ISO E-collar

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
dutchie4real
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Right now Im a tired puppy mama. This is my first Dutch Shepherd (three GSD, 1 chow, 1 husky). Here for information and support.

ISO E-collar

Post by dutchie4real »

Wondering if anyone has a used e-collar they would like to sell. Would like to get one for my boy, but want to see how things go before I get a new one. Hes five months old and about 40 pounds. Thanks
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: ISO E-collar

Post by Dutchringgirl »

may I ask why you are looking for an Ecollar for a 5 month old?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
dutchie4real
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Right now Im a tired puppy mama. This is my first Dutch Shepherd (three GSD, 1 chow, 1 husky). Here for information and support.

Post by dutchie4real »

Like I said in my other post, the breeder we got him from did ZERO work with him. We are starting from scratch with a 40 pound dog and I want to at least eliminate the bad habits-VERY mouthy, nippy-while he is smaller and not be trying to undo issues with an 80 pound monster. Im a female and my two daughters-grown but small- are his primary caregivers/trainers and he is already a powerful lead-head. I need to be able to get his attention and I dont want to yell at him or get physical. I had never considered an ecollar, but Ive read a lot about them on here and think it could be an effective teaching tool. It is much easier to change behaviors, establish rules and relationships with a puppy than waiting until he is bigger and thinks he is in charge.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

We never heard what happened in your other post. What did your vet have to say? Were you able to get a trainer out to evaluate the situation?

Having to apply an E-Color to such a young puppy seems drastic. Proper training will be fine if you can have the patience to follow through.

Trying a shortcut is going to be worse in the end for you and the dog. Do not use an e-collar to simply punish when it does something wrong. That is not how that tool is supposed to be used, and you will damage your dog - a dog that's already shown signs of being real timid.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Re home the dog to someone who cares about the breed and the dog, All you are doing is ruining a puppy. If you need an e collar to get a puppies attention and are avoiding getting physical and yelling you don't deserve a dog. If you can't establish rules and relationships with a puppy using +reinforcment and -punishment, a collar and leash. a marker and a bag of treats then do us all a favor and find another forum
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Might I suggest to look up engagement training. That may be a better option especially since he is so young. Keep him engaged with you and wanting to play with you (or wanting the treats). You will shut him down completely if you try to put an E-collar on him when he doesn't even know the rules. Have fun with him. They are so smart they pick up the rules of whatever game you are playing very quickly.
Patty and Ice
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

With out proper training, an E collar can be very dangerous. You can do more damage than good. You can start with a GOOD trainer and LOTS of training sessions. You both need intense training with Ecollars and any other training collar before going out and putting one on.

This is not the type of dog that you can put a harsh training collar and and just change behaviors. They do learn fast but with correct training.

Find a trainer asap that knows this breed and get into as many classes as possible. Look at Michael Ellis too. buy some DVD.
ImageImage
dutchie4real
Just Whelped

Post by dutchie4real »

Thank you to everyone that had helpful information. I do care very much about this dog and want him to be a happy, healthy, well adjusted member of my family...that is why Im here seeking information and advice, not condescension and derision. When he came out of his shell, he did it whole heartedly!! He has learned so much in such a short time and is generally the high energy, high drive, affectionate pup we were looking for. Training is not an issue, he is learning very fast and I have no problems with how he is progressing. The issue I was looking for a solution to is that sometimes he goes manic and we cant seem to snap him out of it. He is not aggressive or defensive at all! Not food or toy aggressive and even when hes in this wild state he isnt trying to hurt us, but he does, and nothing we do seems to get his attention. As I clearly stated before, I dont want to yell or get physical with him and I am looking for a solution that will be mutually beneficial to us and him. I have successfully trained three GSD and two human children (humans are way harder) and I know that you can do a LOT with a little discipline when they are young and I would rather use a little discipline now than a lot later. I am certainly not stuck to the idea of an ecollar and would never do anything to damage my dog, so if you have any advice on how to snap him out of this euphoric state, it would be appreciated. The vet says he is in great health and super fit, and I haven't been able to find a trainer anywhere near me that has any idea what to do with DS, the one I had contacted was clueless and would have been way too soft, so Im still looking. I like Michael Ellis a lot and have blown up YouTube checking him out!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Is he on a leash at all times while out of the crate? If not, he needs to be and attached to you at all times. This way you can be in control of him at all times.

Explain what you mean by " He goes maniac"?

GSD and children are difficult but a DS can be like something you have never experienced before. I have kids, have had a GSD, and Two DS and a Mal, I trained Ringsport and protection for many years and I can say a DS is like nothing else in this world. Yes, they are easy to train but it can go very wrong with out proper education.

If he is attatched to you, and you always have a distraction handy, that could help.

Explain some situations to us so we can be better help to you. keep watching ME.
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

What area do you live in? Perhaps, there's someone on the forum that knows someone close enough.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

If you mean maniac by running through the house not paying you any attention, and when you try to calm him he nips and takes off running again and acts like a complete idiot I've been there. Quietly and calmly put him in his crate turn off the lights, he needs a nap. It may sound crazy but I learned with mine that when he acted like that it was like a 3 year old kid that was fighting sleep and throwing a temper tantrum. Usually after he took a hour nap he was back on track.
Karen & Xander
dutchie4real
Just Whelped

Post by dutchie4real »

Yes a lot like that, Karenz! He just goes spastic and VERY, nippy. In normal play or interaction he is pretty mouthy, but he is learning and responds well to 'no' and 'stop' at a firm tone, but when he gets all jacked up he bites harder and just wont calm down. Its not even that he gets riled up when we play, most of the time he does it on his own. It makes sense that he is over-tired and needs some quiet time, its just getting him to calm down enough to even get in there without a nip or two. Hes big enough now to hurt, but Im really more concerned about when hes full grown, if we cant nip this in the bud. That being said, he has shown no signs of aggression and normally is very sweet and even calm (sometimes). He isnt trying to hurt us, I just want to make sure he never does.
We are using the leash in the house, now and it helps, but it is really cumbersome for us both. Is there a particular length or kind that works well? We are in Central NC.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, thats crazy puppy stuff. they have so much energy and remember, this breed needs a job and structure. This is why I suggest keeping him on a leash at all times and attatched to you so when he goes into crazy mode, you can keep him in as much control as possible. Put him in the crate to rest. The crate is never punishment, just quiet time.

Hold his muzzle with your hand if you can or redirect with a toy. Even at 5.5 years old Sadie gets jacked and MUST have something in her mouth. She wont bite me or anyone but just gets so frustrated and needs an outlet.

Use a long leash or put two together. I would not let him go too far away from you though at this point since he gets nutty. Or have a crate in the kitchen to put him in while you are doing stuff.
ImageImage
dutchie4real
Just Whelped

Post by dutchie4real »

Well thats encouraging! He loves his crate, just goes in on his own sometimes and has also learned 'in your crate'. He always gets a treat and praise when he does it on command and settles quickly even when he really doesnt want to be in there. We also have a huge fenced yard for him to run and frolic. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. We are still looking for a local trainer so if anyone has a recommendation, just let me know! Thanks!!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dogs are cave animals so they do love their crates. Mine go in them all of the time. Good. let him run around the yard, and play and do some work out there too with him.

Please put a signature so we know where you are, then we can better help you with a trainer
ImageImage
dutchie4real
Just Whelped

Post by dutchie4real »

Ok Ill look at adding a signature, until then Im in central NC.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks !
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Check Sanford NC for a trainer. I think it's called Tarheel something. I had checked into them and had heard good reviews. I never did follow through with them so I can't give a personal review. Maybe someone else here can give more info on them
Karen & Xander
dutchie4real
Just Whelped

Post by dutchie4real »

Great, thank you!
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Tarheel Canine. Jerry Bradshaw is very good at what he does.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)