Kapena's First Birthday!

Announce significant dates here - birthdays, anniversary's, etc
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Kapena's First Birthday!

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

We made it!! Sorry we haven't been on here much, we've been out having buckets of fun. I made a few videos of all the shenanigans we got up to yesterday on Kapena's birthday. This link also has a 4 minute video which is basically a highlight /blooper reel of the last year. 😊. https://photos.app.goo.gl/AG5OYAjediCbO7y72

Right now we're very pleased with how focused and wonderful Kapena has been. He does have a penchant for wires (mmm copper) so we are extra vigilant. Otherwise, he's my ideal vision of what a balanced dog would be. He trains and does bitework, small article search, object guarding, transport... And then right after he can be playing around everyone at the picnic benches. He crates well in his rough tough now. He doesn't fuss about much, he eats like a champ and I'm FINALLY keeping weight on him.

I wish he would focus and listen for me a little better because he prefers my husband but I broke my arm in November and it's going to be about another year before full recovery where I can be handler. So that's to be expected.

The link is at the top! Pics for attention! (I love how floofy he got in winter!).
FB_IMG_1521380648616.jpg
FB_IMG_1521380648616.jpg (304.41 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
FB_IMG_1521381235597.jpg
FB_IMG_1521381235597.jpg (534.06 KiB) Viewed 6414 times
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Kapena's First Birthday!

Post by centrop67 »

So majestic. A shame You missed this month's photo contest.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Well I posted one but the photo was after so 🤷‍♀️
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she is soooooooooooooooo beautiful !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 am Well I posted one...
My apologies, you did get in the contest. I had a brain fart yesterday. :doh:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm she is soooooooooooooooo beautiful !!!
Thanks Dutchringgirl! I love him. He was soooo much work, and probably will continue to be but he's perfect. Derpy, goofy fun. Him and my Dachshund coexhist. He's lovie and affectionate, but fierce and fixated on the job at hand. He can be suspicious when appropriate, and then flip and be relaxed. I just had set myself up to believe it would be a long and trecherous road (and it kinda was but we spent so much time on it and I didn't expect the rewards to come so soon but it helps that he's brilliant!) until we were here and we invested in training and spent the time and energy to exercise him and reinforce it... I am beyond excited about our journey thus far.

We will spend our time with him solo for another year or two and then look into getting another Dutchie. I don't think I'll ever want another kind of dog.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:53 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm she is soooooooooooooooo beautiful !!!
I don't think I'll ever want another kind of dog.
I didnt either LOL until Sadie.. :pint: :pint:

It just depends on where you are in your life. I am transitioning to a quieter dog for a while as I would like to do more travel and the DS loves to go go go and sometimes they need to hang out in the car or stay home or I may need to board them. But down the road my plans will include more DS !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Happy Birthday!!! He’s stunning.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG