Shampoo and Conditioner?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Kerisho
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Adam, I'm the father of 2 children, we have one dog dutchshepherd (Dory)

Shampoo and Conditioner?

Post by Kerisho »

Please recommend a shampoo and conditioner. Our climate is very dry, semi-desert, and our winters are cold. If the dog doesn't appear to be dirty, how often should a house pet be bathed? Bushed? Professionally groomed?
Last edited by Kerisho on Thu May 02, 2019 4:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Shampoo and Conditioner?

Post by TimL_168 »

Just this side of NEVER for washing.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

If they're filthy, just hose them off.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

We use the Jax and Daisy horse shampoo, but we don't bath more than once a month or if we've been in the saltwater.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Kerisho wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:06 am Please recommend a shampoo and conditioner. Our climate is very dry, semi-desert, and our winters are cold. If the dog doesn't appear to be dirty, how often should a house pet be bathed? Bushed? Professionally groomed?
I usually bathe Sadie in the spring and the fall. thats it, she really does not get dirty.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Never bath my dogs, my English bull terrier is nearly 16 and was bathed once when a pup and never again. My present dog which is coming round to 11 months has never been bathed, we brush her occasionally. Hope this helps Jay.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

For most of the dogs we use regular dog shampoo, but for the Jack Russell mix we use a prescription shampoo. Starting Monday Bramble will be professionally groomed, since she will be out and about more.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

My dogs get a small spoon full of coconut oil each day with their food and then they get hosed off in the summer when they get muddy plus regular brushing. I don't really want to put any chemicals on them but overall they seem clean. Now when we got Asia, she stank like a barn so I took her to a doggie day spa to get her cleaned up but overall I don't trust those places.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

We have also taken the dogs to the self wash dog spa. It was very convenient and was a good socialization opportunity. But I'm trying a mobile service because I think a professional will do a better job than me at toe nails.

Bramble is really easy to bathe. We have to watch her when my son takes a bath because she like to hop in with her people's. She loves taking a bath.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I use my shampoo and conditioner on Rogue. It’s organic and I get it at Sprouts Farmers Market. Giovanni is the brand. Hardly any chemicals and no parabens or sulfates. I bathe Rogue occasionally.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG