Hiking

Have a photo you want to share?
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Hiking

Post by dutchringdog »

Thalies all time favorite pastime, Sadie is loving it too, so many new smells and things to check out.

Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hiking

Post by icvanstra »

Wish I had more places close to my house where I could let the dogs off leash and just let them run!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Hiking with them is so much fun!

I can't tell from the pictures here (kind of dark :mrgreen: ), but my DS's coat is not really dark, so she blends in perfectly with the leaves, so you can hardly even see her sometimes.

Do your's stand out or blend in with the fall colors?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

always nice, we love it too :D
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie, she is in the back on the top two, and thats her head stuck in the ground, she is pretty dark with sandy stripes, Sadie, the leggy one, is ligher with red highlights LOL. Thalie can be standing next to me and I wont see her, she blends in to everything! She is very stealthy. Sadie, on the other hand, bounces around to much, she hasn't learned the art of stealth yet.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I have all sorts of brindles and even fawn. They all blend, believe it or not. Darker (almost black) blends every bit as good -of not better- as/than golden brindles. And even fawns blend seamlessly in most settings.
Mine take many hikes, but it is all on their own lively 'back yard' woods. I sometimes wonder if they get bored with the same old same old.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:I have all sorts of brindles and even fawn. They all blend, believe it or not. Darker (almost black) blends every bit as good -of not better- as/than golden brindles. And even fawns blend seamlessly in most settings.
Mine take many hikes, but it is all on their own lively 'back yard' woods. I sometimes wonder if they get bored with the same old same old.

That's interesting about the blending. My GSD was a sable and blended well, but not as well as Geyser does. Perhaps her coat is kind of like DS cammo :lol: .

I'll bet they do get a bit bored with your trails. I know when we go to outside trails, Geyser gets more excited. Zodi was the same way, too. Me too, for that matter :D Novelty rocks!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Breaking Bombs
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a dutch shepherd and doberman enthusiast and will hopefully be adopting my first Dutch this week from NADSR. I don't have any dogs yet, but hope to have one of each soon

Post by Breaking Bombs »

I know that in some Brindle dogs such as Bull Mastiffs, that particular color was bred in them primarily for the purpose of camouflage. I would assume brindles (dark ones in particular) are a natural camouflage (especially at night)
Nick
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

On the scale of "I lost my darn dog" I think that dark brindle is hardest to spot, lighter brindles next, then fawn, but they still all blend well and a standing fawn (just like the deer, yeah) is still hard to spot. ;)

@ Leih. The setting is the same, you are right. But maybe they smells keep it always interesting?

dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

Judith, fantastic shots!!!!!!! i love all of the different animals in one spot. Be hind my house is about 100 acres, so there is soooo much to sniff. Thalie comes mountain biking with me every weekend and always finds new smells. She knows my biking gear and gets so excited.

Thats very interesting about the breeding info, I wonder if the brindle in the DS was for the same reason.

I tend to loose thalie more in the yard and in the house, she will be standing right behind me in the kitchen and I have no idea she is there, she is so quiet, outside I can hear her in the leaves. Sadies senses are in over drive when I take her hiking, new sounds and smells.
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Isn't one of the (many) reasons why DSs are liked for military tactical work is their inherent ability for camo?

In my office at work, I have (tons of) 8x10 photos of my last DS, Michala, and of Thor. Christie referred to Thor as a 60/40; my last DS was more fawn. Of Michala photos taken out back by the woods, people either ask, "What is that?" or "Is that a wolf?" or "Is that a deer?"--or my favorite: "What is that?" Especially with the fallen leaves in autumn, I could look out there and still not see her....

Thor is darker, but I can spot that boy no matter what. However! Michala had savvy...was smoooooooth...more mature...majestic...
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

dutchringdog wrote:Judith, fantastic shots!!!!!!! i love all of the different animals in one spot.
Thank you! But I could certainly have done without the pigs . :evil: (next shot showed at least two babies at her side)
Thats very interesting about the breeding info, I wonder if the brindle in the DS was for the same reason.
Not very likely, no. They were guard dogs, homestead dogs, herding dogs, but nothing that required for them to remain unseen. (if you disregard a few poachers) I think the most likely reason for brindle was, that from all the colors in the genenpool of the continental shepherd (that was the basis for the GSD first then a few years later the Belgian shepherds and last but not least, the Dutch Shepherds) the only shade not taken yet was brindle. :yernuts:
Black and tan, solid black, and sable for the GSD. Fawn short, wire and long hair and black long hair for the Belgians. Leaves brindle, blue and 'chestnut'. The (early) DS's allowed chestnut/auburn for the long hair. I am not sure if it was bb brown (like a chocolate labrador) or just a dark fawn (like some Tervurens nowadays?) If it was bb brown, they could not meet the requirment for a dark nose (always red in a bb) and they might have dropped it for that reason. Brindle remained the only accepted color, with blues in the wire haired variety.
Raven wrote:Isn't one of the (many) reasons why DSs are liked for military tactical work is their inherent ability for camo?
Maybe that could be considered the icing on the cake. The best reason is the workability and longevity. In the DoD 'superdog' breeding program, they like the brindles because they are easy to place in case the program has to wash them. :? Much easier than Malinois, they say. Go figure. Of course, I'd like to think that there is no need to wash them out....
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Love the wildlife pics! Shows how much goes on when we are not looking and what our dogs are smelling and we have no idea.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Here's a couple of Geyser searching a brush pile when she was 17 weeks old. Not great shots...

The farther away from her I am, the more difficult it is for me to see her in these situations.

Judith...wonderful pictures! You must be quiet as a mouse in the woods to get those shots! Me? I sound like a herd of elephants; the most we ever see are deer crashing away in the woods :lol: (And, I'm sure your dogs are very happy on your property; looks like a doggie wonderland to me...)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Wow Judith, all those critters appear in your back yard? Critter-cams are so cool. A friend caught a shot of a cougar up near Shreveport not long ago. You are so right about the wild pigs though, they are terribly destructive and Texas is over-run with them. Can mess up a dog badly too. Thanks for sharing.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
dutchringdog
Green Dog

Post by dutchringdog »

Leih, Geyser blends in perfectly!!
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

dutchringdog wrote:Leih, Geyser blends in perfectly!!
Geyser?? :dsroll: There's no dog in the pic...duh... :dsroll:
dutchringdog
Green Dog

Post by dutchringdog »

Marjolein wrote:

Oh Silly me, I could swear I saw a little doggie in the leaves and brush, It must just be the ds image burned into my retina. :dswink"
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote:
:lol:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser