Found my forever dog

Have a photo you want to share?
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Found my forever dog

Post by brindledog »

So, I'm hoping nobody hates on me for the previous posts. FWIW- the rescue from which I had a puppy on trial adoption was totally ok with taking the puppy back, as the agreement was a 2 week trial to see how things worked out, which unfortunately, they did not. However, they adopted out the puppy just days later.

Days later I found a puppy that I knew was the right dog for my family. She was advertised as a Dutch/GSD mix. I met both parents, and they both appeared to be as stated. Though honestly, I don't care if they are not. Grendel is a great puppy. She's 9 weeks old, and despite the filthy, flea-ridden state she was in when I got her, she appears quite healthy, amazingly cute and very, very smart.

A picture of her mom is here:
https://flic.kr/p/DiC87W

Her dad is definitely GSD:
https://flic.kr/p/CNma4F

And here's Grendel!:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsktEdCbW

If you can believe it (I barely can), I have had her for 3 days now and she has had only 1 accident in the house! I don't even know how that's possible. I do take her out once an hour, but within a day she was going to the front door when she had to go to the bathroom. I find that incredible. She is sleeping in a crate at night and has not used the bathroom in the crate, either. I think her bathroom practices at only 9 weeks is a sign of great things to come!

AND she is doing well with the cat (of course, she's hardly bigger than the cat at the moment!).

Very happy with my new family member!
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Found my forever dog

Post by k9lexi »

She looks absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on your new baby! I'm glad things are working out.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, she is amaizing looking. I cant wait to see her as she grows !! the color and the legs! she is going to be a big girl I bet. Beautiful mom and dad too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

Thanks for the nice comments! I really appreciate them. I just realized I should have posted in a different thread- sorry about that.

But yeah, I'm really psyched to have found Grendel. She just had her first shots and I'm bummed that the world is going to miss out on her cuteness for another 2 months. But I did sign us up for a puppy socialization class that starts next week. Want to get her out as much but as safely as possible. Looking forward to advanced classes when she's older. There's actually a circus dog course near me that I'm going to check out, and I believe the same place has agility training as well.

I'm so excited!
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Moving to "Photographs/Pictures." (It was that or "Whatever.")
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
DanLu5
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.

Post by DanLu5 »

Very cute puppy!!! Congrats on the adoption and hope you guys have many great adventures together!
DND & Lohgs, ON
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Look at those paws. She's going to be a big girl.
SoLo4me
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a New to the Dutch Shepard arena . I am researching and gaining as much knowledge to make the most educate decision on purchasing a puppy . I have read on most of various websites that the DS is with an off switch much differentthe Malinois . I am located in the Midwest and would like to attend any events or kennels in the area. FYI , as a previous dog owner , would still like any type or constructive criticism , to assist me with my process.

Post by SoLo4me »

Very nice looking , kudos to only having one accident for those couple of days . Enjoy your new pup. Regards
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

how is Grendel today
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

id love to hear an update too
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P