Book about Navy Seal DS

Read an interesting book lately?
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Book about Navy Seal DS

Post by Karin »

Just finished Senior Chief Turbo: Memoir of a Navy Seal K-9 by R.C. Cook 2011.

This is written from the dogs perspective and based on "actual, first-hand accounts". The author is the wife of a Navy Seal dog handler. Interesting parts include some of his other dogs' early harsh training and the conversion of his handler to more respectful and positive training methods. Some photos add interest and the accounts of Turbo's two deployments are quite interesting. Some humor as Turbo takes his job seriously but is also a chow hound.

Fast read, nothing brilliant from a literary perspective but kind of fun and interesting.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Book about Navy Seal DS

Post by Karin »

I also realize that no one has mentioned:
Trident K9 Warriors: My Tale from Training Ground to Battlefield with Elite SEAL Canines by Michael Ritland and Gary Brozek 2013.

Book is about Michael Ritland who was a Navy SEAL and was inspired by the military K9s. He goes on to become a dog trainer (and broker?) that seems to work specifically for the SEALs. Stuff about dogs, selection and training is pretty interesting. He was featured on a 60 minutes about military canines some time ago.

Again, nothing brilliant from a literary point of view but an interesting read. Oh and he talks about DS, Mals and GSDs so not only a DS book.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Book about Navy Seal DS

Post by centrop67 »

I too just finished Senior Chief Turbo: Memoir of a Navy Seal K-9 by R.C. Cook 2011.

Fun read. Thanks for the heads up. I know all too well about the inevitable, but I liked not having to cry at the end because the dog needed to be put down or worse.

It was quite interesting about how the training might be perceived from the dog's point of view. And, of course, how quickly the DS learns.

One other interesting aspect from the dog's point of view was that the real-life deployment was considered games.

This was a :wtg: :wtg: book for me.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers