Hiking and Training with Madix

Have a photo you want to share?
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Hiking and Training with Madix

Post by FG167 »

Took Madix (and Midas along with my two other ex-dogs) out for a long hike a couple of weeks ago. We started out with some obedience work - trying to practice in as many environments as possible - especially when he's way excited (three other dogs in the truck, barking to go out hiking) and knows that more fun is coming (hiking with his pals).

Thanks for looking!

Here's me, dressed up like an eskimo:

Practicing focused heeling:

Practicing holding and presenting the reward in different areas:

I taught him a "head down" command - wondered if he'd do it in the snow lol
ImageImage

And of course, the obligatory running-his-mouth-like-always photos :D
ImageImage

I <3 this dog!!
ImageImageImageImage

Practicing muscle memory for dock jumping - we have a tourney coming up in Feb:
ImageImage

Just for fun:
ImageImageImage

With the jolly ball I make him carry every time we go to the park to just run - it keeps him from shrieking like a banshee:

Thanks for looking, sorry there was so many!!!
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hiking and Training with Madix

Post by icvanstra »

Great photos!!!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Such nice shots! Madix is a beauty. For those of us who live in frozen tundra territory--thank goodness snow is the equivilent of canine crack.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
bestlind
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!

Post by bestlind »

Beautiful Pictures and beautiful dog! That little jolly ball is so cute, I am used to the big horse ones! Are you dock diving at Outdoorama in Novi with UAD? If so, we will be there on Thursday and Sunday.
Lindsay Best

Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

Thanks!!! :)
Raven wrote:Such nice shots! Madix is a beauty. For those of us who live in frozen tundra territory--thank goodness snow is the equivilent of canine crack.
Tooooo true!!! With the crazy amount we got last night - my two are in heaven!!

Yes, we are going to Novi - it will be Madix's first time as an adult jumping - he did it when he was 6 months but back then it was more he just ran until he ran out of dock and hit the water LOL We're only going Saturday though for jumps 4 and 5. I'm relatively sure you will hear us before you see us - he has a very...unique...bark hahaha
bestlind
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!

Post by bestlind »

Oh too bad we will miss you. I have to work on Saturdays so I try to take advantage of all of the Sunday competitions. Good luck though and have fun! I love UAD, its a really great organization.
Lindsay Best

Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

You can NEVER post too many pictures, as far as I am concerned!!! I always enjoy seeing everyone's dogs and these were great shots of Madix and you too! Madix is so handsome and looks to be a really fun dog. So he is vocal you say? My Zip is quiet as a church mouse. She prefers to operate in stealth mode which can be lethal sometimes. :eek:

Keep the pictures coming.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Oh, and the small jolly ball.....I am like Lindsay in that I have only seen the large ones at the livestock store intended for horses. How durable is the small one because that looks like a great toy for my guys. Is it pretty thick so a tight bite wont puncture it easily?

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

I buy the horse ball and the smaller versions (there's varying sizes). None are safe from predatory jaws. The handles are off in seconds and the teeth puncture the ball like a warm knife through melted butter. What remains, though, is still much fun!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Nice pics!! I LOVE this one:

Those eyes :dssmile:
FG167
Green Dog

Post by FG167 »

@Lindsay - oh what a bummer! I have Schutzhund on Sundays and I would rather do that than dock jump so I'll be missing out - even if we make it to finals, which is a bummer as well! Good luck :)

@GSDNanny - Stealth mode?! Madix would never grasp the concept of being stealthy. He is in your FACE all the time. He's much more straight forward and I don't think able to master stealth even if I showed him :lol: And his "bark" is recognizable from miles away...I wonder if Christie's Salix is the same??

The small Jolly Ball works fantastic for what I'm using it for (to plug his mouth from shrieking :roll: ) - however, the handle is half off already - he carries it by the handle so that it flops around by the side of his face, he looks like a Goob. Also, he's punctured one side already lol. But, it is true, still doing the job - plus it wasn't too pricey.

@Marjolein - I <3 his eyes too - he's got such a sweet expression - people comment all the time on the way that he looks at me.
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

FG167 wrote: And his "bark" is recognizable from miles away...I wonder if Christie's Salix is the same??
Only a mile you say???? And I love how "bark" is in quotes. Its more of a full on scream/shriek with occasional yips/barks thrown in just for fun.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

What fantastic pictures!!! He's really gorgeous...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...