Breeders For Police K9's

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Breeders For Police K9's

Post by HARNW76 »

I've looked at a number of breeder web sites that deal a lot with police departments. They seem to have some great dogs. My concern is that as a civilian I would never get one of their top quality puppies from any particular litter. That the breeder would keep the very best puppy for their own purposes and then the remaining "good" puppies would go to police departments. With people like myself getting the puppies that are less then their best. I'd like to know if this should be a real concern of mine. And if I should avoid breeders that talk specifically about breeding for police K9's.
(I didn't know where else on the forum to put this question so I hope this is ok)
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: Breeders For Police K9's

Post by alspyce »

My feeling is that ALL pups are only "Prospects" at the time they are sold.
Even if you get the "pick of the litter", it doesn't always turn out to be the best as an adult. The breeder can give their best educated guess, after having raised and handled the litter, and hopefully with knowledge of how pups from their bloodlines usually develope, but a lot is still chance/training/environment, etc. :twocents:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Also be mindful that this can be used as a marketing tag line to lure in uneducated or impulsive buyers who may see this as some indication of the quality of the dogs. Breeders can makes all sorts of boastful claims on their website. Just because some one has typed on their web page that they sell police dogs or breed only police quality puppies (which would be a warning flag to me to make such bold statements) doesn't always make it true or can be a distorted version of reality.

Picking a good reputable breeder who will give you proper support if you need help with the pup, is experienced to pick the right pup for you, is there ultimately to help you make the best of your pup, and isn't just after your initial money I think is just as important as picking a good breeding combination/pup.
Choochi
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Post by HARNW76 »

Choochi & Alspyce,
Thank you for your insight.
I'm taking notes on all that you're sharing with me.
And will put the information to good use.
Thank you again for taking time out to answer
so many of my questions.
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Just because it says "police" K9, doesn't mean a thing. Any of these dogs could be trained to certain level to be accepted at many departments and the same dog could equally be ruined by a bad owner. You got to be very calm but firm with them- always. Or at least so far that is what I learned owning the Dutchie's I have.
HARNW76
Puppy

Post by HARNW76 »

Mark77 wrote:Just because it says "police" K9, doesn't mean a thing. Any of these dogs could be trained to certain level to be accepted at many departments and the same dog could equally be ruined by a bad owner. You got to be very calm but firm with them- always. Or at least so far that is what I learned owning the Dutchie's I have.
Mark, I've been married over 25 years so I'm all about being calm but firm!
Did really say that out loud? :mrgreen:
Thanks,
Harold Eaker