FYI for Buyers and Sellers

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
Crbrown14
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Love Dutch Shepherds - want one so bad!

FYI for Buyers and Sellers

Post by Crbrown14 »

:doh: So my first post is a downer. Hello, my name is Crissy. I just wanted to take a moment to put a warning out there, whether or not the info is already known I'm not sure - I couldn't find a related topic after searching "scam" or "beware" in the forums, but my skills could be seriously lacking as I'm pretty new to this... In any case!

Recently, I stumbled upon this forum after developing an extreme infatuation with the DS. I was looking for posts regarding suggested breeders, tips, stories, etc. I figured, "Hey, I'll google too and see if I can find anyone near DC with dogs for sale". So long story short I ended up with a scammer (wised up by the second email - I'm smart I swear!) and on top of that they had stolen pictures from a reputable breeder's site (have contacted this person). So people may be using your dog's photo to scam people interested in a DS (might be good to use a watermark like some of Bunker Dog's photos?). Also, for buyers, the scammer's email was smithrobin832 at gmail.com. (address altered; removed the @ symbol) l and they claimed to be out of Mission, KS. You can tell by the second email that it is a scammer (the English language is basically massacred). Hope that helps someone and wasn't a waste of your time. Thanks all!
    Raven
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator
    Tell us about yourself: .

Re: FYI for Buyers and Sellers

Post by Raven »

Thank you.

I will be altering the email address to avoid spam.
    Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
    LyonsFamily
    Training Dog
    Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
    Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Raven wrote:Thank you.

I will be altering the email address to avoid spam.
    Don't they deserve spam though? :lol:
    Stephanie
    'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
    'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
    Raven
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator
    Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I was thinking about the forum-----------------guess my thinking was in reverse. (Mmmm, I'm going to blame prescribed narcotics. :D )
    Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
    Owned-By-Hendrix
    Training Dog
    Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I'll add to this that there is a breeder in WV that was recently selling Big Roy pups that were not actually sired by him, confirmed mostly (still some doubt about claims of breeder buying semen through a broker instead of previous owner but not my place to judge) by the previous owner of Big Roy himself. She also sells DS. Please confirm with the OFFA and Penn Hip databases to confirm health score testing as there have been questions of the truthfulness of some of these claims, but this is a tip I encourage all potential buyers to do and not limited to just this breeder.
    Kay, H, and The SO
    (Pepper's Look-A-Like)
    (Tyson's Soul Twin)
    LyonsFamily
    Training Dog
    Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
    Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Owned-By-Hendrix wrote:Please confirm with the OFFA and Penn Hip databases to confirm health score testing as there have been questions of the truthfulness of some of these claims, but this is a tip I encourage all potential buyers to do and not limited to just this breeder.
    Yes! I've seen so many ads that say OFA excellent with no record, or my favorite OFA correct or OFA perfect (those aren't scores). It's so easy to look dogs up in the data base, everyone should be verifying dogs from any breeder before purchasing or even breeding to those dogs.

There's a breeder advertising her main stud as OFA good when in truth, only his elbows are posted and elbows are just a pass/fail thing. There's no hip scores, which makes me think he didn't pass and she asked for the failed scores to not be posted. Dysplastic dogs from him have been showing up left and right in rescue lately, but people are still buying these dogs.
    Stephanie
    'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
    'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
    Mark77
    Training Dog
    Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

This is exactly why you verify everything and make sure they can provide the paperwork to back it up- further that paperwork can be cross referenced. These aren't exactly cheap animals and you certainly don't want to run into a problem animal or medical issues later on. A lot of people are also dumping failed police dogs through brokers and charging a premium for those as well. Problem is the reason the dogs failed isn't being put out there- a friend bought Mal through a local broker that was supposedly trained and the dog turned on him taking a nice chunk out of his arm.

If the dog isn't registered, certified, and verified- don't buy it.