Looking for a breeder willing to work with me.

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
TAdamLaird
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a very outgoing and driven individual. I work as a skydiving instructor in Illinois. I currently don't own a dog myself because previous life uncertainties have limited my free time. Now I am comfortable and have a great home to offer to a great pup. I apprenticed as a dog trainer for two years before my current career and I am in the process of starting a small business for my local community. I will need a dog that is sharp and can keep up with a busy schedule. I want a dog that I can train in basic and advanced obedience, agility, search and rescue, as well as tracking work from puppyhood. I have handled PPDs. I understand bite work and I have a lot of respect for those types of disciplines. I am NOT looking to train nor handle a PPD or a dog that has been trained for bite work at any point during its life. I have done my research and have decided that that a dutch shepherd will be my best friend. So here I am, to try and find a breeder to help place me with the proper puppy.

Looking for a breeder willing to work with me.

Post by TAdamLaird »

Hello everyone,
I am a very outgoing and driven individual. I have worked as a full time skydiver for the last three years. I have owned dogs most of my life. Currently, I don't own a dog myself because previous life uncertainties have limited my free time. Now, I am comfortably living on a 250-acre private property next to a river with plenty of time and space to raise a happy dog.
I apprenticed as a dog trainer for a location in Northern Virginia for two years before I started my current career. I worked with all levels of dogs from puppies to adults, low to high drive, with fear and dominate aggression issues focusing on rehabilitation. Basic and advanced obedience, 'tricks', scent work, agility, dock diving, S&R and multiple different levels of PPDs are just some of the training techniques that I have learned.
Since then I have had constant contact with dogs and have maintained my training abilities through friend and family's dogs. I am in the process of starting a small dog training business for my local community with the help of my mentor. In order to be any sort of reputable trainer I will need a dog that is sharp and can keep up with a busy schedule. I am interested in having a dog that I can train in basic and advanced obedience, agility, search and rescue, as well as tracking work from puppyhood.
I have handled French ring and Schutzhund dogs. I understand bite work and I have a lot of respect for those types of disciplines. I am NOT looking to train nor handle a personal protection dog or a dog that has been trained for bite work at any point during its life.
I believe that a good relationship between a dog and a person is based on trust. I don’t follow a specific school of though when it comes to training, but I do believe that a comfortable balance in reward and correction is important when owning a dog. Also important is the freedom in ‘allowing your dog to be a dog.’
With that said I have always owned and worked with shepherds. I have done a lot of research and have decided that I want a Dutch shepherd as my best friend. So here I am, to learn as much as I can about them and the disciplines I am looking to train. I hope to try and find a breeder that understands what I am looking and who is willing to help place me with the proper puppy.
I still have a lot to learn and ‘don’t know what I don’t know’ yet, so if you have any suggestions, feedback, concerns, hot tips or are a breeder what I am looking for give me a shout.

-Adam

(PS: I hate to say it, but looks are important as well. I want a dark/black face, short hair, brindle Dutch Shepherd puppy with papers and vetting upon receiving. I will want to meet the parents. Average build, female preferred. This is not a purchase I am looking to make tomorrow, nor do I expect to find the perfect dog instantly.)