Dutch Shepherd overview

Read an interesting book lately?
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Dutch Shepherd overview

Post by Duke »

Found this despite the generic Web page making me think it would be the worst read. It's actually quite interesting and accurate imo.

What do you agree or disagree with?

http://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/dutch-shepherd/
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Dutch Shepherd overview

Post by Joxgirl »

Easy read. I don't think it will give the general puplic the true picture of the training involved with this dog, or the expected expenses. However if the common folk were to try looking for this dog breed hopefully they would quickly find this isn't just any dog off the street or low maintenance.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The very first item indicated under "best for" is crazy. En is a less active dog in general, but her prey drive is higher...WAY HIGHER than my old hybrid. Some kids-she's fine with. Most kids though...her ears perk up, her posture is prepared for lunging, she grumbles and clacks. I get the impression that this is pretty common for the breed.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 pm The very first item indicated under "best for" is crazy. En is a less active dog in general, but her prey drive is higher...WAY HIGHER than my old hybrid. Some kids-she's fine with. Most kids though...her ears perk up, her posture is prepared for lunging, she grumbles and clacks. I get the impression that this is pretty common for the breed.
I'd have to disagree, Duke gets that way over adult males, that come into his territory unexpected, never with kids. loves kids!