Christmas Day - 2010

Have a photo you want to share?
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Christmas Day - 2010

Post by icvanstra »

My brother and I wanted to get out of the house for a bit, so I took the dogs and the camera along...

Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Christmas Day - 2010

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Adorable!
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Wow! How tall is that statue of the dancing couple in the first pic? I first thought that that was an awfully silly tiny tree, to put beside it, but if those are Cino and Abby at the bottom.............. :o :shock:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
sgar-LPC
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have recently adopted a military working dog, Dutch Shepherd breed, by the name of Hhinch. He is 16 months old and a bundle of energy!

Post by sgar-LPC »

Great photos! And yes, very interesting statues! They are enormous!!!
Staci G
Texas
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing. I was impressed by the size of that statue. And by your two very nice looking dogs of course.
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

The statue is left over from a J. Seward Johnson display of his “trompe l’oeil” exhibit that the City of Auburn, IN, had last summer. After the exhibit was over the artist didn't have anywhere to send this large one, based upon ( if I remember correctly ) a Renoir painting, so he asked the city if they would essentially store it for him.

His artwork has been displayed around Auburn twice now and each time most people you talk to love it....except for the piece in the above photographs. This one, pretty much everyone you talk to does not like. Different reasons - though a lot based upon the location of where it is. Most people think it should have been put in Eckhart Park which vaguely resembles the park like setting of the painting.

The Santa's Chalet that's in the background of some of the photo's my father and his fellow Jaycee's had built before I was born. I'm sure it's been rebuilt since then... ;-) My father was Santa for many years.

The library photo's show the addition put on in 1996 - HUGE controversy of course. The original library was built by a local who thought the Carnegie libraries being built at the time were ugly and had too many restrictions put upon them.

here's a rather old photo of the library. I spent a lot of time growing up in that building and playing in the grounds around it.

Charles Eckhart was a carriage maker at the time and his son's started the Auburn Automobile Company --- Where the phrase "it's a Deusy" comes from.

The fountain was added not long after the library was built (by Eckhart again). You can't see it very well, but at the top are two boys fighting over a goose (or duck).
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

icvanstra wrote: I spent a lot of time growing up in that building
Figuratively and literally (all pun intended) :D
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

This is most likely the painting you refer to I think Eric:

http://blogs.princeton.edu/wri152-3/s06 ... val_2.html
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Yes, that's it. There is an information stand next to the statue and in one of the photo's you can see that image on it.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Very cool to get the history on it, and see the picture that inspired the statue. Lovely library, BTW. It seems to have a bit of a chalet feel about it. 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

The dogs did a good job at staying put ... but I couldn't keep their attention/focus.

My brother went with me and was standing off to my side. He kept talking to the dogs and distracting them. :roll:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Wow, I also thought it was a tiny little tree, untill I spotted the dogs :D Nice pics!
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Great photos, Eric! They look like Christmas post cards. Thanks for sharing and for informing.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana