September 2010 Photo Contest - Labor Dog

Monthly Photo Contest
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: September 2010 Photo Contest - Labor Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

vneerland wrote: The dog had been hauling their iced down beers all day long. :oops: :twisted:
NICE!!! When I was young we spent a lot of time backpacking in our local mountains. My Dad actually used to deal with packing the weight of a beer for each night. In terms of multi-day packs, that is a lot of weight!! :D Crazy guy. He's settled down now, and goes lightweight. I've never gone to the extreme of making my dogs pack beer for me!
Kelly
Koenig
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

Here is Madix working with his pack:

turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Thats the same pack Koenig was wearing, but in red! :D
Kelly
Koenig
FG167
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)

Post by FG167 »

turnnburn52984 wrote:Thats the same pack Koenig was wearing, but in red! :D
I wasn't too impressed with the quality, but as a first pack, it did the job. I put it on my lab to carry all of his food when we went camping this summer and had a terrible time keeping it squared on his back. Buuutttt, I also abused it terribly. We hooked the pack (on my lab) up to the canoe and had him help haul it up this ginormous hill - the little plastic things ripped out of the pack and a ton of threads came out. My friend got me (and Madix) a Ruffwear approach pack for my birthday this year - just no photos yet. He doesn't mind it, but thinks he's not supposed to run with it on his back lol. Awesome pack, love it so far :)

ETA: I am pretty positive I use that same treat pouch that is hanging off the one side of your pack as well. Great minds think alike? :)
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I was going to suggest the ruffwear packs. :) Koenig has the Palisade, I just couldn't find the PACK... only the harness. This Outward Bound pack was purchased like 10 years ago for my old GSD. It did the job also, I hadn't discovered the wonders of RuffWear yet! My favorite thing about the Palisade is that the packs are removable from the harness, the harness is EXCELLENT quality, and well padded, and I didn't have to buy water bladders, because they came with it.

And my treat pouch is by Outward hound as well. :) I lost the waist strap in that hike though, because I clipped the pouch to his pack. Still can't find it. Have been using a small rope leash, tied around my waist! (looks totally dorky, but it works)
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I had a great Ruffwear backpack for my GSD. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that if you get salt water on the zippers, you'd better rinse it off thoroughly! The zippers froze up after being stored one year...so Geyser will get a brand new one when it's her turn to pull her own weight :wtg: .

Nice pic of the Madster working!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Thanks for the warning about Salt Water... living in NW Washington, we have lots of that! ;) Our packs usually don't see a year w/o use though. Koenig wears his at least 2x a week for walks. (gotta get as much benefit from them as I can!) I LOVE the new Palisade.... I have the older model though. :( Can't warrant buying a new $100+ pack when his works OK still.
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

turnnburn52984 wrote:Can't warrant buying a new $100+ pack when his works OK still.
I hear that!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Struggling for a photo for this month...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

icvanstra wrote:Struggling for a photo for this month...
That makes two of us. Not giving up yet, tho...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

OK, here's our entry...Geyser working hard on climbing over a log...

leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Whaha! I LOVE that one! Geyser is trying SO hard :mrgreen:
turnnburn52984
Training Dog

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I can hear her! 'I WANT UP!!!!!!' (back feet paddling, scratching) LOL. So cute!
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

turnnburn52984 wrote:I can hear her! 'I WANT UP!!!!!!' (back feet paddling, scratching) LOL. So cute!
Yeah she is... and it's a huge fricking log :fluffy: . She made it up, too :yeah: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Does child-labor count??

"yeah, I'll fix your darn car..."

Can we put two in Eric :D This dog isn't mine, but the pic is 8-)

Frikke at work as a camera-man, carrying the recording-device on one side, the disc-writer on the other, and wearing his home-made camera-helmet 8-)
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I am really enjoying the heck out of these pix you all! :cheer: These are some awesome shots of some awesome looking DS's! :wtg: Love the backpacks for sure. And I do admit that I am jealous that I am not in the DS puppy club right now, some day, one day...... :g_wink: (although I do have a 11 week old blue cattledog with the personality of a DS!)

Denise Gatlin, Zip the DS and her k9 buddies
Louisiana

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

OMG, that wrench-holding puppy is just too cute for words! May just take the cake!

The other one looks like Borg to me :lol: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:love: Little Geyser is so darn cute, trying to follow Leih (no doubt) and wondering why the heck she had to go this way, and not travel via flat ground.

Marjoleins wrench pup is adorable. I bet he would be the first DS mechanic too. :lol:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Marjolein wrote: Can we put two in Eric :D This dog isn't mine, but the pic is 8-)
Marjolein... you know better. Just one entry. :ds:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

p.s. ...I think the wrench one!!!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal