Waco PD Dog Killed After Attacking Handler

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Waco PD Dog Killed After Attacking Handler

Post by centrop67 »

I originally only posted this on the Forum's Facebook page, because the news article is about a Mal. It has received a lot of attention (views, reactions, and comments) on Facebook, so I am also posting it here for forum member comment.

Waco PD dog killed after it attacks handler Story Link
www.wacotrib.com wrote:Waco police and U.S. Marshals went to the 2000 block of Seneca Avenue at about 12:30 p.m. to serve a warrant for a wanted subject, Waco police Officer Garen Bynum said. As officers approached a house, the police dog, a Belgian Malinois, turned and bit the handler.

“At that point, another officer on scene was forced to put down the canine to save the officer,” Bynum said.
The story references a 2001 incident where a Dutch Shepherd was killed in similar circumstances...
www.wacotrib.com wrote:In July 2001, Waco police shot and killed the department’s 3-year-old Dutch shepherd named Blur when the dog and its handler, Waco police Officer John Allovio, were searching for a stolen car suspect in the 800 block of Harlem Avenue. The dog attacked another officer who approached him from behind.
A lot of the comments point to a troubled K9 program and the need to revisit or revamp it.

For me, there's a lot of unanswered questions. First of all, I truly believe that almost all dog bites are a result of a stupid human (or someone acting stupid in the moment).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the training is to bite and hold, so why the extreme and final response? I get it - a neck or head bite is life threatening, so I can only assume that's what happened. But, that's not in the story.

BTW - there's a 3rd incident mentioned in the article where a handler in Columbus, OH shot his dog because it came back at him after a correction.

Sorry about the extra long post, but I am really interested in the thought of our forum members.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Waco PD Dog Killed After Attacking Handler

Post by borellar15 »

I have to say... I’d need more details to firmly believe the stories the officers told, or they are doing something seriously wrong in their K9 program. I know freak things can happen from time to time but the same PD multiple times?? I think there is a common denominator in these stories. Bite training should not make your dog aggressive. They’re either using the wrong dogs or teaching the dogs the wrong way. :huh:
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Police identify officers involved in shooting death of police dog Story Link

Here's what happened:
Kristin Hoppa - Waco Tribune-Herald wrote:On approaching the house, Kastor (A Mal) reportedly turned and bit (Officer Michael) Bucher on his inner thigh, Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said Monday. Bucher repeatedly commanded Kastor to stop, and Waco police Det. Eric Trojanowski then tried unsuccessfully to pull the dog loose, Swanton said.
Bucher then asked another officer to put the dog down after attempts to pry it loose failed. :?

BTW - Bucher is the dog's handler according to the article.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea I mean I read the article but I think there’s more to the story than what’s being told. I think some investigating needs to go into how they’re training their dogs in that department and how the handlers are treating them on and off duty.
Image Image
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

Common denominator is Waco PD. In my opinion, it comes down to lack of training for all types of scenarios, not just perfect situations.

The Mike Ritland and Frank Ritter episodes of Working Dog Radio we’re fairly enlightening on how poorly run a lot of police K-9 programs are run and also touches on the lack of training for all scenarios that I mentioned above. Wouldn’t surprise me if Waco is in need of a revamp.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

oddbird wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 am Common denominator is Waco PD.
I agree and that’s surprising especially since They are not too far away from some pretty top tier trainers. Dave Kroyer is right in Hutto, TX which is only maybe 2 hours away and he holds training seminars and stuff all the time and works with several police departments. He’s got a pretty outstanding list of accomplishments.
Image Image
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

More info on this story...

U.S. Marshals capture robbery suspect after delay due to dog attack Story Link
www.wacotrib.com wrote:Authorities have caught up with a Waco robbery suspect after calling off an attempted arrest at the suspect's home last week, when a police dog bit his handler.
Michael