Looking for a young Dutch

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Looking for a young Dutch

Post by Mark77 »

Raven wrote:Old thread that the OP left, in a huff. Basically, he was asking for breeders that produced not only family-oriented DSs but cat-friendly ones.

Nice he wanted to keep his cat (and family) safe, but I've never heard of a DS breeder known for cat-friendly litters.

As far as owning more than one DS because it helps keep them busy with each other, that is not an absolute. It's wonderful that you have had an experience where that holds true--because of the dogs you own and your abilities. This wouldn't work for most of the average dog owners, IMO.

I love your passion for the breed, please understand that. I think you have a situation (for lack of a better word) that not many average Joes could handle. And handle well. Without the dog(s) receiving the short-end of the stick.

My trainer thinks I'm crazy for having three of these dogs. Thing is a lot of people on here own more than one I thought. Two usually. They are a lot of fun and definitely keep me busy.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mark77 wrote:they are dogs no different than any other dog.
I'd have to politely disagree---------------not because they are DSs, but because I think it's a mistake to think a dog is a dog is a dog. Regardless of breed. Consider the breed, yes, but consider the individual dog as well.

If a dog is a dog is a dog, why are there breeds for hunting, for police work, for being gentle?

Working line dogs that ARE true working dogs are typically kenneled, raised kenneled, and don't make sound family pets.

As far as non-working, working-line dogs, it's not that they can't make for a family pet, but it's not a given that they will be and it takes work to make it work. They weren't bred to organically cuddle or think little Suzy's sleepover friends who are running all over with those high-pitched girly screams are cute.

Everyone wanted a JRT when the show Fraser was on. No one knew what a JRT was like but they all wanted one. Breed d'jour at the time. You know how many people found out they couldn't stand JRTs after they got one?

Your experience is your experience. I'm glad you've had a positive one where your DSs are thriving. The fact remains these dogs are not fluffy little creatures. You haven't posted in a while, but now that you've offered stud service, you are posting more, yet it concerns me that you are not acknowledging the breed, what it is being bred for in present day.

While there's potential harm in owning any dog or animal, there are genetics in breeding that warrant caution and breeds that outwardly warrant caution.

And then the training involved to get a DS where it needs to be....You seem to be an excellent trainer and handler and have the Holy Grail of DSs. That's not the norm.

Sorry. A dog is a dog is a dog is what's BS.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

General note: My reply, I realized, was a compilation of various recent posts by Mark, not just to the last post. My apologies for the confusion though my opinion remains the same.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I'm not a trainer. I take mine to trainers and work my dogs. What I mean by a dog is a dog, that any dog you own wants to be your friend and will establish a pack order within your home. Understanding how they process the world around them, that they need a defined dominant lead in their life is the most important thing you can do for them. However they do need a lot of work and time so not trying to gloss over that aspect of ownership and sorry if I made it sound easy which it is not. At all.

Thanks,

M