Latest Rescue

Have a photo you want to share?
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Latest Rescue

Post by icvanstra »

Take a gander at our latest rescue!

Picked her up this afternoon from the shelter. They contacted NADSR yesterday that they needed to get this little lady out of the shelter, hoping that our breed specific rescue could get her placed more quickly.

She has been with me for about 4 hours now and I have to tell you that she is just about the sweetest thing I have ever met! Coming out of the shelter she was a little stinky....okay...a LOT stinky...she wasn't happy about the bath she got on the way home, but definitely not hard to deal with at all.

Didn't do a very good job of prepping the house before I left to pick her up, so when I got home I had a few moments of stress as she and Abigail met the first time. A lot of sniffing and posturing as I got Abigail out and this gal in the house. Been much easier now that I've dug out the baby gates and set up an extra wire crate.

There has been quite a bit of sniffing around the house, checking things out and a surprising amount of utter peacefulness! Not long ago she pushed her way past my legs and curled up under my desk. Not long before that she was trying to climb up on my lap. A very loving dog that is rapidly wrapping herself around my heartstrings.

Give me some time and I'll get some more photo's.

My first big task with her is to get some of her weight off. When I first saw her something didn't look quite right... then I figured out it was her extra girth and that rather short tail....okay I may be imagining things with that 'short tail' comment. ;-)

later,
eric
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Latest Rescue

Post by icvanstra »

some quick shots I took of her when I got home today...a couple of Cino as well

Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Since I changed jobs I work from home a lot more. One of Cino's favorite spots is curled up under my desk...pushing my feet out! Now with two dogs wanting to be under there I am being pushed out from my own office... :roll:

I couldn't ask for a better foster dog! ...now if only I could get Abigail to get along with other females...

Things are still going very well with Diamond. This last weekend I had to put her up in a kennel (just couldn't take her with me) and the kennel owner had her out with some other dogs. Everything was great. No fighting, no submission, no aggression...just a flat out nice dog is what he told me.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
jamacee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in Ga. w/ my wife 6mo. old daughter and 8yr old son and our new Dutchie Rescue Shelby and our 12 yr old 3legged wonder mutt Judah. We as a family enjoy rock climbing ,hiking,backpacking,and the outdoors. I have High hopes of maybe one day working towards SAR work.

Post by jamacee »

She's a beaut. I was watching her on the NADSR so how long do you foster? We rescued ours and she is wonderful and now I am hooked I eventually hope to have a happy working male one day.
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

It depends... I've had them as long as several months and some as few as a couple of weeks.

The females I have to get out of my house faster than the males!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
jamacee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in Ga. w/ my wife 6mo. old daughter and 8yr old son and our new Dutchie Rescue Shelby and our 12 yr old 3legged wonder mutt Judah. We as a family enjoy rock climbing ,hiking,backpacking,and the outdoors. I have High hopes of maybe one day working towards SAR work.

Post by jamacee »

Is she good around other females or is it your other female thats a lil female aggresive?
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

The problem is my mutt Abigail. She has a history of being Bitch-Bitch aggressive.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
jamacee
Just Whelped

Post by jamacee »

wow sooo tempting - we just got a rescue and I love these dogs - I really wanted to get Shelby fully trained before I brought another in the home - still it's very tempting but I'm not sure I can train 2 dogs at once
bent_key
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a law enforcement officer and am looking for a dog that would be good with keeping the house while I am at work. At the same time I need a dog that is calm around children as well as clear headed around the public. I intend to take the dog with me when I go to town, my parents, my friends, any where. I live alone and do not have any other pets, but will be getting small live stock. So, if the dog has a tendency to kill chickens I'm not interested. But, if it likes killing raccoons, possums, or even cats, I don't mind.

Post by bent_key »

What part of INDY. are you in? I live in the NW part of Ohio and am looking for a DS, but can't spend what a breeder is asking. I'll be honest that I am a little leery of getting a dog that over two years old. At the same time I would be interested in checking this one out or of course other DS's that are close. TN and like wise are too far of a drive. I am looking for a dog for my house: I live alone, no other pets (but will be getting small livestock), and plan to take the dog just about everywhere I go. I would need a dog that I don't need to worry about going crazy on people unless it is necessary. I live in the country and have a large yard and plenty of space inside for the dog to investigate and move around.
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

bent_key wrote:What part of INDY. are you in?
Broad Ripple
bent_key wrote: I live in the NW part of Ohio and am looking for a DS, but can't spend what a breeder is asking. I'll be honest that I am a little leery of getting a dog that over two years old. At the same time I would be interested in checking this one out or of course other DS's that are close.
There was a Dutch Shepherd pulled from a shelter in Wooster, OH, in the last couple of days. Right now he is being evaluated and will be going to his foster home in a day or two. The lady who pulled him is checking him out first.

Keep an eye on http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org for more information

eric
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Update:

Diamond was recently moved to Tennessee. She will be going to live with her adoptive family later this month near Nashville.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
k94ever
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Have worked a Dutch Shepherd for three years before having to give him up,Love the breed,there intelligence and dedication to please. Currently trying to adopt one.

Post by k94ever »

Diamond is doing great finally getting settled in after leaving the rescue,she is starting to feel her comfort zone, we have had a few minor mishaps with the other small dog but we worked thru them. She is a wonderful and loving dog and great to have around. Thanks NADSR.