Von Stephanitz

Read an interesting book lately?
eden_hillside
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an active senior/retired Professional Dog Trainer. I currently own a DS female that will be 2 in Sept. She is not my first Working dog, having owned GSD's (German/ American lines) in the past. My DS is mostly black with very little brindle (color fault). Anyway, I have also owned and titled other breeds; Springers, Brittanys, American Staffordshire, Chihuahua, etc. This DS is not like any dog that I have ever worked with before. The breeder of my DS didn't like her temperament. I hope to learn more about this breed from your forum.

Von Stephanitz

Post by eden_hillside »

Just finished, this week The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Pictures by Von Stephanitz. The book is a heavy read, but in the chapter on breeding a concept shocked me so much that I have to share it. I will be as brief as I can, and yes this subject would relate directly to the DS as well.

Stephanitz explains, how the temperament of a dog is not just a product of simple genetics. A dogs environment (how it is kept) and badly timed stressors greatly influence an entire litter (before a pregnant bitch whelps).

Also, breeders with large kennels who were breeding for supply and demand, produced a very different dog mentally, than the small breeder who never used a pen, a kennel or tie out. Large breeders tried to reintroduce the stability of the free running countryside dog back into their lines, but we're met with failure. Makes me think about the DS. How far out in left field are Dutchies from where they were meant to be?

Very interesting read with illustrations. Even dog training equipment of the past hasn't changed much. Head halters, too? Yup.

The book is a bit pricey, but educational even in a modern world.

Thanks, C.Miller
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Von Stephanitz

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

eden_hillside wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:55 am

Stephanitz explains, how the temperament of a dog is not just a product of simple genetics. A dogs environment (how it is kept) and badly timed stressors greatly influence an entire litter (before a pregnant bitch whelps).

no different then humans, nature AND nurture will determine. It is not one or the other. Not surprising. It is no different for any breed or any animal.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:17 pm
eden_hillside wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:55 am

no different then humans, nature AND nurture will determine. It is not one or the other. Not surprising. It is no different for any breed or any animal.
This is so true. Plus diet and health prior to the pregnancy can effect the offspring.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG