Beware the Straw Man

Read an interesting book lately?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Beware the Straw Man

Post by centrop67 »

Beware the Straw Man
The Science Dog Explores Dog Training Fact & Fiction
by Linda P. Case http://thesciencedog.wordpress.com/

This is a very interesting book on discriminating between anecdotal, good research, and bad research information on dog training and behavior.

The book starts out explaining in very easy to understand terms on how to really understand the sources of information on dogs, behavior, and training. After that, it summarizes several studies on all the hot topic issues around behavior and training.

The dog park detractors will probably love the chapter (30) called Dog Park People. The author is also down on dog parks, but the really interesting result of the study is that the behavior of the owners is at the root of the problem. That may not be a surprise to most, but at least there's some research to back up that notion.

It's a relatively short and easy read at 188 pages, and you come away with a better understanding of how to distinguish good and bad information.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Beware the Straw Man

Post by TimL_168 »

I'll add it to the long list!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor