Nico van Neerland

In remembrance of our lost friends
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Nico van Neerland

Post by icvanstra »

All,

Found out today that Nico van Neerland passed away on the January 31st, 2014. He was 16 years old.

Waiting to hear back from Judith if it is okay to repost what she wrote.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Nico van Neerland

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh dear !!!!!!!!! Hugs
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

So very sorry for you Judith. Nico will be remembered, for sure, as an important sire in our DS pedigrees. My heart is crying for you.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Judith, I am so very sorry to hear of Nico's passing. My heart goes out to you. You're in my thoughts.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Oh no!!!! I am so sorry Judith. My deepest condolences and many warm hugs!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Judith -
We are so sorry for your loss... Sending you condolences from South Carolina.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

I am so sorry to hear that. My condolences
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

This is taken from Judith's facebook posting with her permission:
Judith Powell
February 4
Nico van Neerland, 27 November 1997, 31 January 2014

We go back a long way my dear friend. You were a handsome pup when you came into my life, small of stature at the time, but full of personality.

I remember how you would run down the center aisle of the kennel building and hurl yourself into my arms, giving me no choice but to catch you. Your friendly and happy personality was only one side of you though, since I soon figured out that you could easily get mad when pushed. You reserved the latter quality for your decoys and over time, you grew into a serious working dog, possessing all the qualities that a police k9 should have. It lead to a trip across the Atlantic, to Holland, where you not only titled in KNPV PH-1, PH-2 and Objectguard, but competed several times in the PH2 as well as Objectguard national championships and became the 2002 KNPV PH2 champion. While you proved to be very capable of full-score trial performances, the biggest compliments you got came from the true police K9 instructors and handlers who recognized you
belonged in the ranks of the most serious police K9s. The Department of Defense in the USA even enlisted you for their elite breeding program after stringent health and temperament testing.

I am thankful for the breeders who recognized your quality and used you for their breeding program. Thankful for the countless offspring in both KNPV bloodlines as well as in the ranks of FCI dogs. I lost track of the countries where your progeny can be found, all over Europe and the USA all the way to Asia. Your name proudly appears on many a pedigree, and is sadly absent in some others when you were used but, due to
paper-politics, a different sire was listed instead. It was not with my consent or knowledge that you were utilized like that, but that does not make the offspring less related to you, my Nico.

What I will miss most is not your accomplishments though, but your true courage and your devoted love and friendship to me. While training turned you into a warrior of the purest kind, deep inside remained the friendly youngster from your early days. That loving attitude came back to me at the end of your life that I was so fortunate to share, all 16 years of it. I will miss you greatly my dear Nico. It is time to let you go now. How blessed I was by your presence in my life. How empty it will be without you until we meet again in that bright everlasting light of eternity.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

what an absolutely beautiful memorial. Our hearts are with you, Judith.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

that is the best tribute i can imagine for a very important canine. what a very big void he leaves; i am sorry you must endure that, Judith.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka