Washington state k9 DS

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Washington state k9 DS

Post by GSDNanny »

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Washington state k9 DS

Post by leih merigian »

Oh man...such a waste. I hope they throw away the key, though I know they won't.

What a great dog!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

What a handsome Dutch Shep he was and what a sad loss this is. :cry: :cry: :cry: No punishment would be severe enough IMO.

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

:cry: poor dog... I heard they often wear bullet proof vests now, because of stabbing etc. :?
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

He was beautiful.... I am pretty sure they will treat the guy like he killed a cop...He won't be feeling very well for a long time. The system does not take kindly to the manhandling of what they consider to be their own.

My friend had his K9 shot, many years ago now, the police department has bullet proof vests for them after the incident. He was also a nice dog..
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

Sorry to hear about your friend's partner. Our K9 dept does equip our dogs with vests but it is so dog gone hot and humid down here in the south that they cant wear them for very long and rarely do.

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

GSDNanny wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend's partner. Our K9 dept does equip our dogs with vests but it is so dog gone hot and humid down here in the south that they cant wear them for very long and rarely do.
I didn't think about the heat... they will overheat soon I guess, wearing the vest :?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I second Denise. Vests, besides $ 1,000.00 each, (and therefore mostly in short supply) are often way too hot for every day wear. To be honest...the same goes for many of the Police Officers as well. :oops: That would not have applied in Washington State tough. (I think) What a horrible story. The dog looks like a black malinois to me (instead of a DS) but regardless, what a handsome dog, and he must have been a good one too, not to let go after the first stab. My deepest sympathy goes out to the handler. The suspect would be tried as having assaulted/killed a P.O. At least, down here he would. Not sure about the laws up in Washington.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I can say having very close ties to the PD community in Michigan and Ohio, that the person whether or not they have a specific law will be treated as though he killed a police officer. They don't take kindly to this type of stuff and I would imagine that sitting in Jail right now awaiting trial he is a very unhappy camper.

Judith is right the vests cost about a grand. The officers that I know are required to wear their vests while on duty. I am pretty sure that the dogs don't wear them but they have them... Hmm I wonder.. I might make a trip to the sheriffs dept to see that new DS they have....
Kristie
Breaking Bombs
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a dutch shepherd and doberman enthusiast and will hopefully be adopting my first Dutch this week from NADSR. I don't have any dogs yet, but hope to have one of each soon

Post by Breaking Bombs »

vneerland wrote:I second Denise. Vests, besides $ 1,000.00 each, (and therefore mostly in short supply) are often way too hot for every day wear. To be honest...the same goes for many of the Police Officers as well. :oops: That would not have applied in Washington State tough. (I think) What a horrible story. The dog looks like a black malinois to me (instead of a DS) but regardless, what a handsome dog, and he must have been a good one too, not to let go after the first stab. My deepest sympathy goes out to the handler. The suspect would be tried as having assaulted/killed a P.O. At least, down here he would. Not sure about the laws up in Washington.
I just wanted to comment on the bold. The thin second chance vests that Officers usually wear weigh almost nothing, don't add terribly to the heat, and are well worth the protection they offer. It's not like they are wearing +35lbs of armor meant to stop rifle rounds for hours and hours on end in 130*F (with some exceptions of course).

Now for the dogs I see it being a different matter, but I think it would definitely be worth it for raids or any situation where there is a high probability of danger. In a normal patrol, I certainly agree that it would likely be too much for the dog in hot weather conditions.

Regardless, it is very sad to hear this, and I hope that SOB rots
Nick
Kristie E
Training Dog

Post by Kristie E »

Breaking Bombs wrote:
I just wanted to comment on the bold. The thin second chance vests that Officers usually wear weigh almost nothing, don't add terribly to the heat, and are well worth the protection they offer. It's not like they are wearing +35lbs of armor meant to stop rifle rounds for hours and hours on end in 130*F (with some exceptions of course).

Ugh, you just brought back memories of hiking in 100+ degree heat in the middle of the summer... fully dressed out.

This guy may not rot very quickly but I can assure you he is taking some beatings.
Kristie
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Sad. :(

Interesting side note for me.... Koenig's Dad was supposedly a working K-9 (We're in WA). Hummmmm
Kelly
Koenig
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Breaking Bombs wrote:
vneerland wrote:I second Denise. Vests, besides $ 1,000.00 each, (and therefore mostly in short supply) are often way too hot for every day wear. To be honest...the same goes for many of the Police Officers as well. :oops:
I am sure you are right Nick. There are vests that are 'comfortable'. That would assume that your department buys then for you. I know too many rural departments that do not have the $$ (or do not want to spend it) :eek: So the officers go without. :cry:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image