him some websites for e collar training, maybe order him a book. You do not want to get him on the defensive about how he handles the dog. You want to be encouraging and only show that you want to help, not make him wrong or feel bad. Who knows what he spent but like you said, that is here nor there. I can only imagine how stressful a rig could be for that dog. Maybe roll play with him, be slow and quiet with the dog, see if during any down time, you can work with the dog and him.

See how it goes and let us know.
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:48 am I have seen people just slap them on for lack of a better solution
Yes that’s exactly the situation. At least that’s what I’m gathering.
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:51 am You do not want to get him on the defensive about how he handles the dog. You want to be encouraging and only show that you want to help, not make him wrong or feel bad.

Maybe roll play with him, be slow and quiet with the dog, see if during any down time, you can work with the dog and him.

See how it goes and let us know.
Exactlyyy. I don’t want to make him feel like I’m attacking him or accusing him of treating his dog wrongfully. Especially since I work with him I don’t want to create a hostile work place.

Those are good suggestions. Getting good suggestions here guys thanks. I’m going to bring some supplies next time and see what I can do. I think I’ll start with “I just wanna try some things and see if she’ll open up to me.” He’s been open to us trying to befriend the dog and win it over with food so I don’t think he’ll have a problem with it.

Anyways I’m glad I came on here guys thanks. I had to bite my tongue and post here instead cause I really just wanted to let him know how he was negatively impacting his dog and that could have ended up wayyyy differently than it can now. You know how some of us dog people can get sometimes. Can be a little overwhelming to other people.
Image Image
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I think there's also a lot of subtle, very quick"lessons" you can work on with the dog surreptitiously and in passing. Work a conditioning position. Have a treat with you always for him. Maybe encourage him to sit when he sees you? Might help give the dog some direction and focus. I love nosework for conditioning around distractions and stress.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is good that he is open for you guys to help him, very good. When you can, see if there is a room that only you guys can go into, and sit on the floor, dont look at the dog, but have a treat or a toy he likes. and just hold it. let him come to you and take the treat/toy, dont touch him or acknowledge him. let him learn people are ok. This will take time, as you know. but it is sounding like they guy will let you help him.
you sound like you have some good approaches and you know what you are doing.
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Great suggestions guys. I’m going to try all of these things when I go back up there. I talked to him about it and he said he’s more than willing he just wants his dog to act normal. I told him I’m no expert but I’ve learned a few things and showed him a video of me working with Zoey and explained to him my past of working with dogs and he was all about it. Like I said hes not even looking for an awesome fully trained dog he just wants his dog to act normal and not be so scared. So.... progress. I’ll see what I can do! Thanks for all the help guys!
Image Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that sounds great !!!
ImageImage
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

I am with you hundred percent but I think you have to tread very lightly. Maybe have some friendly conversation so this person can get to know your knowledge on how much you know so it sounds more like you’re offering help then telling him what to do. Maybe offer some insight into places that he can look up information on an abused dog so he’s more educated without it sounding like your preaching to him. I think you’ve started with a great approach you just have to be very careful because you know how we are all so protective of our own dogs
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx