Vrijheid's Aaron 6/27/2003 - 1/9/2012

In remembrance of our lost friends
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Vrijheid's Aaron 6/27/2003 - 1/9/2012

Post by asheleylane »

It is with great difficulty that I write the news of Aaron's death, a tragic and unexpected loss.
Aaron was of the first-born litter of Vrijheid Kennel, son of Leiru FR3 and Dana SchH3 FH. While his parents were well-known at the time, the realization of what truly great dogs they are was just beginning. Little did I know how much was to come, and that Aaron would be as much of an ambassador for the breed as his sire and dam.
Aaron was purchased and brought home to Utah while I continued vet school in Iowa. I believe his owner Byron actually contacted me via a referral from Judith! Upon arrival in Utah he immediately won hearts with his happy go lucky personality yet with such a BIG attitude for a little puppy! His reckless abandon was hard for a novice handler to harness ;) so he was sent to Washington for training and competition. While I feel somehow responsible that so much time was wasted with Aaron, and that he could have been so much more, I am thankful that he had the opportunity to travel and compete in Schutzhund. While he was never on the podium (and honestly it was a good day if his handler could keep him under full control throughout the protection routine :lol: ), he never failed to be the crowd and helper favorite with his raw power, drive and heart.
Aaron lived to work, but he had such a sweet goofy nature when not working - he would even share his food with the chickens!
Aaron sired only four litters in the United States, with most his kids working in some capacity. His offpspring serve the public well and I hope they will continue his bloodline. I am proud that Aaron has also sired puppies in Europe and will continue to do so in the future, via frozen semen.
Goodbye silly man, I hope you are running free.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Vrijheid's Aaron 6/27/2003 - 1/9/2012

Post by vneerland »

Oh Asheley, how horrible that one of your special ones had to pass this young. :(
May I ask how you lost him? You speak of a tragic loss. is there a lesson for us all to learn and situations to avoid?
My thoughts are with you and his owner at this difficult time.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful boy.
Lauren from Western NC
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Your silly man sounded so very special. I am very sorry for your loss.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Asheley, very sorry for your loss. :alright:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

So sorry to hear about your loss. Very nice words.
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Our hearts are with you, hugs from all of us.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

My heart aches for you. So sorry for your loss.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

sorry for your loss :( sounds like he was one special dog.
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

Poor Aaron, I hope he is running free as well. Sorry for your loss.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

My deepest condolences...a very heart-felt tribute.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I was fortunate enough to have bred Willow to Aaron for his first litter. All of the puppies turned out phenomenal, with 4 certified full patrol K9, 1 SAR, 1 agility/flyball and 1 FR. He produced wonderfully. But what I remember most was when we couldn't get him collected. I asked Ash if we could just ship him here (which is crazy cause you always ship the bitch...). I sent a friend to Chicago to pick him up from the airport and in walks this exceptionally beautiful and SO stable Dutch Shepherd. Right off a plane, 4 hour car ride and still a confident, impeccable personality.

The world lost an awesome dog and one of the best stud Dutch Shepherds in the country. RIP Aaron. Ash, I am so sorry for your loss.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

I am so sorry for your loss. I heard great things about him, but never had the opportunity to meet him:-( Again, I am very sorry!
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

Such sad news. :cry: :cry:
What a great loss this means for you, I wish you strenght in every way and I'd like to express my deepest sympathy.
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

I hadn't thought to come here, and express my sorrow Asheley. I've talked with Les lots in the last few days about what a great dog he was.

I'm honored to have met him, and watched him work. That's the personality I love so much- the drive, and heart to work, but as lovable as can be off the field. What a dog.
Kelly
Koenig