DS Puppy

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
bph34
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Seeking a Dutch Shepherd for our home and USAR.

DS Puppy

Post by bph34 »

We are actively looking for a Dutch Shepherd from a reputable breeder. The puppy would be integrated into a home with young children and would be worked for USAR with a task force. Must be health tested. If the puppy needs to be shipped we expect to pay for the shipping cost, crate and health cert. Any information or leads would be great.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: DS Puppy

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. I am assuming that USAR is Urban Search and Rescue, which sounds like a great job for a Dutch Shepherd.

It would be helpful if you went on over to the New Member Announcement and introduced yourself. We'd love to hear more about USAR, and what brought you to consider a DS for this type of work.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

You probably have considered rescue, but have some hesitations about damaged goods. However, there's some really good working canines that have been acquired through this path. I recommend a conversation with the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.

You're already expecting to pay for health certification, so that should not be an issue.

I did not seek out a DS, but I got my Radar from the local shelter. He was ~11 months, and with some more dedicated work could probably perform well as a working dog.

As for breeders, there will be other members who are (or know) good breeders and will chime in soon.

Good luck.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I would talk to Bunkerdogs, Les Flores, Northwoods/Thunderhawk, and Vandalia. Battle Ridge K9 could also have some possibilities, I think they have a litter. Cher Car may or may not work, depending on their breedings, and I would do a lot of work into the bloodlines before purchase of any puppy. Welcome to the forum.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
bph34
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Seeking a Dutch Shepherd for our home and USAR.

Post by bph34 »

I would do a lot of work into the bloodlines before purchase of any puppy. Welcome to the forum.
When you say do a lot of work into the bloodlines. I've been on bloedlijnen to look at the parents and history and it shows titles but not sure how to do much more than that. I have a brn for two parents we are looking at from a Kennel in Minnesota. What other work do you recommend?
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Strangely enough typing one of the parents' names into google will yield good results. Look at youtube videos if there are any (keeping in mind sometimes they can be edited, but gives you a fairly decent idea of intensity and bite). Research the grandparents and great grandparents, especially if they're well known, and you'll find a lot of info. Talk with the breeder in depth and if it's a repeat breeding ask if there's anyone you could talk to who has a pup from a previous breeding of the two to get a feel. You can also get on FB/here/workingdogforum and ask around about the lines. Sometimes I even check out the grand parents' lines just to see what all the possible combos are.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

Wow, I guess our 15 years, including but not limited to many SAR and USAR dogs is easily forgotten :?
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I wouldn't say forgotten. Perhaps we can chalk it up to having mostly new members who may not be familiar with you as they are with others??
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

asheleylane wrote:Wow, I guess our 15 years, including but not limited to many SAR and USAR dogs is easily forgotten :?
Posting more often and helping others and just saying Hi to everyone would go along way in keeping your name out there. A reply to the OP about your dogs and talking more to the OP about what they were looking for would help more in keeping your name in the mix.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Before we get off topic...

I believe the OP asked about additional work beyond viewing bloodlines.

This is an excellent opportunity to provide valuable information either by breeders or experienced members.

I am certainly interested in knowing what to look for when researching a working dog.

Thanks.
Michael