Alpha Dogs

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Alpha Dogs

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

Last nights Alpha Dogs had a Breeder from Mexico on who brought a Mal and a DS to see if his dogs could be used for the California Kennels imports and training. They ended up taking the mal but not the DS. Their take was not enough ball drive. I would have said the DS was smart enough to know they would give him another so why bother gettin hot and tired over the ball in the sticker weeds.
Kella's Person Mara
Zephyrs Mom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have been training and working dogs, for over 30 years. My new pup, Zephyr, is my first Dutch Shepherd, and my first purebred dog. Zephyr is being trained in SAR work presently, and she is exceeding my expectations at 5 months of age. I fell in love with the Dutchie will working at the DoD Dog School back in 2009-2010; so versatile, so controllable, and extremely willing to do what you ask of them, and more! I'm looking forward to my life with this pup, and hopefully, any offspring that she may produce. Provided that she works out well in working dog aspects and health-wise, I plan to breed her, to begin my Working Dog program here in the Pacific Northwest; primarily for Law Enforcement and Search & Rescue.

Re: Alpha Dogs

Post by Zephyrs Mom »

The reason they want a very high ball anywhere and everywhere is that how the dog is going to work.. If he doesn't demonstrate that he has a drive for the ball in certain areas, then how can he be relied upon to search those same areas for explosives? I am a retired (almost) MWD handler, so I understand what they are looking for. In combat situations, you rely on that dog and his senses at all times and in all areas!
"...it's all about dogs!"