Yaska van Neerland, * 21-5-1994, † 26-7-2011

In remembrance of our lost friends
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Yaska van Neerland, * 21-5-1994, † 26-7-2011

Post by vneerland »

This past week, I have had to say good bye to my loyal Yaska, my first own Dutch
Shepherd and KNPV PH-I. She was the pup who's birth I anticipated like no others. The girl that I did
not want (because I wanted a boy) and the golden brindle that I did not prefer (because I wanted a black)
But from the first time I saw her, she was impossible to overlook and she became mine, for better, for worse. She was the quintessential Dutch Shepherd with a stong will and a huge personality.
A reliable and fearless working dog, who, after her KNPV title, taught me about drug
work. She would always point out her handlers mistakes and was a patient teacher.
She still worked with me as my drug dog at the ripe age of 12. In daily life, she
behaved perfectly and was an ideal companion. She had no trouble ruling her pack, a
status she never lost despite the fact that she gradually withdrew into the darkness
of her own mind due to dementia. At the end, she had lost her sparking personality,
but never my love and devotion. I will always miss her. Yaska lives on in her offspring, in my heart
and my stories.

Fare well dear Yaska. It was a privilege to share your life, all 17 years, 2 months
and 5 days of it.

Yaska in her prime

And at her old age during our walks, trying to keep up with the pack
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: Yaska van Neerland, * 21-5-1994, +26-7-2011

Post by Sugars Mom »

I am very sorry for your loss. Always tough loosing a loved one.
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

sorry for your loss. A blessing to have had her in your life
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

What a beautiful tribute Judith! I am so sorry for your loss. She was very lucky to have found her way to you and I am sure she was as blessed by your relationship as you were.

Thinking of you and sending hugs.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

She will be always with you :angel:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
syzygy
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have two wonderful van Neerland Dutch Shepherds and play a little at UKC events.

Post by syzygy »

Farewell, Yaska and sleep well. I will miss her--she always managed to be the center of attention and the light in the room. She was brilliant and funny--like a fine lady in a dog suit. She gave me the greatest gift any dog could--her grandchild, my own beloved heart dog. May your spirit live on in your children, grandchildren, and great grandpups for many generations to come. We will miss you terribly.

Ellisa and granddogter Ishi
"I have gone off to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here."
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

So sorry for your loss. I believe dogs go to heaven, otherwise why would we want to end up there? I bet she is there chasing chickens and still watching over you.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Oh Judith, I find myself at a loss for words and tearful in reading your tribute to such a faithful friend. They come to us making such an impact on our lives,and when gone leave loving pawprint memories in our hearts. I am sorry for your loss.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

What a beautiful tribute for a beautiful dog.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

My heart aches for your loss. What a beautiful tribute.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Yaska van Neerland, * 21-5-1994, † 26-7-2011

Post by vneerland »

Thanks to all for the kind words about my old grande dame!
As someone told me, it is hard not to be jealous if you hear how many years I got to spend with her. And while it is sad to have to go on without her, I also know how blessed I was to have her this long. She lived a good life and left a great legacy. It is strange not to have her in my daily routine, but it was a life well lived for a dog well loved. :love:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

So sorry to hear this, Judith!

What a lovely lady! I'm sure you have many stories and many more photos...17+ years is a long time and you must have many fond memories as well.

{{{hugs}}}
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Pit$Bull
Technical Administrator
Tell us about yourself: Trouble - tripawd cancer survivor. - Age 13 Rest in Peace, Sweet Girl.

Duke - rescue - Age 11
Emmi - rescue - Age 5

Post by Pit$Bull »

R.I.P. Yaska
rainbow.jpg
rainbow.jpg (1.03 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
'Spirit' Trouble - Forever in my Heart.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote: She lived a good life and left a great legacy. It is strange not to have her in my daily routine, but it was a life well lived for a dog well loved. :love:
What more could any of us ask? (Doesn't make the loss any easier, tho... :alright: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

She sounds beautiful. I am sure she will live on through memories and off spring. I am sorry to hear about her leaving ...
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve