Wild Police Chase in SoCal (K9 Puskas)

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Wild Police Chase in SoCal (K9 Puskas)

Post by centrop67 »

If you follow the Facebook groups, you may have seen this video of a wild take down by a police K9. It turns out that the K9 was, in fact, a Dutch Shepherd. :wtg:

Unfortunately, there's a little more to the story.

They think that during the take down, the dog's face smashed into a curb, and the dog was pretty badly injured during the event - losing several teeth and requiring surgery immediately after the incident. :cry:

The good news, however, is that they believe the K9 will be okay and also be back on the job soon.

:DSangel:

Santa Ana police K-9 Puskas leaves hospital...
Story Link
www.ocregister.com wrote:A badly injured Santa Ana police K-9 dog left the hospital Tuesday, Feb. 27 after undergoing surgery hours after helping officers dramatically chase down a fleeing carjacker — a pursuit and ensuing struggle that knocked out several of the animal’s upper and lower teeth.
Doctors had to fully extract each of Puskas’ broken teeth and stitch a large cut on his face, Bertagna said. He added that the teeth Puskas lost won’t stop him from doing his job, and that he should be able to work again after a few weeks off.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Wild Police Chase in SoCal (K9 Puskas)

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just saw this last night, I didnt read the whole article, what about his teeth?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

www.ocregister.com wrote:...but police think the dog’s face collided with the concrete while taking the suspect down, knocking out six of his smaller teeth but leaving his canines, the most important teeth for his job...
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

OOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

That is awesome!! I love how dutchies tend to bite high and hard compared to other breeds.. great end to a potentially deadly situation
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En chipped a couple teeth a few months ago. She was do focused on getting her ball that she slammed face first into the fire pit. Didn't phase her one bit.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Here's the latest news on K9 Puskas...

Parolee in O.C. Pursuit That Injured Police Dog Charged With Aggravated Assault
Story Link
According to this story, the suspect, Antonio Padilla Jr., 37, repeatedly punched the dog. This horrible excuse for a human being is facing 120 years to life, because he is a 3rd striker.

Hero Police Dog Gets Purple Heart For Taking A Bite Out Of Crime
[ur=https://patch.com/california/losalamito ... out-crimel]Story Link[/url]
This story states that the injuries are a result of impact with the concrete, but states "In the struggle with the suspect, Puskas' face was slammed into the pavement, and some of the dog's teeth were jammed into his gums and some were halfway broken off."

iHeartRadio has a recorded interview with the officers here. You must listen to this, because the interviewer asks the officer if Puskas is a Canadian German Shepherd. :lol:

Most of the news on Puskas state that he'll back back on the job as early as within two weeks. But, in some bizarre twist, someone started a petition to "ensure that Puskas survives, is honored and gets to have a cushy retirement."

Despite some conflicting information in the various news stories, the officer clearly states that the injuries are mostly due to the momentum and force of the take down, and that Puskas will be back to work in about 2-3 weeks.
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I saw this on YouTube, quite the take down. It's so unfortunate that it had to occur right next to that curb :(

I'm happy to hear that the POS is facing up to the rest of his life behind bars
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

*** UPDATE ***

Puskas had a 2nd surgery, but is on his way to getting back to work. Link
www.theepochtimes.com wrote:In the video, Officer Luis Galeana, Puskas’s handler, sits behind the K-9, who looks to be in good spirits, and reassures a concerned public of the progress of his recovery. “He had a second surgery,” Galeana says, “but all is healing well.”
Michael
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

That happened in the city next to mine. Wild!!!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG