How do you clean your incontinent dogs?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Nahb
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi, I'm Gaspar from New York. I have 1 Dutch Shepherd (Carl).

How do you clean your incontinent dogs?

Post by Nahb »

I've had Carl a week and am having a problem. He's not fully continent, so wears a male wrap with a diaper inside. Works well for catching urine, but also seems to keep the area damp and smelling of urine. I clean him every day with baby wipes and have given Carl a bath once, but his skin round his prepuce and inguinal area looks irritated (he's going for a neuro consult tomorrow and I'm going to have them check for a skin and/or urinary tract infection). Carl weighs around 65lbs which is too heavy for me to bathe him daily. I was wondering what you guys use to keep your dogs clean and their skin in good condition https://petbibles.com/waterless-shampoos-for-dogs/ ?
Last edited by Nahb on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: How do you clean your incontinent dogs?

Post by centrop67 »

I am sorry you are going through this, and I hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

Maybe someone on this site has some experience to share, but you might also consider seeking advice from other groups like the ones that specialize in rescuing special-needs dogs.

Here's a page that list some of those groups -> https://barkpost.com/good/special-needs-dogs-rescues/
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I went through that when Thalie got older. Good your taking him for a check up, that is always good to make sure nothing else is going on. I had a bunch of washable diapers for her and rotated and washed them daily, used wipes. I have a walk in shower so I could bather her often.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

You can buy a stack or two of washcloths in a color that indicarothat they are for Carl. Dampen the cloth with warm water and wash his bottom. He doesn’t need soap all the time to prevent irritating his skin, only if he really needs a bath. The washcloths can be laundered and cut down on costs in the long run. Buying cloth items to catch his urine will too. It’s not as bad as it may sound in a world accustomed to disposable. Best of luck and sorry that Carl is going through this.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I want to add, Wipes have chemicals in them to keep them from molding. This can be harmful to skin. I even caution my new mothers to this fact. Water is better.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG