Any wisdom

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dtl16
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd born on November 15 2018. Names Guinness.
First time dutchie owner Any tip are much appreciate.

Any wisdom

Post by Dtl16 »

Hello,
I just brought home a beautiful 8 week old puppy. Her name is Guinness. She is full of energy and loves her toys and will bite everything waved in front of her. The first night she didn’t love being in the crate the first night so I put it on my bed and rested my hand in it. After that she does alright with just being next to my bed now.

I am currently feeding her one cup of food three times a day she usually finishes most of it but not all the time .

She is having her fair share of accidents In the house but none in her crate anymore, For the most part she’ll wait to go outside to go number two but still consistently goes number one anywhere . When taken outside and she does the deed I will give her a treat Praise her.

I’ve been slowly. Introducing some basic commands during feeding time but she so determined just to claw and bite the food out of my hand instead of listen . I am wondering is eight weeks old too young to be teaching commands ?
Any advice or tips for A season Dutch shepherd owner to a new Dutch Shepherd Owner? Also I was wondering if I should keep her on a leash with me at all times while I’m home? I’ve read A few threads saying I should but if the puppy is resisting the leash and me having to drag her what should I do ?
Attachments
BA41ED7D-DC1A-4432-9518-7A989B35B795.jpeg
BA41ED7D-DC1A-4432-9518-7A989B35B795.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2986 times
4C4DDFA8-BB7D-4D76-8F18-666C7C6208AB.jpeg
4C4DDFA8-BB7D-4D76-8F18-666C7C6208AB.jpeg (308.9 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Any wisdom

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Sounds like you need to hire an experienced dog trainer. All the issues you are having are common with any dog breed but will be way more with a ds... everything you are doing so far is great... I wouldnt keep the puppy leashed I've never been a fan of that nor would I recommend a client to do this... I would def seek training though before she becomes too much
Dtl16
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd born on November 15 2018. Names Guinness.

Post by Dtl16 »

Alright thanks for the advice.
I’m open to any advice or tip to make my dogs life as best as possible if any one has anything they would like to add.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

I advise my clients to crate the puppy if they cant pay attention to it fully... the leash thing I dont like because they chew them off, knock stuff over or get it caught and choked, and it teaches the puppy that you will grab the leash everytime its "misbehaving" and can cause relationship issues
Dtl16
Just Whelped

Post by Dtl16 »

Thank you Steve
She does good in the crate when she knows I left threw the front door but when she know I’m still in the house she cry’s. She’s good about not going number 2 in the house still working on the peeing.
She doesn’t haven’t any accedints in your crate or play pen.
It’s only her 3rd day here and she’s only 8 weeks
So I’m sure it to be expected if I’m wrong let me know?
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

That's normal! Potty training takes alot of time! Some pups are clean and pick it up quickly and some are dirty and dont care... it's just the matter of them believing you'll let them out and figuring out the new routine... sounds like you have a great start
Dtl16
Just Whelped

Post by Dtl16 »

Thank you
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

8 weeks is still young to be able to hold it for very long.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

They pee a lot. Take her out at least every 15 minutes and she will pee.
Tim
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

She is a beautiful pup
Tim
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea I would expect accidents for a while yet. It’s going to happen. Best yo can do is praise them and give them a reward when they go outside and they’ll start to understand but when they’re puppies sometime it just sneaks up on them and they let it out.

As for the commands Steve would probably know best on that but I would say not to worry about commands right off the bat. I would lure into basic positions (sit, down, stand, spin etc) and use a clicker when they do go into the desired position. You can add commands in later when they seem to understand what you’re doing with the luring. That’s imprinting. Giving commands when they don’t understand what they mean will likely make the commands hold less value.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

borellar15 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm Yea I would expect accidents for a while yet. It’s going to happen. Best yo can do is praise them and give them a reward when they go outside and they’ll start to understand but when they’re puppies sometime it just sneaks up on them and they let it out.

As for the commands Steve would probably know best on that but I would say not to worry about commands right off the bat. I would lure into basic positions (sit, down, stand, spin etc) and use a clicker when they do go into the desired position. You can add commands in later when they seem to understand what you’re doing with the luring. That’s imprinting. Giving commands when they don’t understand what they mean will likely make the commands hold less value.
Agreed
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

She is beautiful! I agree with taking them out constantly and praise praise praise when she does her business outside. Even good girl go potty, go pee whatever you want to say. Eventually when you go out and say good girl go potty, she will. She’s still a baby but will learn.
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

She’s so cute. I did the leash to me thing while in the house, but not all the time. When I did I made it a play time. I was careful to to go to fast to far robot get her to trip. I only did about 15 mins of it a day or twice. Then we would go outside to “take a break “. My command for relief. I kept Rogue tethered and she would go with in a few minutes. Back inside to be off leash for a bit in the house, then to her exercise pen or crate. Oh and every time I removed her from her pen or crate it was right on the leash and out to take a break. Now Rogue can pee or poo when I tell her to go take a break. Makes traveling easier too as she knows she better do buisness before we explore or hop back in the truck quickly. Enjoy puppyhood. It’s over so quick.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG